Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 10-11-2018 11:29 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
shimceltic
Pioneer
Options

Where do I find planet earth demo on the roku? 

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@shimceltic wrote:

Where do I find planet earth demo on the roku? 

It was there about a week ago and then was removed.  For a few days there was nothing but today on both the Roku+ and Virgin Media V6 it has been replaced with the football test loop.  Same on the Virgin V6 box.  It can be found (when using iPlayer beta) in 'settings\try new features in iPlayer BETA'

shimceltic
Pioneer
Options

Ok, I'd found the football so wondered where the other stuff was  Thanks 

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@blenky wrote:

OK but the short rolling demo of Planet Earth on the iPlayer via the Roku+ looks superb - so I guess I'm OK with the incorrect EOTF curve!  But to be fair you are also comparing a 2018 TV with one from way back in 2016 😆

I'm just pointing out that the EOTF curve is wrong, so unless Samsung fix it, HLG is a very poor implementation.

The 2016 KS8000, with a maximum NITS of over 1,400 should be able to deliver a far more effective HLG performance than my 2018 FZ952 with a maximum NITS of only 790, but because the EOTF curve is so wrong it lacks any real HDR "punch". It's only when I saw correct HLG performance on my new TV that I realised how broken HLG is on the KS8000 using a Roku on HDMI input.

Strange.  I take what you say about the curve but it doesn't lack ANY punch to me.  I have experience of various HDR sources such as physical UHD bluray, Netflix, YouTube and Amazon prime.  I can honestly say the BBC iPlayer UHD tests of the World Cup, Wimbledon and the test loops, after physical discs, are the best examples of HDR I've seen.  There is plenty of 'pop' and clarity. 

I was going to provide photos of the Planet Earth scene shown in demo loop on the Roku compared to physical disc I own - but its been replaed by the football loop!e

chopples123
Voyager
Options

The fact the oled is only 790nits is irelevent as it has far higher contrast and also an advanced tone mapping algo. That is why an Oled doesnt need to be 1000 nits to get the  UHD premium cert

cheers

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@shimceltic wrote:

Ok, I'd found the football so wondered where the other stuff was  Thanks 

The Planet Earth was where the football loop is now.  Only have one test loop at a time.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@blenky wrote:

@tarbat wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@crashcris wrote:

Just received a notification from the BBC that their latest Natural History series "Dynasties" is going to be available in UHD on iPlayer. This should be fantastic. Cannot wait. Starts 11 Nov 2018.

Thank God for my Roku+ or I would not be able to enjoy this in HDR.  I thought we would have got this 'Sky Italia' patch by now.  Will it ever se the light of day?

Except the HDMI input on these Samsung TVs will still use the wrong EOTF curve for HLG content 😞  Having moved from a KS8000 to a new Panasonic FZ952, the difference when playing HLG material is massive.

OK but the short rolling demo of Planet Earth on the iPlayer via the Roku+ looks superb - so I guess I'm OK with the incorrect EOTF curve!  But to be fair you are also comparing a 2018 TV with one from way back in 2016 😆

After sending back a awful q9f I am trying on the 100 day trial of the 75q900 8K tv.  Had it a week now and you tube HDR looks pretty good.  I did set to movie like I had with my ks but it made the HDR very dark and Netflix very poor.  Set to standard all is better but still think the KS9500 was better.  I have watched  some 4K HDR films and things seem to saturated,  a bit like HDR+ in the ks. My son said it did not look real. / I am now watching the BBC hog  loop with standard settings and it is not good. It is just to bright and the contrast is very poor,  wth the colors washed out.  The motion is still an issue and the blurring is very noticeable in the loop. I have till after Xmas with this £7000 TV and at the moment it looks like it is going back. Also now no DTS support,  and no Netflix Atmos. 

Paul

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

After sending back a awful q9f I am trying on the 100 day trial of the 75q900 8K tv.  Had it a week now and you tube HDR looks pretty good.  I did set to movie like I had with my ks but it made the HDR very dark and Netflix very poor.  Set to standard all is better but still think the KS9500 was better.  I have watched  some 4K HDR films and things seem to saturated,  a bit like HDR+ in the ks. My son said it did not look real. / I am now watching the BBC hog  loop with standard settings and it is not good. It is just to bright and the contrast is very poor,  wth the colors washed out.  The motion is still an issue and the blurring is very noticeable in the loop. I have till after Xmas with this £7000 TV and at the moment it looks like it is going back. Also now no DTS support,  and no Netflix Atmos. 

Paul

Good grief man! For £7000 I'd want things to work. Why persist with Samsung for this long? Why persist with LCDs if you've got THAT much money to spend on a TV?!

There is no 8K content, nor will there be for bloomin' years. Even 4K content is quite rare. "Don't buy a first-generation anything" rule certainly applies to 8K.

Just get a big 4K TV that works WELL. Such as this 77" LG OLED for the same price.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/oled-tvs/lg-oled77c8lla.html

To state my bias, of course I have the 55" version of this TV. It's not perfect (no TV tech is yet) but it's beautiful and fantastic.  Not just picture quality - the User Experienc compared with Samsung's horrible UI is night and day. And again I have to wholeheartedly thank this community, the UK government for the 2015 Consumer Act, and Richer Sounds for obeying it.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

Paul

Good grief man! For £7000 I'd want things to work. Why persist with Samsung for this long? Why persist with LCDs if you've got THAT much money to spend on a TV?!

There is no 8K content, nor will there be for bloomin' years. Even 4K content is quite rare. "Don't buy a first-generation anything" rule certainly applies to 8K.

Just get a big 4K TV that works WELL. Such as this 77" LG OLED for the same price.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/oled-tvs/lg-oled77c8lla.html

Got caught in the hype,  and some reviews.  I appreciate SD would struggle on a 75 inch telly but on this it is really bad,  and as my wife likes the old movies she is not happy. It is really blurry.  TV HD is a bit if hit and miss,  sometimes good and then really bad and again no contrast. Funny thing I was watching Netflix House of cards,  and with HDR+ looked better than a Netflix HDR program.  HDR looks over done and to bright rather than deep contrasts,  bit odd really.  Dying that YouTube HDR does look impressive but as my son said it is just to luminous,  rather than looking realistic.  Bit like the shop mode,  and I do have it in home mode with all things of and standard mode.  Don't know if the mods have any idea's.  

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options