Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 24-06-2018 05:15 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@Markbo wrote:

Looks like the additional recent sales of the Roku Straming Stick, possibly genereated by comments here has caused most retailers including Argos and Amazon to revert to the old price of nearly £80. Currys  seem to be the only retailer still offering £20 off but for how long.

Interesting article from the BBC on their website about Wimbledon in 4kHDR looks like there will be a special edition of iPlayer for Sky Q receivers without HDR. I wonder if the BBC may produce a non HDR 4K version of iPlayer for out TVs if that were possible. It suggests the bigger viewing area is a feature of 4k cameras.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44550307

Blatant profiteering going on, of course, only an ***** wouldn't see that the price would inevitably rise as demand increased.

The SkyQ feed will probably just ignore the HLG metadata stream, in the same way the PS4 app does now. There's nothing separate about it.

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

Just wait and see how much an HD Fury Integral will cost when it becomes the only way to watch SkyQ HDR....

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote: 
The bit about Sky Q is quite alarming actually! It suggests to me that Sky UK are months away from rolling out HDR, and it's not coming soon enough to the UK. The Italian SkyQ users have already had it for months now.

Maybe that’s because all the Italian Sky Q users have the v2 Sky Q box, whereas many in the U.K. are still on the v1 box with the older chipset.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Blatant profiteering going on, of course, only an ***** wouldn't see that the price would inevitably rise as demand increased.

The SkyQ feed will probably just ignore the HLG metadata stream, in the same way the PS4 app does now. There's nothing separate about it.

HLG doesn't use metadata, that's the whole point :smiling-face: . Hybrid Log Gamma is a picture format which serves both SDR and HDR viewers in a single package.

Agree it's profiteering.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@mrtickle wrote: 
The bit about Sky Q is quite alarming actually! It suggests to me that Sky UK are months away from rolling out HDR, and it's not coming soon enough to the UK. The Italian SkyQ users have already had it for months now.

Maybe that’s because all the Italian Sky Q users have the v2 Sky Q box, whereas many in the U.K. are still on the v1 box with the older chipset.

Ah, very interesting! Thanks.

I got badly burned in the past and learned the hard way: NEVER. EVER, buy the first generation of any hardware product. EVER. When it comes to Sky, well, just double the number of nevers and evers! :smiling-face:

Moily
Pathfinder
Options

@Markbo wrote:

Looks like the additional recent sales of the Roku Straming Stick, possibly genereated by comments here has caused most retailers including Argos and Amazon to revert to the old price of nearly £80. Currys  seem to be the only retailer still offering £20 off but for how long.

Costco online still have them for £54.99, and they deliver in 2 business days.

0 Likes
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

Ah, very interesting! Thanks.

I got badly burned in the past and learned the hard way: NEVER. EVER, buy the first generation of any hardware product. EVER. When it comes to Sky, well, just double the number of nevers and evers! :smiling-face:

You don't actually own the SkyQ boxes. If you cancel your SkyQ subscription, you have to return the boxes - not sure about the dish though as mine was part of my SkyHD package and I still have my HD box too. The 'advantage' of not owning the Box is that if there is a 'replacement' or it breaks down after the 'year' you normally get with electronic hardware, you do not need to pay for repairs.

If the original SkyQ boxes can't be upgraded to support HDR - whether that's HLG or HDR10 (assuming Netflix is still coming and will offer HDR too) - but others can and will, Sky will have to replace all those early boxes at cost to them. Maybe they can take those OG boxes and recycle but its still their problem because it was there short-sightedness and change in policy to retain ownership of the hardware.

Anyway, that's a bit off topic but I thought it was better to inform you of the current situation with regards to the SkyQ boxes.

As for 4k HLG iPlayer, we are still in exactly the same position we have been in for months. The inbuilt app is not upgradeable with the current OS. Its like trying to run the GTAv PS4 disc with the updates and First Person view on a PS3. The App is software and its got nothing to do with 4k/HLG - which is why devices like the Roku can run the latest app and PS4 Pro can run the 4k version and both can send 4k to the TV and display it. iPlayer is running on these devices and just sending the image/sound to the TV - like a game is running on PS4 and sending just the image to the TV.

