Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 10-06-2018 09:47 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
dunwell
Voyager
Options

@blenky we’ll see....

I’ve still got an inkling it may work. Just because it’s not a supported devices it doesn’t necessarily rule it out. 

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@blenky wrote:

Today I again got the UHD World Cup splash screen on my Roku+ iPlayer app.  Very disconcerting as its not a supported device.  It's like they are putting the boot in.  Look what you could have had!

Look at what you could have won!Look at what you could have won!

teviom
Journeyman
Options

This may have already been discussed... But... I'd reccomend people contacting the retailer they purchased their KS* from about a return. 

I purchased a 55" KS7000 18 months ago in UK from Richersounds. After the lack of SmartThings and now the HLG update being half baked I contacted Richersounds, told them about the issues and sent them a couple of links so they could investigate it (Forbes article on iPlayer HLG issue and forum thread on SmartThings). Within a couple of hours they offered me a full return and credit for what I originally paid. Didn't have to push hard or quote any selling regulations / miss selling, they immediately saw it as an issue that needed to be sorted out. I got an LG 55" OLED B7 and paid the difference.

I loved my KS7000, was such great TV for HDR and also a fantastic price at the time. Unfortunately Samsung's support has been horrendous, be a long long time before I ever consider purchasing one of their TVs again.

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@teviom wrote:

This may have already been discussed... But... I'd reccomend people contacting the retailer they purchased their KS* from about a return.

I purchased a 55" KS7000 18 months ago in UK from Richersounds. After the lack of SmartThings and now the HLG update being half baked I contacted Richersounds, told them about the issues and after I sent them a couple of links within a couple of hours they offered me a full return and credit for what I originally paid. Didn't have to push hard or quote any selling regulations / miss selling, they immediately saw it as an issue that needed to be sorted out. I got an LG 55" OLED B7 and paid the difference.

I loved my KS7000, was such great TV for HDR and also a fantastic price at the time. Unfortunately Samsung's support has been horrendous, be a long long time before I ever consider purchasing one of their TVs again.

yes it has mate https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-Owners-refund/td-p/358805

cheers

tarbat
Voyager
Options

Has anyone with the Roku Stick+ established whether it can play YouTube HLG videos?  AFAIK, there's very few, one being the TravelXP clip.  Note that you can check if a video in YouTube is really HLG by viewing the "Stats for Nerds" when playing, and it should have "arib-std-b67 (HLG) / bt2020" under Color:

P1020280.JPG

Beware, because most so-called HLG videos on YouTube are actually Perceptual Quantizer:

P1020283.JPG

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@tarbat 

Here's another genuine HLG youtube video (and very nice it is to look at too!)

https://youtu.be/KE_-OUmEPUA

chopples123
Voyager
Options

was just going to say search for the panny GH5 there are tons uploaded by users 

edit.. stupid macbook changing words

cheers

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

was just going to say search for the panny GH5 there are tons uploaded by users 

I'm guessing then that Martin Wallgren has a GH5, judging from his title! :smiling-face:

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@tarbat 

Here's another genuine HLG youtube video (and very nice it is to look at too!)

https://youtu.be/KE_-OUmEPUA

No the Roku+ does not play this in HLG HDR.  But my KS TV does. 

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:

Has anyone with the Roku Stick+ established whether it can play YouTube HLG videos?  AFAIK, there's very few, one being the TravelXP clip.  Note that you can check if a video in YouTube is really HLG by viewing the "Stats for Nerds" when playing, and it should have "arib-std-b67 (HLG) / bt2020" under Color:

A great post, thank you.  I have struggled to get the "stats for nerds display" up on the screen but finally got it.  So I've had a play around and I have found that using YouTube on my KS, I can get HLG fine.  Apart from the colour reading out as you say, you need to be getting a "Current Res" of 3840x2160@50, the same as the "Optimal Res".  If not the Colour row doesn't show.  My KS is hard wired to my router and am getting over 42000Kbps Connection Speed, as recorded by the stats.   Anything posted on YouTube, using the app on my KS, plays nicely thank you and confirmed with the Backlight Setting up to 20.

My Wireless "Speed Tests" recording my true wireless speed average around 54Mbps.

However using the Roku SS+ I am not getting a 3840x2160 display, the most I'm managing is a resolution of 2560x1440@60 which equates to between say 19000Kbps and 28000Kbps as recorded by the stats - the range I seem to be getting at any one time.  My Roku is hidden behind my Home Theatre cabinet, low down near the floor.  I thought ordering the free extender from Roku would give me a decent length of cable to bring it to the front of my cabinet, but sadly it's only an inch long!  wt*? and although it is powered using the Roku power cable, I just cannot seem to get a decent bit rate throughput.  Using "Speed Test" again though, exactly where my Roku is situated,  measures again around 54Mbps, which is the same wherever I measure in the room.

So why cannot I get a higher bit rate using my Roku? and prove it will receive HLG as @tarbat has requested?  Sorry everyone, I don't want to clog the thread with how to use a Roku etc but would like to know why I cannot get a decent throughput using the Roku.  Thoughts?