Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 14-06-2018 01:00 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
deaglun
Explorer
Options

I've just ordered a Roku streaming stick+. I REALLY want to watch the world cup in 4k.

I'll never buy another Samsung product again though. Thanks to everyone on this thread for keeping this issue alive, and for suggesting possible alternatives. It'll be disappointing to perhaps not get proper HLG, and even more disappointing if HDR is broken by a future firmware update that reads the EDID properly - but at least I'll have 4k for the world cup.

If I were Samsung, I'd be trying really, really hard to help us out here, even if it requires a manual update/home visit for those who really care about this stuff.

Hopefully the BBC's cap on UHD streams won't be too much of a problem. It's hard to guage how many would be interested. It'll be interesting to see what latency is added. For England games I'll likely hear my neighbours cursing before I see England concede yet another goal.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Well, it's happening, the ***** is finally starting to hit the fan for lots of other TV owners who bought in 2016/2017. Sony, HiSense owners have had their sets removed from the compat list. 

I still maintain this is partly down to the BBC.

0 Likes
Gimpfont
Explorer
Options

This is the kind of communication other companys give their customers....

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00015300

My friends update for HLG via iPlayer was delayed this week and I asked how he knew. That link gives the predicted date for the update, everything it will include AND they even admit when there has been an issue and it has been delayed.... wow.

Currently we don't even know if any other update is in the works for our TVs, let alone a date or what they will contain.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Gimpfont wrote:

This is the kind of communication other companys give their customers....

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00015300

My friends update for HLG via iPlayer was delayed this week and I asked how he knew. That link gives the predicted date for the update, everything it will include AND they even admit when there has been an issue and it has been delayed.... wow.

Currently we don't even know if any other update is in the works for our TVs, let alone a date or what they will contain.

It does ask the question why sell a telly with so many faults in the first place. At least  Sony are admitting them,  unlike Samsung. 

Paul

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

It does ask the question why sell a telly with so many faults in the first place. At least  Sony are admitting them,  unlike Samsung. 

Paul

Nowadays, everyone buying anything with a computer chip in it is a beta-tester right up until that item is considered obsolete. In Samsung's case that's 1 year tops.

0 Likes
Stormed
Pioneer
Options

I replied to Samsung asking if the KS7000 would support HLG over HDMI whenever Sky update their Q software. I was told:

"We understand that you wanted to confirm if your TV model (UE49KS7000UXXU) supports HDR or HLG contents from external devices via HDMI cable such as Sky Q box. We'll be glad to assist you.

Upon checking, your TV supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) from 4K contents via external devices connected through HDMI cable. This includes broadcast services (ensure that latest software version is installed). It is just the 4K version of BBC iPlayer that is not currently supported on your TV."

sewarner
Pioneer
Options

@Stormed wrote:

I replied to Samsung asking if the KS7000 would support HLG over HDMI whenever Sky update their Q software. I was told:

"We understand that you wanted to confirm if your TV model (UE49KS7000UXXU) supports HDR or HLG contents from external devices via HDMI cable such as Sky Q box. We'll be glad to assist you.

Upon checking, your TV supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) from 4K contents via external devices connected through HDMI cable. This includes broadcast services (ensure that latest software version is installed). It is just the 4K version of BBC iPlayer that is not currently supported on your TV."

So, would I be correct in saying that all we will be missing is the BBC iPlayer HLG or is there something else?  I’m perusing a claim with JL for a refund and looking to go to the LG B7 but is it worth staying with the KS8000?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@sewarner wrote:

@Stormed wrote:

So, would I be correct in saying that all we will be missing is the BBC iPlayer HLG or is there something else?  I’m perusing a claim with JL for a refund and looking to go to the LG B7 but is it worth staying with the KS8000?

So unless Samsung have done a sneaky update to fix the edid issue it looks like they don't know the issues. Take it they have not seen the hlg issue's with sky Italia or the us issue's. Very odd. 

0 Likes
Gimpfont
Explorer
Options

Stormed - Thanks for that, a good response. Wonder if this means that our TVs are displaying HLG on the correct gamma curve.

Sewarner - Can you let me know how you are getting on with the JL refund? Did you have the smart things advertisement when you bought yours?

0 Likes
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

@sewarner wrote:

@Stormed wrote:

As of right now we are still waiting for the HDMI/EDID fix so HLG works correctly over HDMI.  If the reports about it being in the works are true and we do eventually get the fix, then yes the only thing we will be missing then is Iplayer 4K/HLG, however once HDMI HLG is working correctly there are external sollutions for 4K iplayer such as the Roku SS+, Virgin V6 box etc...

0 Likes