Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 19-06-2018 05:34 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@crashcris wrote:

@ne_on wrote:

Anyone else having overheating issues?

In what respect? It does feel warm to the touch but otherwise working ok.

It's very hot to the touch and can't be turned off. As I only plan to use it for iPlayer HLG I've unplugged it until the next BBC game I watch. 

0 Likes
ne_on
Pioneer
Options

Mine is hot to touch. I then get a notification telling me the device is overheating. My oneconnect box is in a fairly open area ontop of a shelf in between my sky box and Xbox with the tv mounted a fair bit on top so I don’t know why. Though the one connect box is full of hdmi cables. I’ve ordered a free hdmi adapter which I hope helps but doesn’t disturb any quality. Might even get it changed by the retailer.

0 Likes
shimceltic
Pioneer
Options

What are the default settings on custom? I think i messed with mine ages ago.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@ne_on wrote:

Mine is hot to touch. I then get a notification telling me the device is overheating. My oneconnect box is in a fairly open area ontop of a shelf in between my sky box and Xbox with the tv mounted a fair bit on top so I don’t know why. Though the one connect box is full of hdmi cables. I’ve ordered a free hdmi adapter which I hope helps but doesn’t disturb any quality. Might even get it changed by the retailer.

I think you need to get it replaced. I've had mine on constantly for a few weeks and although is hot never had notification. I have mine plugged directly into my AVR but did have it for awhile in the OCB.  Since you've mentioned this I'm now unplugging the USB power in between uses. 

deaglun
Explorer
Options

I've been getting the overheating notification on and off through every game I've watched so far. But it has continued to work, so hopefully I can just ignore it. It gets very hot to the touch.

I now have the oneconnect box dangling out of the front of my TV cabinet, trying to give it more air. I'll get a HDMI extender to see if that helps.

Is it normal I can't turn it off?

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@deaglun wrote:

I've been getting the overheating notification on and off through every game I've watched so far. But it has continued to work, so hopefully I can just ignore it. It gets very hot to the touch.

I now have the oneconnect box dangling out of the front of my TV cabinet, trying to give it more air. I'll get a HDMI extender to see if that helps.

Is it normal I can't turn it off?

No you can't turn it off!  You can restart it but not off.  Its a bit like a Chromecast in that respect.  Unplug it until you need it or return it as I've never had an overheating notification.

ne_on
Pioneer
Options

The notification I’ve been talking about has only appeared when streaming one of the games. This is the only times I’ve actually used it.

0 Likes
Moily
Pathfinder
Options

Is it me, or is the PQ a bit worse in tonight's game?

Also, is the HDR sampling setting of 4:2:2 meant to be superior to 4:2:0?  Will switch back at half time see if it improves.

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

4:2:2 definitely looks better to me. No technical reason why that should be but it just does. 

PQ lacks some of the wow of yesterday but I put that down to the distance from the pitch of the main camera + atmospheric light. Close ups still look great in my opinion. 

Moily
Pathfinder
Options

@dunwell wrote:

4:2:2 definitely looks better to me. No technical reason why that should be but it just does. 

PQ lacks some of the wow of yesterday but I put that down to the distance from the pitch of the main camera + atmospheric light. Close ups still look great in my opinion. 

Yeah that matches up with my thoughts. Had to bump Colour back up to 60.