Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 17-06-2018 09:31 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@crashcris wrote:

TBF the BBC did say this was probably how they'd use UHD cameras at sporting events. I'm sure most will be happy with the perceived increase in PQ, personally I prefer the sort of field of view I've been used to, after watching sports on TV for decades. I hope they don't do this to Rugby or Snooker.

The BBC aren't lensing it though, it's a FIFA pooled facility. But it's a perspective that does lend itself to large screen sizes.

0 Likes
mattlough
First Poster
Options
Been working so have not had chance to try yet but how long before programme starts do you need to switch onto the UHD iPlayer feed? As it’s a first come first watch thing, has anyone missed the start but still been able to watch?
0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

Not encountered any capacity issues. Even joined one game halfway through with no issues. 

Like i said last week, the chances of the games being oversubscribed at this stage of the tournament are minuscule. 

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Not encountered any capacity issues. Even joined one game halfway through with no issues. 

Like i said last week, the chances of the games being oversubscribed at this stage of the tournament are minuscule. 

England game on Monday will be the test.  Then again in reality how many people are a) aware of this b) have compatible devices and if a) and b) are true, c) are actually that bothered.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@blenky wrote:

England game on Monday will be the test.  Then again in reality how many people are a) aware of this b) have compatible devices and if a) and b) are true, c) are actually that bothered.

Indeed. I keep bumping into friends who have bought TVs recently, which support it but don't know. Never mind that, they haven't even heard of HDR, and they've never seen HDR on their own TV! Imagine buying a colour TV in the 1970s but thinking it was a black and white TV because the saturation was turned all the way down. But then even when someone tells you, instead of getting excited you shrug your shoulders with a "meh" because you don't know what "colour" is. This is basically the same 😞

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mattlough wrote:
Been working so have not had chance to try yet but how long before programme starts do you need to switch onto the UHD iPlayer feed? As it’s a first come first watch thing, has anyone missed the start but still been able to watch?

I missed the first half hour and still got it.  

0 Likes
Fliss1289
Student
Options

Morning

Arriving at the party late it seems. Was just googling how to access the iPlayer football, saw my 55ks7000 wasn't listed and found you guys. Gutted to say the least. 

So just wanted to confirm, as there are alot of pages here, if I buy a Roku 4k plus stick, I'll be able to access the BBC 4k football on my KS7000? 

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

Short answer, yes. 

0 Likes
deaglun
Explorer
Options

I've been enjoying all the BBC games in UHD on my ks7000 since buying the Roku. I'm not sure the HDR is perfect, but the UHD is pretty great. Very happy.

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

Yes I think that’s a good summary. 

0 Likes