Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 12-06-2018 05:58 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:
q2
@gfsracing wrote:

Maybe HD fury is not the answer 

Correct. HDFury is not the answer.  Nor is the Roku Stick+ or the Virgin Media V6.  In fact anything that feeds HLG to the HDMI inputs won't work.

I finally got some time today to check the gamma curve being used by the KS8000 when receiving an HLG source.  Despite what the Italian Sky Q users have reported, I don't think the KS8000 is applying the correct gamma curve.

I compared identical inputs on both my 2018 MU6400 TV, and the KS8000 TV.  It's obvious that the KS8000 is not using an HLG gamma curve with the rec.709 colour space. I can’t comment on how it handles HLG with a rec.2020 colour space.

1.jpg

There might not be an issue with HLG BT2020, based on what a previous poster stated.

It seems like all of us are having different experiences with HLG over HDMI based on the source. 

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@UHDHDR wrote: 
There might not be an issue with HLG BT2020, based on what a previous poster stated.

I must have missed that previous poster - has someone tested the HLG gamma curve with rec.2020?  Just watching HLG content such as the football is not really a reliable test.

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Not testing like for like, the MU is a mid-range set with a completely different SOC and Tizen version. 

And no point testing with the Football loop when it's using BBC's proprietary implementation of HLG.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Not testing like for like, the MU is a mid-range set with a completely different SOC and Tizen version. 

And no point testing with the Football loop when it's using BBC's proprietary implementation of HLG.

So may I ask does the Roku work with hlg over hdmi. Am a bit confused now.

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

It definitely works, we just don’t know if it works optimally. 

My personal view - as stated the day I tried the Roku SS+ - is that the football loop doesn’t look particularly brilliant and the colours seem a touch “washed out”. I’ve never seen any other football in HLG so nothing to compare it to plus the match which was filmed was pretty awful weather for this kind of thing, with bright wintry sunshine covering large parts of the pitch. 

I suspect we wont know until Friday how this is really going to look on the KS. 

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Hi Dunwell, other than the HLG aspect of the image, can you please answer me if the sharpness of the image is particularly better? Can you make out the players' faces clearer than a 1080p HD image? What size screen are you viewing on? I ask as I have a JS set so the HLG aspect is a non-starter for me but greater clarity would be great.

Many thanks.

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

Sure thing - although the disclaimer is that this is subjective and will be dependent on non technical factors such as my eyesight, the ambient light of the room and whether the TV has been properly configured or not. I have a 49” KS8000 which I sit quite close to. 

My personal view of the football test loop:

- Sharper than 1080p but not as sharp as Sky Sports UHD over satellite 

- Too bright / “overexposed” colour balance

- Good depth of detail on faces and background details

The other consideration is that this is the BBC who I’m sure are world leaders at this kind of thing but don’t seem to deliver great pictures to the living room. The same football match in HD on Sky watched later that day in HD on BBC One can look completely different and much worse, for a reason I haven’t yet established. When BBC HD launched it was a wonder to behold, since they dropped the bitrates it looks pretty average. 

I just don’t trust them with picture quality and I’m sure the same is true here; the same

test loop in UHD on Sky would surely be better than this (speaking as someone who watched a couple of Premier League games a week in UHD). As for the HLG colour effect, its quite underwhelming when compared (admittedly unfairly!!) to HDR Blu-Ray discs which make the KS look like the greatest consumer grade TV panel ever manufactured. 

For your individual circumstances I suspect you would get the most gain at 55” and upwards. Which is the reason I bought a 49” television, it was a size at which I thought HD would still look decent enough whilst still delivering some marginal improvements in 4k too. 

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@dunwell wrote:

My personal view - as stated the day I tried the Roku SS+ - is that the football loop doesn’t look particularly brilliant and the colours seem a touch “washed out”. I’ve never seen any other football in HLG so nothing to compare it to plus the match which was filmed was pretty awful weather for this kind of thing, with bright wintry sunshine covering large parts of the pitch. 

I suspect we wont know until Friday how this is really going to look on the KS. 

Interesting - the football loop is not washed out on my KS8000.  Uts pretty colourful.  OK its no UHD Bluray but a huge step up from SDR HD.

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Sure thing - although the disclaimer is that this is subjective and will be dependent on non technical factors such as my eyesight, the ambient light of the room and whether the TV has been properly configured or not. I have a 49” KS8000 which I sit quite close to. 

My personal view of the football test loop:

- Sharper than 1080p but not as sharp as Sky Sports UHD over satellite 

- Too bright / “overexposed” colour balance

- Good depth of detail on faces and background details

The other consideration is that this is the BBC who I’m sure are world leaders at this kind of thing but don’t seem to deliver great pictures to the living room. The same football match in HD on Sky watched later that day in HD on BBC One can look completely different and much worse, for a reason I haven’t yet established. When BBC HD launched it was a wonder to behold, since they dropped the bitrates it looks pretty average. 

I just don’t trust them with picture quality and I’m sure the same is true here; the same

test loop in UHD on Sky would surely be better than this (speaking as someone who watched a couple of Premier League games a week in UHD). As for the HLG colour effect, its quite underwhelming when compared (admittedly unfairly!!) to HDR Blu-Ray discs which make the KS look like the greatest consumer grade TV panel ever manufactured. 

For your individual circumstances I suspect you would get the most gain at 55” and upwards. Which is the reason I bought a 49” television, it was a size at which I thought HD would still look decent enough whilst still delivering some marginal improvements in 4k too. 

I agree with this assessment although on my 65" KS9500 in comparison with Sky Sports I would say the test loop is sharper and the colours not as washed out as mentioned above but probably a truer reflection of the reality than Sky UHD.   Flickering through menus,  is a pain though.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Er, you do know that the BBC was one of the two creators of the HLG standard?

The BBC's implementation IS the standard. :smiling-face: :smiling-face: