Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 21-06-2018 05:16 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
rozel
Voyager
Options

So I'll ask again,  has anyone succeeded in getting anywhere with Currys?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@rozel wrote:

So I'll ask again,  has anyone succeeded in getting anywhere with Currys?

Proberbly best place to ask is in KS Refunds thread. To answer Currys are playing hard ball and wemay need someone to go down the ADR or section 75  Credit Card refund. Also there is court which costs £60 but after the ARD result against Richer Sounds I think it is very unlikly that they would allow it to goto court but to settle. The thing with the law is they can keep saying no until a judgement is made against them. With Richer Sounds they lost the ADR and seems like J Lewis are now doing the right thing so just needs a bit more of a push with currys. I do know with dealling with them that I would never but from them again.

Paul

Markbo
Explorer
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@Moily wrote:

Wimbledon to be shown in UHD on the iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/44557119

so that will mop up some more Samsung KS owners who weren't particularly bothered about the football but will be miffed about not being able to see the tennis in its full glory on their expensive TVs!

When more and more UHD content is rolled out by the Beeb then Samsung will find themselves on the receiving end of a tidal wave of complaints, hopefully.

People who are content with Roku perhaps should keep in mind that if Roku does upgrade firmware in the future it may stop working.  This is my main concern. Shame because I really like my ks9500 TV.

It’s been suggested here that a future firmware update to include EDID by Roku could render their solution to our BBC iPlayer issues ineffective, however, it does occur to me, why would Roku want to do that. Surely the streaming stick is marketed for Smart TV owners whose TVs aren’t as smart as they could or in our case should be. The latest 4K Smart TVs are likely to have everything onboard that the Roku Stick provides, so introducing the EDID handshake would only exclude them from working with older TVs which is surely the target market Roku are aiming this device at.

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options
Vincent Teoh put up a video on the picture quality of the World Cup in HLG on the iPlayer. He used a new Panasonic OLED. He said the difference in picture quality from game to game is due to the varying bit rates. For example, during the first few games, the picture quality was great. However, during the England game, the bit rate was lowered significantly due to increased traffic, and he noticed a softer image with muted colors. I think some people here mentioned they experienced the same thing, and they thought it might be because of the TV. But it looks like that was normal.
Moily
Pathfinder
Options

I think it may be due to local bandwidth issues. If dropping below 40Mbit then the resolution drops. 

During the England game the PQ on mine was excellent, even the Mrs commented on how good it was!

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@Markbo wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

@Moily wrote:

so that will mop up some more Samsung KS owners who weren't particularly bothered about the football but will be miffed about not being able to see the tennis in its full glory on their expensive TVs!

When more and more UHD content is rolled out by the Beeb then Samsung will find themselves on the receiving end of a tidal wave of complaints, hopefully.

People who are content with Roku perhaps should keep in mind that if Roku does upgrade firmware in the future it may stop working.  This is my main concern. Shame because I really like my ks9500 TV.

It’s been suggested here that a future firmware update to include EDID by Roku could render their solution to our BBC iPlayer issues ineffective, however, it does occur to me, why would Roku want to do that. Surely the streaming stick is marketed for Smart TV owners whose TVs aren’t as smart as they could or in our case should be. The latest 4K Smart TVs are likely to have everything onboard that the Roku Stick provides, so introducing the EDID handshake would only exclude them from working with older TVs which is surely the target market Roku are aiming this device at.

They weren't even aware the stick was HLG compatible! What makes you think they know about the EDID. 

Smile and wave on this one, smile and wave.

edindundee
Pioneer
Options

Ooops. I may have just wasted £60 on my Roku stick. Got it last night, set it up works a treat, only thanks to everyone on here who posted how to get the settings correct on the telly.

Then this morning googled the V6 box and played with settings, and played with HDMI port settings on the telly. Now I get the football test loop and I'm told of the world cup UHD option. Didn't need the Roku stick after all.

But now that I have it, comparing the test loop between V6 box and Roku, it's my subjective opinion the V6 box is much better. Sharper and deeper colours. Motion is much better.

With the Roku playing last night's live game, pressing info on the telly remote told me HDR UHD 3840x2160 /60p HDMI UHD Color, all good.

With the V6 box playing the test loop pressing info on the telly remote doesn't do anything - but pressing the source button brings up the following: HDR UHD 3840x2160 /50p HDMI  ***NOTE*** the difference, 50p V6, 60p Roku.

With the Roku playing the test loop pressing the info button tells me it's same as the live broadcast, above. Colour washed out - did the trick with the remote selecting different HDMI ports, colour comes good.

I hope this helps people, if anyone wants me to check stuff out, no problem. Just remember I'm not into all this techy stuff!

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@Moily wrote:

That will probably be a much better set of trials than this World Cup as at least it'll be the BBC filming it, and hopefully the image on the screen will just be the tennis court action and not 3/4 audience and 1/4 court.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@edindundee wrote:

With the Roku playing last night's live game, pressing info on the telly remote told me HDR UHD 3840x2160 /60p HDMI UHD Color, all good.

On the Roku, go into the advanced system settings and change the setting to adjust framerate.  It well then use 50p for the iPlayer.

How do I configure the display refresh rate?

The auto-adjust display refresh rate setting can be enabled or disabled from the settings menu on your 4K capable Roku player. The setting will NOT change when your Roku player reboots or when the software updates.

1. Press the Home button home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  3. Select System and then select Advanced system settings.
  4. Select Advanced display settings.
  5. Select Auto-adjust display refresh rate and choose from the following:
    • Enabled – Your Roku player will automatically switch to the native format of the movie, video or TV show when playback begins.

• Note: Due to video mode changes by your TV, the picture may flash to black when starting and stopping playback. These video mode changes occur more often with channels like Netflix, that automatically play video content when browsing the channel interface.

• Disabled – Your Roku player will output ALL content at 60fps.
dunwell
Voyager
Options

As @tarbat points out, if you're using the Roku then it's critical you enable the automatic adjustment of frame rates. The reason the iPlayer UHD feed looks so good when working correctly is the streaming at 50Hz. 

Surprised that you thought the colours looked better on the V6.... so far we don't have any confirmed reports of that correctly displaying HLG / HDR on the KS.