Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 30-06-2018 10:25 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@F1NNU wrote:

Quick question for Tarbat - would the Integral be able to act as a switch for two HDCP 2.2 inputs to one output?

Yes. I’ve used mine with the Roku Stick+ on one input and Sky Q on the other input.

F1NNU
Journeyman
Options

Thanks tarbat.

Looks like I will need one for SkyQ and BT TV UHD box......hopefully they will both be transmitting football in 4k HLG next season!

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@F1NNU wrote: 
Looks like I will need one for SkyQ and BT TV UHD box......hopefully they will both be transmitting football in 4k HLG next season!

Just remember that even with the HDFury sending the corrected EDID, the TV still doesn’t used the correct HLG curve.  You’ll get the rec.2020 colour space, but not the HLG EOTF.

0 Likes
ne_on
Pioneer
Options
@mrtickle I see. Thanks for taking the time out to help me.
So basically bottom line is to allow. Even if the tele doesn’t seem to have problems displaying it (which my doesn’t seem to have). As a game such as forza7 which is 4k60 will look better with it on due to 10 bit not being available and this unlocks the 12bit mode. I think I understand. Just gonna tick anyway.
It’s wierd because all this time I’ve been thinking that 12 bit has nothing to do with me due to us only having hdr10 on the samsung ks. And even the Xbox one having hdr 10 and not dolby vision.
Maybe I’m still confused. Haha ahhh well. Nice one anyway mate.
F1NNU
Journeyman
Options
Tarbat, Thanks for the heads up.......have seen your posts :smiling-face:

After watching the World Cup on the Roku in rec.2020 and even with an incorrect HLG curve, it looks so much better/brighter/vivid than Sky and BT UHD..........I keep having to check I have the brightness set correctly when I put on the Sky or BT......it looks so dull, whereas before the World Cup I was extremely happy.

Have a 5 year warranty from JL, so no intention to change until that runs out.

Thanks again.
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@ne_on you're welcome. Yes. Turn everything on and forget it :smiling-face:

10bit and 12bit have been called "deep colour" in the past. In the days when nothing was outputing them! And I never really understood what it meant at th etime.

We have 10bit panels for our TVs, but they accept a 12bit signal just fine and down-sample it to 10bit for display.

And you'll see that for some HDMI modes, the 12bit version is used as a "container". It's only got a 10bit resolution picture in it, but there's no 10bit mode to use, so we use the 12bit mode instead.

example. 8 bit, we know has 256 possible values, 0-255.

10 bit, we know has 1024 possible values, 0-1023 but instead, why not think of those values as

1.25, ... etc  up to 255 on the 8-bit scale.

0 is still black and 255 is still full white, but we have more resolution, more steps, and less visible "banding". Instead of only 256 different pure blues going from dim to bright we have 1024, and the "whole number" blues on both scales are the exact same colour as each other.

The same thing applies when using a 12bit "container" but only putting a 10bit picture in it, as in the 12bit 4:2:2 mode. You just aren't using all of the precision that the 12bit mode could carry. A bit like having decimal places which you don't use. They are zeros which are just there and not filled with 0.25, 0.5, 0.75 etc.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@F1NNU wrote:
Tarbat, Thanks for the heads up.......have seen your posts :smiling-face:

After watching the World Cup on the Roku in rec.2020 and even with an incorrect HLG curve, it looks so much better/brighter/vivid than Sky and BT UHD..........I keep having to check I have the brightness set correctly when I put on the Sky or BT......it looks so dull, whereas before the World Cup I was extremely happy.

Have a 5 year warranty from JL, so no intention to change until that runs out.

Thanks again.

My thoughts exactly.  Samsung have been gits over this but this is the best TV I have ever owned.  Two years in and the PQ is still stunning and like you its under a five year JL warranty..  As you say the football via the Roku+ is a sight to behold.

ne_on
Pioneer
Options

@mrtickle. Your very smart when it comes to this stuff.great explanation and diagram.

is there any way on the Samsung ks7000 to see what colour depth and chroma we’re using like Vincent does?

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

Very kind. No, there isn't much to my annoyance. The Info banner is it. My commentary on what it should look like, but Samsung won't do it: 😞

Source-info3.png

Vincent said he used that projector specifically to get those displays for that particular video.

MOST displays don't give the information :smileyfrustrated:

0 Likes
ne_on
Pioneer
Options

Lastly, from looking at your table. It seem that a watching 4k blu Ray in hdr which are 4k24 shouldn’t have any problem displaying at 4.4.4 with a decent cable given the obtainable bandwidth. Having the 4.2.2 checked on the Xbox wouldn’t downgrade would it as it would be a lower bandwidth therefore easier? Or does it go for the best first?