Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 10-06-2018 11:49 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@tarbat 

Here's another genuine HLG youtube video (and very nice it is to look at too!)

https://youtu.be/KE_-OUmEPUA

No the Roku+ does not play this in HLG HDR.  But my KS TV does. 

Hi mate does HDR engage on the TV with that HLG clip? The reason I ask this is I have recently picked up an apple TV 4 and it was on an old OS version, it would basically convert any content, system wide to HDR10 and push it to the TV, this has been addressed now but I do wonder if the Roku is doing the same thing and the BBC test clip is actually SDR and then being converted.

Has anyone watched the BBC clip via a none KS set which can identify the gamma which is actually being received such as the 2017 Samsung sets?

cheers

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@tarbat 

Has anyone tried using the Roku Stick+ to play an HLG video connected to a TV that does allow HLG on the HDMI input?

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@rozel wrote: 
So why cannot I get a higher bit rate using my Roku? and prove it will receive HLG as @tarbat has requested?  Sorry everyone, I don't want to clog the thread with how to use a Roku etc but would like to know why I cannot get a decent throughput using the Roku.  Thoughts?

Have you tried setting the resolution manually by turning off the auto mode in YouTube?  When playing a video, press ENTER, then MORE OPTIONS, then on QUALITY select 2160p 4K instead of Auto.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

Has anyone watched the BBC clip via a none KS set which can identify the gamma which is actually being received such as the 2017 Samsung sets?

Yes. On my 2018 Samsung UE40MU6400 it displays HLG as the gamma:

P1020288.JPG

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@tarbat 

Has anyone tried using the Roku Stick+ to play an HLG video connected to a TV that does allow HLG on the HDMI input?

Reports on AVforums that it works with both Sony and Panasonic sets but i believe these models have controls where you can set the gamma.  this post caught my eye https://www.avforums.com/threads/world-cup-2018-bbc-to-show-tournament-in-ultra-hd-virtual-reality.2... which seemed to suggest something is off with the output

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

Yes. On my 2018 Samsung UE40MU6400 it displays HLG as the gamma:

P1020288.JPG

Sorry mate confused, have you got the roku??

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:

its because of this I am confused this seemed to indicate you dont have a roku

cheers

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@chopples123 wrote: 

Not yet, arriving tomorrow. I was using the iPlayer app on the 2018 TV, I didn’t realise you were asking specifically about the Roku. Once I get the Roku Stick+, I’ll test on the 2018 Samsung, my KS8000, and my HDFury Integral.

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@chopples123 wrote: 

Not yet, arriving tomorrow. I was using the iPlayer app on the 2018 TV, I didn’t realise you were asking specifically about the Roku. Once I get the Roku Stick+, I’ll test on the 2018 Samsung, my KS8000, and my HDFury Integral.

cheers mate, 

yes your sammy and fury will be able to confirm for sure if there is anything odd going on with the roku output

cheers

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Right then, thanks again @tarbat, much appreciated.  To say I'm confused is an understatement lol!  I have managed to get a higher throughput on my Roku + by googling and realising the wifi antenna is in the power lead doh!  So moving the power cable around enables me to see at least 37 and so far up to 41 Mbps on the Stats for Nerds readout.  Right, the first clip the TravelXP (I think it was called) I am totally confused, I can play it on my Roku +, no problem.  I acheive a good bit rate and get the correct resolution, no problem.  I check the Picture Settings in my TV and woohoo the backlight is up to 20, no problem.

But..................................

1.  Pressing Info on my TV states UHD 3840x2160 / 50p HDMI UHD Color - but no mention of HLG

2.  The Stats for Nerds does not show anything regarding the Colour - this row is absent

So what does all this mean?

0 Likes