Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 11-06-2018 01:31 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@rozel wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@rozel wrote:

And I haven't seen a better 2018 set either IMHO

They are IPLAYER hlg compatible and you do not need to buy a Samsung.  In .fact anyone who buy's a samsung are mad.  There customer service is awful 

Blimey mate,  you are not on the pulse are you?   Yes they might be but that doesn't make it a better display does it?  The only way I'd consider getting rid of my KS9500 is when Sky start transmitting  in HDR and either Samsung doesn't fix the EDID Bug or the HD Fury can't fix it

I had a 65ks9500  and yes it was brilliant,  but when I found out we were sh**  on by sansung with iplayer, with its inability to record scheduled programs,  and the d tizen software which could not be updated 

The new 2018 TVs are far better and to say they are not begs the questions why you say that? ? ???  I am not saying the samsungs are better but the Samsung are not the only player! When you look at the forums it does seem they are the ones who get a lot of criticism. 

Pa

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

I rest my case.

0 Likes
Jonfogg
First Poster
Options
Well that is a purchase i will now regret haha!
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Jonfogg wrote:
Well that is a purchase i will now regret haha!

Some here will say that the Samsung is the best you can buy!  What *****. 

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:

As long as Amazon deliver tomorrow, I’ll test the Roku Stick+ then. My HDFury displays what HDR Infoframe it is receiving, so I should be able to see what the Roku outputs with various EDID settings and both my 2018 Samsung and my KS8000.

So, I've tested the Roku Stick+ with my TVs and HDFury Integral.

Firstly, the BBC iPlayer HLG test loop:

1. Samsung MU6400 - plays the loop in HLG, and reports it as HLG.
  2. Samsung KS8000 - plays the loop in HLG, show HDR in the info banner.
  3. HDFury Integral - reports that the feed is HDR, but doesn't specifically identify it as HLG. Shows that the HDR Infoframe is "03:00:34:21:aa:9b:96:19:fc:08:48:8a:08:39:13:3d:42:40:e8:03:88:13:00:00:00:00"

1.jpg

Neither the YouTube app or the Roku media player would play either HLG or PQ on either TV or via. the HDFury.  Looks like these apps need updating to enable HLG and PQ playback.

One thing to note. By default, the Roku plays everything at 60Hz, so you need to change a setting in the Advanced Settings to enable native frame rates.

So, inconclusive I'm afraid.  It all depends on whether the BBC will broadcast the HLG World Cup in the same format as the current test loop.

rozel
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:

So, inconclusive I'm afraid.  It all depends on whether the BBC will broadcast the HLG World Cup in the same format as the current test loop.

And because they draw an analigy with the BBC Blue Planet transmissions, me thinks they won't, cos we couldn't see those 😞 .  But then what the he** is the point of the Test Loop?  I've emailed the BBC's R&D team, but not hopeful of a positive response here.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

Thanks @tarbat.

So just to clarify, case (2) is iPlayer app running in your Roku Stick+ , with its HDMI output going into one of the HDMI inputs on your KS8000 (via the HDFury) - with the HDFury just monitoring the data, ie no changes made at all to the EDID on the TV?

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

I've got to say I'm very unimpressed with the Roku Stick+. Even the Amazon Prime app doesn't play in HDR 😞

Anyone know whether Roku have a good reputation for updating apps?

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

Thanks @tarbat.

So just to clarify, case (2) is iPlayer app running in your Roku Stick+ , with its HDMI output going into one of the HDMI inputs on your KS8000 (via the HDFury) - with the HDFury just monitoring the data, ie no changes made at all to the EDID on the TV?

No. Case 2 was a direct connection from the Roku Stick+ into HDMI2 on the KS8000 TV.  Also tested connected to HDMI3 on my Yamaha YSP-2700 sound bar.  In both cases the HLG football loop played okay.

One thing I would say comparing the Roku iPlayer app and the iPlayer app on my MU6400 TV. When playing the HLG loop and then accessing the iPlayer menus, the picture flickers a lot and is very washed out.  On the MU6400, doing the same has no flickering and a good view of the iPlayer menus.

rozel
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:

I've got to say I'm very unimpressed with the Roku Stick+. Even the Amazon Prime app doesn't play in HDR 😞

Anyone know whether Roku have a good reputation for updating apps?

No - sorry.  I bought this as I was hopeful for watching the World Cup transmissions in HLG

Edit: and I get the flickering when in Menus

0 Likes