Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 22-09-2018 06:08 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@ne_on wrote:

At least we know this much. There’s 417 pages here made up off people that aren’t happy with Samsung . I think 80 percent of us will not be buying a Samsung in future. Hopefully more and people will see the truth and Samsung will have to evolve or be extinct. Wishful thinking haha

Either way, I'm out. It's been a fun ride, folks, but I'm not getting into a p*****g contest over change logs!

ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options

Unless something drastically changes I can whole heartedly agree from my point.

This is the last time I will buy a Samsung TV & Surround sound system. Nothing but problems & little to zero lack customer service.

That said, I'll probably still buy there phones. Unless that goes to ***** too.

So many Samsung products, so many problems...One day I will learn!
gfsracing
Navigator
Options

Finally some credit for Samsung

the HLG update will be with us soon for 2016 TVs as it has been successfully tested and passed by Sky

Samsung has also confirmed  that older tv  will be able to get a evolution kit to make them compatible

samsung has come for a lot of criticism on this thread maybe rightly so but they have come up with the goods

HLG did not exist when the TV came out so you could not blame Samsung. Yes iplayer will still not work 4K HDR but again this is the same scenario at least there will be a workaround for this once the hlg over HDMI update comes out

i think the update will also fix the gamma errors that even the 2018 TVs have had. So Samsung will have to schedule multiple updates for a wide range of TVs 

hope the hdr from sky is as stunning as some of the YouTube clips when it’ finally comes out

dunwell
Voyager
Options

What’s the source for this?

gfsracing
Navigator
Options

Read the Italian forums there is copy of correspondence from Samsung

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@gfsracing wrote:

the HLG update will be with us soon for 2016 TVs as it has been successfully tested and passed by Sky

Samsung has also confirmed  that older tv  will be able to get a evolution kit to make them compatible

samsung has come for a lot of criticism on this thread maybe rightly so but they have come up with the goods

HLG did not exist when the TV came out so you could not blame Samsung. Yes iplayer will still not work 4K HDR but again this is the same scenario at least there will be a workaround for this once the hlg over HDMI update comes out

i think the update will also fix the gamma errors that even the 2018 TVs have had. So Samsung will have to schedule multiple updates for a wide range of TVs 

hope the hdr from sky is as stunning as some of the YouTube clips when it’ finally comes out

So this is a general update to fix HLG over HDMI and not just restricted to fixing a Sky issue? 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@blenky wrote:

@gfsracing wrote:

So this is a general update to fix HLG over HDMI and not just restricted to fixing a Sky issue? 

What I cannot understand is why this info is from Italy and not from the mods here if it is going to sort one of the issues with the ks and js. Surely if this was the case Samsung UK would also have that information. 

Paul

edindundee
Pioneer
Options

More pish.

I have Virgin at home, they have several sources of UHD and none of them work on my Samsung, do you really expect any of us to give CREDIT to Samsung?

How much do they pay you gfsracing? Perhaps you should work for the Trump organisation with spin like that.

Burger off.

Samsung no more. Phones, microwaves, PC memory, usb sticks, TVs, fridges, washing machines... nowt, Nada. Zero. Zilch.

Samsung is dead.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@edindundee wrote:

More pish.

I have Virgin at home, they have several sources of UHD and none of them work on my Samsung, do you really expect any of us to give CREDIT to Samsung?

How much do they pay you gfsracing? Perhaps you should work for the Trump organisation with spin like that.

Burger off.

Samsung no more. Phones, microwaves, PC memory, usb sticks, TVs, fridges, washing machines... nowt, Nada. Zero. Zilch.

Samsung is dead.

I have a KS TV and a VM V6.  All virgins UHD content, what there is,  plays extremely well. The missing link is HLG over HDMI for their iPlayer app. 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@edindundee wrote:

More pish.

Burger off.

Samsung is dead.

I do remember @paul1111 got some serious hassle for actually questioning some of these claims coming from the Italian website. I do remember we were told that the KS was able to do HLG over HDMI, by an Italian poster (not going to name as I don't want the same abuse), and was told he/she was using a sat receiver and was receiving HLG broadcasts. It was amusing some months later when the same person posted an article that said the KS could not receive HLG over HDMI.

There does seem to be a lot of misinformation, and some times unfair abuse, so unless it actually comes from the mods here, I take with a pinch of salt.

Paul