Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 09-06-2018 12:38 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@edindundee wrote:

I'm not clued up the the technical aspects, so excuse me if this is a dumb question.....

My ks plays the LG Jazz HLG demo from a usb stick.

Is there a method of taking an HLG quality feed from an HDMI connector (V6 box, say) and plugging it into a box of tricks that will output via a usb interface? That would work?

you do not need to conver to USB unless there is a specific need, if you want to just play HLG from V6 to Smsung KS sreies then buy HD Fury around £200 and put it between V6 and KS HDMI input

BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

For all those that are confused...

The EDID is the Extended display identification data (EDID) which is a data structure provided by a digital display to describe its capabilities to a video source. What this means is that the Display (in this case your Samsung TV) is sending its capability - whether its HD or 4k, whether its REC709 or DCI-P3, whether its SDR or HDR and what HDR formats its capable of displaying for example

HLG IS HDR and just 1 'format' of HDR, HDR10 is HDR too but a different format of HDR, Dolby Vision is HDR but a different format of HDR, HDR10+ is HDR but a different format of HDR. ALL of these are HDR - just different formats of delivering High Dynamic Range. Just because some TV's may distinguish which format, its all still HDR. Its like MP3 or WAV for Audio, MP4, MPEG etc for Video. Its all still 'audio/video' but there are 'different' formats. HDR10, DV, HLG and HDR10+ are ALL HDR but different 'formats' and not ALL HDR is HDR10 (or HLG).

Essentially, the KS doesn't have the 'HLG' format ticked in the EDID as one of the HDR formats it supports. It is like a tick box to say what formats it supports - HDR10 - ticked, HLG - not ticked. Devices like SkyQ and Direct TV are receiving that EDID from the TV and thinks its connected to a Display that doesn't support the HLG format and therefore won't send the HLG coded signal to the TV. What a HD Fury does, is basically 'ticks' that box as the EDID passes through to the device. The source then thinks its connected to a HLG enabled display and so sends HLG content. That is all that the HDFury is doing. If the TV can't play HLG content via HDMI, then it wouldn't switch to its HDR mode.

What Samsung have done is to update the TV's to support HLG but haven't updated the EDID to let connected devices know that it can now play HLG content. Whether its an oversight or not, I don't know - to me its only half the job (trying to keep it polite). Its pretty much pointless updating a TV to support a format (like HLG) and NOT updating the EDID to tell connected devices its now HLG enabled!!

As for the iPlayer App, that is a very different matter. The OS cannot support the latest software the 4k HLG iPlayer is using. Its not that the TV can't play 4k or HLG, it just won't run the 4k HLG iPlayer App. That doesn't mean that an external device with an OS that can run the 4k HLG iPlayer App won't give 4k or HLG (at least if Samsung update the EDID) because the external device is the one running the App and just sending the image. What devices and which version of the iPlayer App it as will be determined by the BBC and the capability of the device its on.

It is incredibly disappointing to hear different statements from Samsung with regards to a possible EDID fix. On the one hand we hear reports from the US and Italy that a 'Fix' is in the works yet in the UK we seem to be getting a statement that this is as good as it gets. If Samsung are doing that to get us to upgrade to their latest TV's, then they are really stupid! The most likely outcome is that this will end up pushing their customers to the competition because of the lack of communication, mixed messages and poor support. Its not even mid-term yet for the average life of a TV - what's the point in offering a 10yr guarantee against screen burn if the TV is essentially 'dead' after 18months - Why offer 5yr warranty on parts and labour? For 'mid-term' support, you have to support the TV for at least 2.5-3yrs properly!!

Like I said, all this is doing is pushing people to the competition, even if that means 'sacrificing' on Brightness or Quantum Dot displays for the better support and customer service. Not only that, these people then push others away from Samsung too citing poor support as a primary reason. It seems that they are also not aware that whilst we are an 'island', we are NOT cut-off from the rest of the world and what Samsung say to US or Italian customers. It should be a 'uniform' approach from a global company.

Anyway, I thought I would try and clarify what EDID is, what the HD Fury does (which also proves that a 'fix' to the TV's own EDID should rectify the issues) and that HLG IS HDR - just 1 of the formats - like HDR10, HDR10+ or Dolby Vision.

dunwell
Voyager
Options

This is such a comprehensive, authoritative and helpfully worded post. It should be pinned to the top of every page as a guide for newcomers and a refresher for all of us. 

I haven’t replied to Samsung’s email of yesterday. Ideally, I would just send them this and ask to forward on to the engineering team!

Ajy1
Apprentice
Options

Open letter to Samsung

What is the value in producing a masterpiece if it cannot be enjoyed for what it‘s intended for?

