Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 17-06-2018 09:00 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@stevej190 wrote:

It looks simply stunning, far better than 4k without HDR like Sky at the moment. I am generally very happy with my KS7000 panel so this is a great work around. The BBC have done good, fair play. 

Yes, this is what I've been banging on about for years!

It's not the resolution. It's the HDR that gives the jump in quality.

The resolution increase is only about 10% of it. Can't understand why people are paying Sky an extra £144/year for this tiny little 10%.

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@stevej190 wrote:

It looks simply stunning, far better than 4k without HDR like Sky at the moment. I am generally very happy with my KS7000 panel so this is a great work around. The BBC have done good, fair play. 

The resolution increase is only about 10% of it. Can't understand why people are paying Sky an extra £144/year for this tiny little 10%.

I am so glad that I swapped my ks9000 with C7, HLG is phenomenal on my 52 Mbps connection

0 Likes
stevej190
Pioneer
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@stevej190 wrote:

I’m a sky subscriber that’s pays the extra £144 per year! But then it gives me multiroom bundled in which works for me. I wouldn’t pay it for uhd alone but then I watch plenty of hdr content on other platforms so appreciate how important HDR is. 

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options
I hear you. If you wanted multiroom primarily, fair enough.

On the other hand forcing you to have multiroom if you don't want it, just to get a higher resolution output, is a shameful disgrace. Like the bad old days of charging £10/month just to allow the Sky+ to do what it's designed to do (record).
dunwell
Voyager
Options

@blenky

Re Your issue being resolved by going down to 4:2:0 - I had the same issue with the RSS+ a few weeks ago. I was watching MLB TV and it was driving me a Mad with irregular black screens and the occasional HDCP error. I did some reading and it suggested that some of the older HDMI cables find the bandwidth of 4:2:2 a struggle, even if sold as “4k compliant”

I don’t know if this is nonsense or not but by buying a new cable from Amazon (£8.99) and then reattaching the RSS+ to my AVR the problem completely went away. 

I couldnt reproduce the original issue in 4:2:0 mode so I think you will be ok anyway, just thought you might find interesting. 

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@dunwell wrote:

@blenky

Re Your issue being resolved by going down to 4:2:0 - I had the same issue with the RSS+ a few weeks ago. I was watching MLB TV and it was driving me a Mad with irregular black screens and the occasional HDCP error. I did some reading and it suggested that some of the older HDMI cables find the bandwidth of 4:2:2 a struggle, even if sold as “4k compliant”

I don’t know if this is nonsense or not but by buying a new cable from Amazon (£8.99) and then reattaching the RSS+ to my AVR the problem completely went away. 

I couldnt reproduce the original issue in 4:2:0 mode so I think you will be ok anyway, just thought you might find interesting. 

Its not a cable issue as it connects directly into the HDMI port in my AV.  It won't be an issue with the AVR as its a brand new Pioneer SC-LX701.  Also it happened when connected directly into the OCB.  Anyway its OK now and the picture looked exactly the same afterwards!  Cheers.

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

Sorry, my post was appallingly worded. The cable I changed was between the AVR and the Samsung Connect box. Like you, my Roku is plugged directly into HDMI2 on my AVR. 

Anyway, sounds like your issue may be different but happily also solved 🙂

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Sorry, my post was appallingly worded. The cable I changed was between the AVR and the Samsung Connect box. Like you, my Roku is plugged directly into HDMI2 on my AVR. 

Anyway, sounds like your issue may be different but happily also solved 🙂

Ah I see.  I will check that out.  Thanks

0 Likes
ne_on
Pioneer
Options

Hi 

ordered my roku stick to collect today just in time for the England game. 49 ks7000. 

Any overall things I need to know? And how’s everyone finding it. Sorry haven’t been on here for a while.

0 Likes
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

@ne_on wrote:

Hi 

ordered my roku stick to collect today just in time for the England game. 49 ks7000. 

Any overall things I need to know? And how’s everyone finding it. Sorry haven’t been on here for a while.

Its great! I have the same TV and its much better than normal BBC One HD even if the HDR may not be 100% perfect. Make sure to set the resolution output to 4k HDR 60Hz then under advanced settings enable adjust refresh rate and set your colour subsampling to 4:2:2. Enjoy.