Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 10-06-2018 01:14 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
chopples123
Voyager
Options

it means either:-

1. roku doest support HLG in youtube and is doing its own thing

or more worryingly

2. The roku doesnt support HLG at all  and is doing its own thing

@tarbat should be able to confirm either way once his roku is in hand

I hadnt considered the roku might just be forcing hdr10 (which the ks supports) but having seen this exact thing happening with my new apple tv then its entirely plausable

cheers

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@rozel wrote:

So why cannot I get a higher bit rate using my Roku? and prove it will receive HLG as @tarbat has requested?  Sorry everyone, I don't want to clog the thread with how to use a Roku etc but would like to know why I cannot get a decent throughput using the Roku.  Thoughts?

In YouTube, the resolution and bitrate is independant of the encoding. It doesn't reserve HLG for "only those who get the top bitrate and resolution".

Once YouTube has detected that your TV can handle HDR (either HDR10 or HLG, depending on the clip), that's what it will stream to you regardless, and the quality will go up and down depending on your bandwidth.

EDIT: I've now caught up in the interim posts. Odd that the stats for nerds is vague.  Is there no color line at all? If it doesn't support HLG I'd expect that to say bt709, with it having selected the SDR stream.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@rozel wrote:

Right then, thanks again @tarbat, much appreciated.  To say I'm confused is an understatement lol!  I have managed to get a higher throughput on my Roku + by googling and realising the wifi antenna is in the power lead doh!  So moving the power cable around enables me to see at least 37 and so far up to 41 Mbps on the Stats for Nerds readout.  Right, the first clip the TravelXP (I think it was called) I am totally confused, I can play it on my Roku +, no problem.  I acheive a good bit rate and get the correct resolution, no problem.  I check the Picture Settings in my TV and woohoo the backlight is up to 20, no problem.

But..................................

1.  Pressing Info on my TV states UHD 3840x2160 / 50p HDMI UHD Color - but no mention of HLG

2.  The Stats for Nerds does not show anything regarding the Colour - this row is absent

So what does all this mean?

Ok I have a KS TV so we know that it will play HLG in YouTube via the TV app. 

When I play the video via the Roku+ YouTube app I get full 4K (3840x2160@25) but no HLG.   Connection speed maxes out at 45 Mbps.  There is no info on colour but it's not HLG.

The TV app on the other hand reports in stats for nerds it's an HLG video and HDR kicks in on the TV. 

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

The TV app on the other hand reports in stats for nerds it's an HLG video and HDR kicks in on the TV. 

Can you say how the stats for Nerds confirms this exactly please?  What is the stats for nerds showing and what does pressing Info on TV remote reveal?

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

The Roku+ does support HLG via the iplayer app as I've watched the current football demo and HDR engages on my TV. However the Roku+ YouTube app does not support HLG only HDR10. 

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

The Roku+ does support HLG via the iplayer app as I've watched the current football demo and HDR engages on my TV. However the Roku+ YouTube app does not support HLG only HDR10. 

HLG vs HDR10 anyone?  lolol

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@rozel wrote:

@blenky wrote:

Can you say how the stats for Nerds confirms this exactly please?  What is the stats for nerds showing and what does pressing Info on TV remote reveal?

On my KS TV internal app if I play that YouTube HLG video I get the line

color arib-std-b67 (HLG) / bt2020

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

Hi mate 

Not saying your are incorrect but a few of the recent posts suggest that the Roku is processing the hlg YouTube video as sdr and then outputting it as hdr, therefore the tv engages hdr mode. Do you not think the same think might be happening with the BBC iPlayer app?

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

On my KS TV internal app if I play that YouTube HLG video I get the line

color arib-std-b67 (HLG) / bt2020

Right, this is what I get too - just checked.  but pressing Info on TV remote doesn't bring anything up when in YouTube.  I find the Info button is a pile of pants, always have done.  Surely there should be some way of revealing exactly what's passing through to the display, but whatever.

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

it means either:-

1. roku doest support HLG in youtube and is doing its own thing

or more worryingly

2. The roku doesnt support HLG at all  and is doing its own thing

@tarbat should be able to confirm either way once his roku is in hand

How will he do this exactly?  Will the magic HD Fury be able to diagnose?

0 Likes