The only thing that is currently preventing HLG from other devices is the EDID which doesn't tell these devices it can play HLG and therefore these devices that require that information before sending HLG won't send HLG. Because the EDID states its a 4k TV, you do get 4k from these devices. Because it says it can receive HDR10 format HDR, then devices that are HDR will send HDR - like the Xbox One S/X. Roku doesn't need to know its connected to a HLG enabled TV and will send it anyway.

Its better to think of the app as just 'software' and the 4k and HLG version of iPlayer like the PS4/XB1 versions of games like Battlefield 4 but the TV is more like the PS3 and you can still play Battlefield 3 but have to make do with the lower res version and smaller lobbies - no 32vs32 - unless you upgrade to newer hardware. Fortunately though, there is an option for us because we can use external hardware that can run the higher version of iPlayer and IF Samsung complete their HLG update as playing it is only 'half' the job (as the other half is notifying devices that it can now play HLG), then it won't be 'such' an issue.

Its similar to buying an Xbox One and then they release the S so you can now get HDR in games like Gears 4 or FH3 but all those OG Xbox owners can't access HDR. A year later along comes the X which adds 4k to games but the S isn't giving you 4k in games - even though its able to deliver 4k from streaming and its Bluray player. There is a clear reason why the S can't deliver 4k games at a playable level because the hardware specs are not powerful enough.

That is NOT making excuses - I still think Samsung should have built more flexibility into their OS to be upgradeable and to fully support a TV for at least 5yrs. I still expect Samsung to do full job when adding support - its almost pointless adding HLG to a TV if devices won't send HLG because its not aware its connected to a HLG compatible TV. Its like giving you free wifi but not giving you a password to connect!!

shimceltic
Pioneer
Options

I've put the colour to native (roku) and i think it looks better  Grass more green  japan's shirt darker and the green on Senegal kit stands out  

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

General question about today's stream of the England vs Panama match. What was the latest into the stream did anybody get the UHD? Did anybody try and NOT get onto the stream and how many mins in?

Personally I logged in right at the start and didn't dare log off till the end, but wished I could as I wanted to check out the Youtube stats for nerds to see what speed the Roku was picking up.

Many thanks.

0 Likes
Johneboy
Apprentice
Options

I posted this I the refund thread...but thought I'd post this here as it was thanks to this thread I've got myself sorted and to help anyone who might miss it.

After reading the various threads here I thought I'd try my luck with Richer Sounds, whom I bought my 55KS7000 from in 2016. I was expecting a bit of a battle, so I explained the issue at great length in my initial message and this was the first reply...

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your email, I’m sorry to hear about this. We are aware of the issues and we are happy to offer a remedy to the situation. Part of the current range of 2018 model  Samsung TVs now have the Smart Things dongle built in and now support HLG as well as having full HDR support.

We are happy to offer you an exchange for a Samsung UE55NU8000, see below link, let me know what you think.

With kind regards

Totally shocked but overwhelmed Richer Sounds are aware of the issue and happy to replace any of the KS series of tv's without fuss.

In one phone call the rep told me he alone is dealing with ALL these particular Samsung HDR issues as they've had a few of them already. 

I wasn't thrilled with the new Samsung on offer though (didn't like the stand, hasn't got good reviews) so wanted to switch to OLED and make the most of the situation. Saw the excellent Philips 55 inch OLED with Ambilight which was £300 more but got them to price match with John Lewis who were selling it for £1499 - the same I payed for my Samsung 55KS7000 2 years ago! They agreed a straight swap and I'm getting my new Philips OLED TV, for absolutely free, tomorrow!

Couldn't be happier with Richer Sounds and their superb customer service.

So, If you got a KS model from Richer Sounds, get in touch with them. And if you didn't...next time, buy from Richer Sounds! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

0 Likes