Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 18-06-2018 06:55 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
dunwell
Voyager
Options

I don’t want to keep banging on about it but this game (Belgium v Panama) is the best picture quality from a live football match I’ve ever seen. 

GoonerByron
Apprentice
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Anyone got a PS4 or Pro that have iPlayer  app installed on?

Seeing a tweet (just the one) that it's now UHD compatible.

Just tried it.. It does work in UHD but not HDR. The difference flicking between the two is night and day..!

Thought I could return my Roku for a second! :smileylol:

jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

This is strange, for the Belgium game everything was looking really good with gamma on -3 and colour on 50. 

Just put the England game on and everything looks really washed out, had to bump the colour up to 70 as suggested above and everything looks fine now.

just weird how different games are looking more washed out than others.

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@ne_on wrote:

Hi 

ordered my roku stick to collect today just in time for the England game. 49 ks7000. 

Any overall things I need to know? And how’s everyone finding it. Sorry haven’t been on here for a while.

I know this question has been answered many times already but what is the model number of the Roku stick and where is best place to buy from? Thanks

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

This is strange, for the Belgium game everything was looking really good with gamma on -3 and colour on 50. 

Just put the England game on and everything looks really washed out, had to bump the colour up to 70 as suggested above and everything looks fine now.

just weird how different games are looking more washed out than others.

The actual game is not on yet.  Everything outside the actual live broadcast from the pitch doesn't look that great to me.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@ne_on wrote:

Hi 

ordered my roku stick to collect today just in time for the England game. 49 ks7000. 

Any overall things I need to know? And how’s everyone finding it. Sorry haven’t been on here for a while.

I know this question has been answered many times already but what is the model number of the Roku stick and where is best place to buy from? Thanks

Its the Roku Streaming Stick +.  You can get it from Amazon or other places.  

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Meaning the colour balance isn't quite right. I think by tinkering with the Expert settings this can be mitigated - I'm going to have a good play with that during the 4pm game although Tarbat's suggestions of

- Dynamic Contrast OFF

- Gamma -3

- Backlight knocked down from 20 (to a number of your preference)

Are a good starting position.

Any other tips from anyone else?

I have gamma at -3 and left everything else alone.  Looks great to me.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@dunwell wrote:

@blenky

Re Your issue being resolved by going down to 4:2:0 - I had the same issue with the RSS+ a few weeks ago. I was watching MLB TV and it was driving me a Mad with irregular black screens and the occasional HDCP error. I did some reading and it suggested that some of the older HDMI cables find the bandwidth of 4:2:2 a struggle, even if sold as “4k compliant”

I don’t know if this is nonsense or not but by buying a new cable from Amazon (£8.99) and then reattaching the RSS+ to my AVR the problem completely went away. 

I couldnt reproduce the original issue in 4:2:0 mode so I think you will be ok anyway, just thought you might find interesting. 

As you said - I replaced the cable connected to the OCB and put the sampling back up to 4.2.2.  No issues - thanks!

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

The actual game is not on yet.  Everything outside the actual live broadcast from the pitch doesn't look that great to me.

The studio sections with the pundits looks spectacular, the earlier match seemed to take a good 20 mins to look sharp, lots of artifacts and the grass looked wrong. It's as if the roku wasn't firing on all cylinders but my wifi was delivering 48mbps. Don't know if the roku is just settling in.

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

@ne_on wrote:

Hi 

Its the Roku Streaming Stick +.  You can get it from Amazon or other places.  

Thanks for that? How much are people paying for these on Amazon?  Just checked on curry’s they are £59.99