Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 09-06-2018 10:39 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
dunwell
Voyager
Options

Great post Dr Tickly, that’s a very helpful explanation of the forthcoming changes. 

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

Please correct me if I misunderstood . Does it mean on SKY q without EDID fix we will receive 4K SDR?

if that’s the case why can’t BBC I player do this. Even if it is not HDR 4K , 4K SDR better than nothing. 

chopples123
Voyager
Options

Hi fellas I have seen a few posts mentioning hdr10

live broadcasts in 4k hdr are typical filmed using Sony cameras which use a different proprietary form of hdr, called s-log I think, as TastyBurger666 states for hdr10  they will have a production truck with something like this https://www.proav.co.uk/sony-hdrc-4000-hdr-production-converter-unit which can convert s log to hdr10. There willl either be another truck converting to hlg or the bbc will receiving the s-log and doing the conversion themselves (which is possible given the limited formats available in the trial) 

edit... this is all specific to the World Cup

That sky document mentions hlg10 I didn’t even know that was a thing tbh but I would be surprised if they had hdr10 capable production trucks on site every week for every epl game, the costs couldn’t be justified

edit... Sky and BBC will be using cameras which are capable of outputting both HLG (2100) and SDR (709) which is another reason HDR10 is likely to be unavailable. details of the capture method is in the royal wedding article https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-05-ultra-high-definition-dynamic-range-royal-wedding-uhd-hdr

cheers

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

Please correct me if I misunderstood . Does it mean on SKY q without EDID fix we will receive 4K SDR?

if that’s the case why can’t BBC I player do this. Even if it is not HDR 4K , 4K SDR better than nothing. 

Without rehashing the thread too much, the reason iplayer isnt working on KS sets is down to the delivery of the content and not the content itself. But yes HLG is backwards compatible so you would receive SDR 4k from the same stream that others will receive HLG

cheers

rozel
Voyager
Options

Mr T

I am a little confused now.  So when Sky start broadcasting in HDR/HLG, will my KS set receive HDR/HLG or are we still going to need a HD Fury, if Samsung don't release an EDID fix?

0 Likes
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

@rozel wrote:

Mr T

I am a little confused now.  So when Sky start broadcasting in HDR/HLG, will my KS set receive HDR/HLG or are we still going to need a HD Fury, if Samsung don't release an EDID fix?

Yes if Samsung don't fix the EDID you will only receive SDR unless you use an HD fury to spoof the EDID.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@rozel wrote:

Mr T

Read to me our ks will need the edid fix which looks unlikely or the fury. 

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Thanks.  It is what I thought - I just got confused with his post, not sure what that was all abour, sorry.

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

Without rehashing the thread too much, the reason iplayer isnt working on KS sets is down to the delivery of the content and not the content itself. But yes HLG is backwards compatible so you would receive SDR 4k from the same stream that others will receive HLG

cheers

@chopples123  thanks for clarifying this.  But wwill BBC I player provide a way for us to watch 4K SDR ? 

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@Jay108 no sorry mate as the DRM is incompatible. If you have a virgin V6 box then you will have access to the trial in 4k SDR

cheers

0 Likes