Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 10-06-2018 08:30 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@dunwell wrote:

No you’re just moving the problem. You would still need a Fury between the amp and the TV to bypass EDID. 

OK so what is the purpose of an amp supporting Dolby Vision and HLG.  My current amp supports nether but will pass HLG through to the TV.  I did have the Roku+ connected into one of my AVR's HDMI ports and it passed the HLG iPlayer stream to the TV.  Confused!

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@rozel wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

Or get a refund for miss selling and get a 2018 samsung. 

Wish you would stop harping on - get a grip and start recognising,  when fed with the right signal - like a UHD HDR Bluray feed - the KS is unsurpassed,  including the OLED LG's IMHO.   This thread is finished with this now.   It has taken a different direction

You you are trying to say 2016 TVs are better than 2018 TVs? Very odd. 

Universally acknowledged the 2017 sets are worse than the 2016 onesones at least.

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

OK  so what is the purpose of an amp supporting Dolby Vision and HLG.  My current amp supports nether but will pass HLG through to the TV.  I did have the Roku+ connected into one of my AVR's HDMI ports and it passed the HLG iPlayer stream to the TV.  Confused!

You're confusing two different things.  An amp can pass through HLG, but that doesn't mean it's also modifying the EDID from the TV to indicate that the TV supports HLG. If the mediaplayer  ignores the EDID and sends HLG regardless, then it will pass through the amp. But if the media player checks the EDID before sending HLG, then it won't even send HLG.

An amp that "supports Dolby Vision and HLG" typically means that it can understand the HDR EDID data and can also pass through the HDR infoframe and HDR metadata.

rozel
Voyager
Options

And I haven't seen a better 2018 set either IMHO

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@rozel wrote:

They are IPLAYER hlg compatible and you do not need to buy a Samsung.  In .fact anyone who buy's a samsung are mad.  There customer service is awful 

Jonfogg
First Poster
Options

Hi, how will this issue tranalate into Sky HDR HLG. 

0 Likes
Jonfogg
First Poster
Options

Sorry...hit the button too soon! I have a JS8500. Will the HDFury enable my set to recieve HLG when Sky HDR is implemented?

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@rozel wrote:

They are IPLAYER hlg compatible and you do not need to buy a Samsung.  In .fact anyone who buy's a samsung are mad.  There customer service is awful 

Blimey mate,  you are not on the pulse are you?   Yes they might be but that doesn't make it a better display does it?  The only way I'd consider getting rid of my KS9500 is when Sky start transmitting  in HDR and either Samsung doesn't fix the EDID Bug or the HD Fury can't fix it

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@Jonfogg wrote:

Sorry...hit the button too soon! I have a JS8500. Will the HDFury enable my set to recieve HLG when Sky HDR is implemented?

How about reading this thread? Go back several comments to the previous page and find my last one and read it, it'll answer your question.

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@Jonfogg wrote: 

No