Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 23-09-2018 02:15 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
edindundee
Pioneer
Options

On my KS7500 There's no difference in video quality between the V6 HD and the V6 UHD channel 999.

It's not just my eyes, the wife says the same.

The picture looks the same, the telly says it's the same, it is the same.

BT Sport 4k UHD is brighter and sharper than the HD but the telly reports the same settings.

0 Likes
Jep_uk
Pioneer
Options
Have you enabled the uhd setting (cant remember the exact name for the option) on the tv for the hdmi input your virgin box is plugged into?
0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@Jep_uk wrote:
Have you enabled the uhd setting (cant remember the exact name for the option) on the tv for the hdmi input your virgin box is plugged into?

HDMI uhd colour in external device manager

or he hasn’t changed the v6 to output 4K and  1080 is still being sent with bt uhd etc being downscaled

cheers

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@edindundee wrote:

More pish.

I have Virgin at home, they have several sources of UHD and none of them work on my Samsung, do you really expect any of us to give CREDIT to Samsung?

How much do they pay you gfsracing? Perhaps you should work for the Trump organisation with spin like that.

Burger off.

Samsung no more. Phones, microwaves, PC memory, usb sticks, TVs, fridges, washing machines... nowt, Nada. Zero. Zilch.

Samsung is dead.

No need to be rude or be throwing silly accusations about. There's a report about the SEK here:   https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1537441037

It does not list any KS sets as being compatible nor does it say my JS8000 is either, just the JS9000/ JS9500.

Bit disappointing really, I wonder if the JS8000/JS8500 and the KS sets will be included at some point or we're still being left out of the loop.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@edindundee wrote:

On my KS7500 There's no difference in video quality between the V6 HD and the V6 UHD channel 999.

It's not just my eyes, the wife says the same.

The picture looks the same, the telly says it's the same, it is the same.

BT Sport 4k UHD is brighter and sharper than the HD but the telly reports the same settings.

Check your v6 video settings. I have my V6 video output set to 1080i and all other resolutions up to 2160p. If I play BBC 1 HD the TV reports HD 1920x1080 / 50i.  Using the V6 Netflix app and playing Altered Carbon the TV reports it's set to  HDR UHD 3840x2160 / 24p.   Oh and it looks stunning. The new UHD channel also reports it is UHD 3840x2160 and again looks great.

I can clearly see the difference between the V6 HD and UHD offerings.  Also check that your JS has 'HDMI UHD Color'  set to On on the HDMI port your V6 is connected to.

0 Likes
edindundee
Pioneer
Options

There is NO option for "4k" output from the V6 box to a KS 7500 telly. The outputs are set to 2160p passthrough, automatic.

0 Likes
edindundee
Pioneer
Options

BBC HD shows UHD 3840x2160 50p

Virgin UHD channel shows UHD 3840x2160 50p

The Roku SS+ playing the UHD test loop on iplayer shows UHD 3840x2160 60p

We've been here before. The Virgin V6 box uhd channel brings nothing to the table if you have a samsung ks7500.

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@crashcris wrote:

@edindundee wrote:

More pish.

I have Virgin at home, they have several sources of UHD and none of them work on my Samsung, do you really expect any of us to give CREDIT to Samsung?

How much do they pay you gfsracing? Perhaps you should work for the Trump organisation with spin like that.

Burger off.

Samsung no more. Phones, microwaves, PC memory, usb sticks, TVs, fridges, washing machines... nowt, Nada. Zero. Zilch.

Samsung is dead.

No need to be rude or be throwing silly accusations about. There's a report about the SEK here:   https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1537441037

It does not list any KS sets as being compatible nor does it say my JS8000 is either, just the JS9000/ JS9500.

Bit disappointing really, I wonder if the JS8000/JS8500 and the KS sets will be included at some point or we're still being left out of the loop.

Tis all a moot point what with the looming codec 'war' on the horizon.

EDIT: Also, they're asking £270 for the box. Nah. Double Naah thanks, pal.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@edindundee wrote:

BBC HD shows UHD 3840x2160 50p

Virgin UHD channel shows UHD 3840x2160 50p

The Roku SS+ playing the UHD test loop on iplayer shows UHD 3840x2160 60p

We've been here before. The Virgin V6 box uhd channel brings nothing to the table if you have a samsung ks7500.

Sorry you are just plain wrong!  If you have your V6 box set up correctly (see my last post) you will get HD at 1920x1080 and 4K UHD at 3840x2160.  The V6 also correctly sets Netflix to 24p so it is smooth.  I agree the new Ultra channel brings nothing that great but that was not my point.  You keep incorrectly banging on that the V6 cannot pass 4K UHD to a KS TV.  IT CAN.  I know as I have one.  It also since the last firmware update it passes HDR. if Samsung do fix the HLG over HDMI it will also pass UHD HLG from iPlayer when the BBC do their next trial.  So can we now move on from this?

Edit: You also have not set up your Roku+ correctly.  When I play the iPlayer UHD test loop it outputs to my KS at HDR UHD 3840x2160 / 50p.   Check the Rokus advance settings and look for the auto-adjust display referesh rate and set it to enabled.

edindundee
Pioneer
Options

@blenky

Do me a favour.

Switch on your Roku, iPlayer, play the test loop, look at what your TV is set to.

Now go to the "source" button on the TV remote, select a different source, then go back to the Roku source. See what the tv is set to now..................................

0 Likes