Samsung KS series was an excellent product. It was one of the most brightest 4K HDR TV of its generation and it still is today. Your designers and engineers did a fantastic job. 

However, what is the value of producing a TV that can get as bright as the sun if it remains under a lid? You could as well market the product like every other dull product. The KS series was meant to be an HDR masterpiece and yet it cannot fully function as one. BBC iPlayer as side, the EDID issue is the most ridiculous and stupid that I have seen. If I was an engineer that worked on the KS series, I will not sit idle or be satisfied until I see my design, the work of my hands, achieve its full potential. If I was a product manager, I will be encouraging my team to ensure our products achieve their full potentials. 

If fixing the EDID on HDMI 2.0a violates the integrity of the spec, I will let my customers be the decider of that. You could deliver the feature under an unsupported setting. Everyone at Samsung should want to see that KS series achieves it’s full glory. It will remain a testament of your value as a company, technical superiority, design foresight and customer care.

Samsung, you owe yourself and your customers to be an example of what a masterful company should be. Your values, believes and loyalty to your products and designs (without age discrimination) should be second to none.

You may not see or know it, this could well be a tipping point for good or bad in Samsung TV product history.

Thanks.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@Ajy1 wrote:

Open letter to Samsung

What is the value in producing a masterpiece if it cannot be enjoyed for what it‘s intended for?

Samsung KS series was an excellent product. It was one of the most brightest 4K HDR TV of its generation and it still is today. Your designers and engineers did a fantastic job. 

However, what is the value of producing a TV that can get as bright as the sun if it remains under a lid? You could as well market the product like every other dull product. The KS series was meant to be an HDR masterpiece and yet it cannot fully function as one. BBC iPlayer as side, the EDID issue is the most ridiculous and stupid that I have seen. If I was an engineer that worked on the KS series, I will not sit idle or be satisfied until I see my design, the work of my hands, achieve its full potential. If I was a product manager, I will be encouraging my team to ensure our products achieve their full potentials. 

If fixing the EDID on HDMI 2.0a violates the integrity of the spec, I will let my customers be the decider of that. You could deliver the feature under an unsupported setting. Everyone at Samsung should want to see that KS series achieves it’s full glory. It will remain a testament of your value as a company, technical superiority, design foresight and customer care.

Samsung, you owe yourself and your customers to be an example of what a masterful company should be. Your values, believes and loyalty to your products and designs (without age discrimination) should be second to none.

You may not see or know it, this could well be a tipping point for good or bad in Samsung TV product history.

Thanks.

Nicely put. Who have you sent this letter to?

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

This is such a comprehensive, authoritative and helpfully worded post. It should be pinned to the top of every page as a guide for newcomers and a refresher for all of us. 

I haven’t replied to Samsung’s email of yesterday. Ideally, I would just send them this and ask to forward on to the engineering team!

Yes agree. Great summary. Can you share the email address  of the Samsung contact you are communicating with. I thInk we all should write to him/ her  directly. This make more impact.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options
I'm a bit confused why HDFury, HDMI, SkyQ, etc are being discussed on this thread when that's all covered on the thread dedicated to the Sky Q HLG problem. See http://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-OWNERS-ONLY-Sky-to-introduce-HDR-content-on-Sky...
0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Please see title of this thread :smiling-face:

Not meant in a disparaging way though, as you brought the HD Fury to the table here in the first place.  I will definately get one of these Fury's if for some reason Samsung doesn't sort the EDID Bug and it's the only way to watch Sky HDR (HLG)

0 Likes
edindundee
Pioneer
Options

To BAMozzy and hdmi - thank you for your clarifications, very much appreciated.

To tarbat - all of this IS relevant to the bbc iplayer HLG on Samsung JS/KS tvs. How specific do you really want topics to be? Maybe a topic dedicated to only KS7500 tvs and Virgin V6 boxes with internet speeds of between 175Mb/s and 176Mb/s served by the central part of Edinburgh on a Wednesday evening between 21:00 and 21:01?

A more helpful post would have been to explain that there is more information on exactly how to get the best out of Virgin V6 boxes and a JS/KS tv with a link to such a topic.

I've read every single post on this thread, every one, and contributed a couple of times, only NOW do I feel that I can see a possible work-around for the stupidity of buying a Samsung in the first place. That looks like the HD Fury.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

I'm still going to put off the purchase until a few others have posted that the HD Fury works on a KS with BBC iPlayed HLG feeds!

If there is a dedicated topic for the HD Fury with Virgin V6 box and KS Samsungs please post a link.

Thanks.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

Today I again got the UHD World Cup splash screen on my Roku+ iPlayer app.  Very disconcerting as its not a supported device.  It's like they are putting the boot in.  Look what you could have had!

0 Likes