Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 02-08-2018 11:27 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Nah, it's more than that. It's the incomplete and fudged EME API's on Tizen 2.4 that stops DVB-DASH support.

Samsung were even dishonest in their attempts to explain away and shift the blame onto the BBC when the reason is all there in their own support documentation!

SHIVERME
Journeyman
Options

It’s all gone very quiet. Any hope I had that a fix would be issued is slowly fading away...

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@SHIVERME wrote:

It’s all gone very quiet. Any hope I had that a fix would be issued is slowly fading away...

Not a chance, that's why KS owners refund is quite popular.

Paul

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@SHIVERME wrote:

We've known with 100% certainty for many months that there's no "fix", and learned that the situation was set in stone before the first KS rolled off the production lines. It's quiet in the thread only because we have our answer and the technical reasons behind it. All detailed earlier in this thread, and summarised numerous times throughout it too. There is nothing left to discuss. HTH :smiling-face:

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@SHIVERME wrote:

We've known with 100% certainty for many months that there's no "fix", and learned that the situation was set in stone before the first KS rolled off the production lines. It's quiet in the thread only because we have our answer and the technical reasons behind it. All detailed earlier in this thread, and summarised numerous times throughout it too. There is nothing left to discuss. HTH :smiling-face:

Yes are so right. 

Its odd how some here were defending Samsung have gone very quite. I am thinking about our Italian friend,  and some I have seen on AV Forums. They have seemed to have gone quite. Samsung don't care,  they make so much money from everything else.  

Paul

gfsracing
Navigator
Options

There is no fix for the Iplayer but the Italian Moderator has confirmed that tests are being carried out on the HLG fix

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@gfsracing wrote:

There is no fix for the Iplayer but the Italian Moderator has confirmed that tests are being carried out on the HLG fix

Hope so but think we have heard this before. Are they replacing the main board with an updated operating system because that seems the only answer. Or a bit more time wasting. 

Paul

jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@gfsracing wrote:

Hope so but think we have heard this before. Are they replacing the main board with an updated operating system because that seems the only answer. Or a bit more time wasting. 

Paul

The HLG fix that is apparently being tested is to do with HLG over HDMI.

The issue with the OS only affects the bult in iPlayer app as DVB-DASH support is required for UHD/HDR iPlayer and we know this isn't supported by the TV's (and never will be).

The best we can hope for at this point is a fix for HLG over HDMI so we can atleast enjoy HLG from external devices like Sky, Virgin etc... or use an external device to watch UHD/HDR iPlayer content such as the Roku streaming stick.

gfsracing
Navigator
Options

A 2018 owner in Italy has reported that the HLG curve via HDMI is not correct ie washed out as indicated by tarbat using a HD Fury on a KS 2016 TV

Samsung will be working to fix this on a 2018 TV.  Assuming it is the same error on the 2016 they will hopefully be able to build this fix into the HLG via HDMI fix hence possibly why it has taken some time

Imagine thr response on here if a fix was released and  the gamma issue not corrected 

0 Likes
Klpd
Apprentice
Options

Re Refunds ... what woudl be the situaiton if i bought this TV second hand off some one on ebay ?

(ks9500) 

0 Likes