Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 27-06-2018 09:41 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

It's the logs from their servers, like every website in the world. I can't see anything stating it is using personally-identifiable information.

For example, I'm sure http://gs.statcounter.com/browser-version-market-share isn't breaching GDPR! :smileylol:

Difference there is it's transparent with the data it's using, whereas if the Beeb is capturing the EDID, obviously they could be receiving more data than they need to do the job.

This could be the tell that shows us [i]how[/i] they're identifying the compatible sets on their list, so it stands to reason they're capturing more than just the resolutions the set is capable of delivering.

I remember with the Sky 3D trial they wanted to know everything about the set right down to serial number.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@Moily wrote:

Interesting that only 1 of the 2 games being broadcast simultaneously last night were offered in UHD. 

Not really, they just don't have the network capacity to offer it - and more likely the actual physical kit to offer all the streams.

They've explained in that R&D blog they only have a few of the updated Radix servers to upload to AWS, they are probably constrained by that too (which also explains the 1-minute delay we get on the download as it streams off the cloud).

Moily
Pathfinder
Options

Yes, I meant interesting from a business perspective rather than a technical one.  You would expect they would want to run as large a trial as they possibly could and running 2 UHD streams would help with that.  

It looks like they are a long way from offering this as a mainstream product, especially with only Centre Court being included in the Wimbledon trial, where they have greater (full?) control over the whole chain.  They are choosing not to invest in the extra infrastructure to trial multiple UHD streams at this stage, whereas I would have expected them to be at the point where that is perfectly feasible.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Moily wrote:

Yes, I meant interesting from a business perspective rather than a technical one.  You would expect they would want to run as large a trial as they possibly could and running 2 UHD streams would help with that.  

It looks like they are a long way from offering this as a mainstream product, especially with only Centre Court being included in the Wimbledon trial, where they have greater (full?) control over the whole chain.  They are choosing not to invest in the extra infrastructure to trial multiple UHD streams at this stage, whereas I would have expected them to be at the point where that is perfectly feasible.

Eh? They ARE already running the biggest trial they possibly can at this moment in time. What do you want, the moon on a stick?! :smiling-face:

Your expectations are unrealistic, to put it mildly :smiling-face:

The BBC, co-creators of the HLG format which they have given to the world, are not "choosing not to invest", at all, I think that's a ridiculous and untrue thing to say. Just because they are not yet as far along the process as you want them to be, doesn't mean they are not as far along the process as it is humanly possible to be now.

Of course it is a long way from a mainstream product. All you need to do is read the blogs with links published here, to see how much blood sweat and tears went into getting just this ready for the football world cup. This is absolutely cutting edge stuff, to even build the infrastructure that they have at the moment. It's clear that they are doing the maximum that they can - if it's not enough for you I'm sure you'll find a better alternative HDR streaming service currently running on ITV or Sky. :smileyfrustrated: 

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@Moily wrote:

As I say, I just don't think they have the physical equipment in place at the point where it's going Radix -> CDN. Radix is only designed to scale well with HD content, but for UHD they've essentially built a brand new production chain from scratch.

I think the chicken's are coming home to roost a little for them in terms of the distribution system they've gone for, however.

0 Likes
BobL
Journeyman
Options

At the risk of asking a previously answered question I am trying to find out the following:

Has anyone had success with the newish Amazon Fire TV3 (pendant shaped one) in showing BBC iPlayer in UHD on their K series TV.   I have had three lengthy online chats with Amazon technical support who robustly say it will work but I have yet to see it (tried to watch the match last night but no UHD).  I bought the AFTV3 a few days ago on the premise that their claim was correct, if it isn't I guess I should get the Roku+ device. Any help is appeciated. 

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

No, it doesn't work.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@BobL wrote:

At the risk of asking a previously answered question I am trying to find out the following:

Has anyone had success with the newish Amazon Fire TV3 (pendant shaped one) in showing BBC iPlayer in UHD on their K series TV.   I have had three lengthy online chats with Amazon technical support who robustly say it will work but I have yet to see it (tried to watch the match last night but no UHD).  I bought the AFTV3 a few days ago on the premise that their claim was correct, if it isn't I guess I should get the Roku+ device. Any help is appeciated. 

I've had one since December. No support for BBC UHD streams at all; neither SDR not HDR.

This is the same Amazon that claims that they are streaming HDR10+ on prime video, yet there is no evidence whatsoever that they are (and some evidence to the contrary).

0 Likes
NS3
Student
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@BobL wrote:

I've had one since December. No support for BBC UHD streams at all; neither SDR not HDR.

This is the same Amazon that claims that they are streaming HDR10+ on prime video, yet there is no evidence whatsoever that they are (and some evidence to the contrary).

... and the same Amazon that is telling me that the Amazon Prime app on the AppleTV 4K plays back 5.1 encoded 4K videos in 5.1 DD when all I ever get on my setup is 2.1 DD Stereo  

NS3
Student
Options

While I'm at it, I'm a new member of this forum who found it whilst searching to find out why my 2016 Samsung 4K TV (KS8000) isnt showing the presence of any UHD World Cup matches on the BBC iPlayer app on the SmartHub of the TV. Add me as a furious soon to be ex-Samsung supporter. Whilst I got this TV at a discount when the 2017 models got released last year, I still paid nearly £1000 for it and am generally very pleased with it, except now to discover that it isnt entirely compatible with current generation of 4K formats.

Anyway, I got wind of the Roku SS+ solution in the past few pages and have ordered one.  To save reading back through too much of this thread could someone point me at a page number that has a post giving the recommended setup for this device so that I can hopefully finally watch some of the UHD world cup coverage before it all ends!

Thanks

NS3  

0 Likes