Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 23-09-2018 09:01 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@edindundee wrote:

@blenky

Do me a favour.

Switch on your Roku, iPlayer, play the test loop, look at what your TV is set to.

Now go to the "source" button on the TV remote, select a different source, then go back to the Roku source. See what the tv is set to now..................................

Ok during Roku+ iPlayer test loop TV is set to HDR UHD 3840x2160 / 50p.  If I change source and move back the framerate sets itself to 60p.  However if I come out of iPlayer and go back it is again correctly set at 50p.  

TBH I don't know what your point is.  When I start its all correct so why would I mess about with the source button?

Also note I have my Roku connected directly into my AV amp and not into the One Connect Box.

0 Likes
PM06
Journeyman
Options

Hi Blenky

Can you clarify is your V6 box connected directly into your one connect box as I have tried all video combinations and find that the Video resolution does not change on my ks8000 when changing between a hd or uhd channel on the V6. I believe this is a known problem with the V6. Just wondering if you are doing something differently thanks

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@PM06 wrote:

Hi Blenky

Can you clarify is your V6 box connected directly into your one connect box as I have tried all video combinations and find that the Video resolution does not change on my ks8000 when changing between a hd or uhd channel on the V6. I believe this is a known problem with the V6. Just wondering if you are doing something differently thanks

You are correct.  There is a bug with the V6.  To get 4K on UHD channels (BT Sport UHD (555) and the Ultra channel (999) ) you have to set the video output to 2160p only.  I connect directly to my AV amp.  When I set other resolutions as well Netflix would play fine in 4K but as you say virgins own UHD channels would play in HD.  I connect into my AV amp.

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
In Italy new firmware for HLG tested by sky is ok. Now is to Wait for insert in OTN

https://www.digital-forum.it/showthread.php?194610-Sky-4K-su-Sky-Q-valutazioni-tecniche-e-domande-su...
Saverio Casadidio
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:
In Italy new firmware for HLG tested by sky is ok. Now is to Wait for insert in OTN

https://www.digital-forum.it/showthread.php?194610-Sky-4K-su-Sky-Q-valutazioni-tecniche-e-domande-su...

Nice!  Although this is to fix HLG for Sky Q can I take it that this will be released as a general fix for HLG over HDMI?

BTW what is OTN?

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
On the network
Saverio Casadidio
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

@blenky wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

Nice!  Although this is to fix HLG for Sky Q can I take it that this will be released as a general fix for HLG over HDMI?

BTW what is OTN?

Yes. Is a general fix for HLG over HDMI.

Before that OTN I think that new firmware will ne avalable for download and USB installation. 

Saverio Casadidio
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

BTW what is OTN?

Yes. Is a general fix for HLG over HDMI.

Before that OTN I think that new firmware will ne avalable for download and USB installation. 

Many thanks, @Saverio571 ! This is very positive news for everyone :smiling-face:

0 Likes
gfsracing
Navigator
Options

Do we know if it also fixes the washed out colours that the hd fury and 2019 models seemed to suffer from

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@gfsracing wrote:

Do we know if it also fixes the washed out colours that the hd fury and 2019 models seemed to suffer from

Do you  mean 2016 models?  If so my 2016 KS playing HLG via the Roku + iPlayer app was not washed out. However it apparently was not displaying the correct gamma curve. The world cup games still looked fantastic!

0 Likes