Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 22-06-2018 03:01 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Moily
Pathfinder
Options

@crashcris wrote:

@Moily wrote:

Wimbledon to be shown in UHD on the iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/44557119 

That will probably be a much better set of trials than this World Cup as at least it'll be the BBC filming it, and hopefully the image on the screen will just be the tennis court action and not 3/4 audience and 1/4 court.

Yes, that was my thinking, too.  Can't wait to see Centre Court in 4K HDR. Especially f the weather stays like this!

ne_on
Pioneer
Options

It’s been previously suggested to select ‘4k at 60fps’

Now we should enable adjust frame rate? 

Which one is it guys?\

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

Both :smileytongue:

You select 4k/60 in the Display options

You enable the automatic switching of display / frame rates in Advanced Options menu

The two are not mutually exclusive.

edindundee
Pioneer
Options

@tarbat

@dunwell

Thanks, set Roku to auto adjust, still doesn't look as sharp, smooth or as deep as the V6. Info still says 60p. Remember this is the test loop, until a live game is on.

@all

What do you want me to check when the V6 is playing hdr? The back light was at 20 last night, I've never adjusted it (even if it can be adjusted).

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

The test loop isn't at 50hz as far as I'm aware. The 50hz will only kick in for the live World Cup matches.

I agree the test loop looks pretty underwhelming.

Re the V6 box you have intrigued me. Can we get a definitive confirmation on whether the KS TV is showing an HDR picture when playing the World Cup trial through it? Previous reports have suggested that the V6 has only been displaying SDR, which is what we would expect if it handles EDID correctly.

0 Likes
ne_on
Pioneer
Options

@dunwell Ah I see. Thanks

0 Likes
ne_on
Pioneer
Options

Nigeria game looking good. Makes that kit look that much better.

anyone notice one of the close up camera up the top near Iceland’s goal forgot to turn on hdr mode lol ?

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@dunwell wrote:

The test loop isn't at 50hz as far as I'm aware. The 50hz will only kick in for the live World Cup matches.

I agree the test loop looks pretty underwhelming.

Re the V6 box you have intrigued me. Can we get a definitive confirmation on whether the KS TV is showing an HDR picture when playing the World Cup trial through it? Previous reports have suggested that the V6 has only been displaying SDR, which is what we would expect if it handles EDID correctly.

Yes I can confirm that a V6 connected to KS will offer the UHD stream via its iPlayer app but it does not send the HLG. So you get a very good SDR UHD experience. 

Jay108
Voyager
Options
edindundee
Pioneer
Options

OK, Serbia v Suisse live.

To my eyes on my ks7500 the V6 box looks better than the Roku.

The backlight when using the V6 box is at 14.

The backlight when using the Roku is at 20.

Neither dislay the HLG logo.

Both display the BBC UHD logo on the top right.

Roku HDR UHD 3840x2160 / 60p HDMI UHD Color under telly remote Info button

V6 UHD 3840x2160 / 50p HDMI UHD Color under source then Enter button on telly remote

So the differences seem to be

Roku HDR 60p

V6 50p

Why do I prefer the V6?

0 Likes