Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 06-06-2018 04:59 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

It's a shame. Samsung's final update added HDR game mode a brand new feature that was never promised but after a lot of noise by gamers eventually got added. I would argue that this is a fix not a feature and there has been far more noise but no resolution. Did you think the focus on the actual iPlayer app diluted the effort to get Samsung to recognise something which is a fault and easily rectified

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
Also, this was on KS refunds and I think it is quite clear where we stand on the misrepresentation,

Sorry for the delay in updating everyone with my progress with Richer Sounds but I ended up taking my complaint to Retail ADR and I was not allowed to discuss it on public forums but I have just had the recommendation through from them and it is good news. They have agreed that it is a clear act of misrepresentation and that I am entitled to a FULL REFUND. So, if you have bought it from Richer Sounds do not accept anything less. Also if you are exchanging it for another TV you could probably get something that cost a little bit more than what your Samsung cost as it would work out cheaper for them to do that than give you a full cash refund. The good thing about Retail ADR is that Richer Sounds are bound by their decision but unfortunately I believe that is not the case with John Lewis or Currys. However, you can still take it to Retail ADR and if they do disregard their decision you can then use it as evidence in the small claims court and you would have an extremely strong case. It has taken two months for it to go through Retail ADR but I'm glad I did, as we all now know that the least they should be offering is a full refund.

Paul
Chris325
Explorer
Options

Well done Paul. Do you have a case reference number with ADR that I can then recontact JL with. I had come to the end of the line with JL but this gives me fresh hope.  

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Chris325 wrote:

Well done Paul. Do you have a case reference number with ADR that I can then recontact JL with. I had come to the end of the line with JL but this gives me fresh hope.  

I think it gives everyone hope and I think with that decision I would now find it very hard to believe any retailer would go to court. The member from KS Refunds was  @Ramos049 and he can explain more and he posted that on the KS Refunds thread. He is waiting for his refund and then will post the full decision. I think though to tell J L that a decision has gone against Richer Sounds through the ADR would be quite useful as more evidence of miss selling and they will probably already know about this. This now opens the door to everyone, the smart connect and faulty tvs with the scheduled recording issues. I was happy to enjoy my new telly but after the way Samsung has behaved, with leading us all on a merry path, and their utter contempt for their customers who bought high-end TV's, which should have been updated for at least a few years, and some of the tactics that Samsung have used with their misinformation. Very poor state of affairs.

Hope to help

Paul

dunwell
Voyager
Options

More correspondence with Samsung:

------

Dear Mr *****

We believe that there is some confusion within the Samsung Community and Forums that the issue can be resolved with a change to the EDID which is not correct.

Hybrid Log Gamma is an encoding system developed by the BBC & NHK to support the broadcast of UHD HDR content which is backwards compatible with legacy non HDR devices.

The decoding of the Hybrid Log Gamma information when transmitted over HDMI is different than that of broadcast and is not controlled by the EDID information of the TV. 

Regards

Sean *****

Senior Customer Services Executive| UK & Eire

---------

My response:

Dear Sean

Thank you once again for coming back to me so quickly, it is very much appreciated.

I really do not understand how what you say can be true. At this very moment I am watching an HLG broadcast on my KS television through the BBC iPlayer App on the Roku Streaming Stick+. This is connected via HDMI and we know that, for whatever reason, the RS+ does not perform the usual EDID check with the television. Because of this anomaly, the HLG content displays perfectly and proves definitively that the television can display HLG content over HDMI.

Far be it from me to tell Samsung what their televisions can or cannot display, however, I do think you need to revise your stance based on this evidence.

You will also see from the Samsung Community Forum thread which you reference that users with an HD-Fury device have managed to ‘spoof’ an alternative EDID into the delivery chain between a SkyQ box and the television itself. When this is done, the television accepts that an HLG picture is present, once again demonstrating that if the EDID ‘bug’ was rectified, there would be no issue with displaying HLG over an HDMI connection from external devices.

Please could you commit to asking your engineers to taking another look at this, if only for your own benefit of retailers being inundated with refund requests.

Best wishes

rozel
Voyager
Options

@dunwell your correspondence is probing much deeper and much more quickly than anyone has so far achieved, much better than our so called moderator has,  for which I would like to publicly thank you.   I am optimistic that full clarity on the so called "EDID Bug" will now be forthcoming.

dunwell
Voyager
Options

@rozelI'm afraid I do not share your optimism but appreciate your thanks nonetheless. I just want a good result for all of us.

rozel
Voyager
Options

My optimism isn't directed at getting a positive EDID Bug fix,  rather than a response to clarify Samsung's EDID stance on it.

jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

@dunwell wrote:

More correspondence with Samsung:

------

Dear Mr *****

We believe that there is some confusion within the Samsung Community and Forums that the issue can be resolved with a change to the EDID which is not correct.

Hybrid Log Gamma is an encoding system developed by the BBC & NHK to support the broadcast of UHD HDR content which is backwards compatible with legacy non HDR devices.

The decoding of the Hybrid Log Gamma information when transmitted over HDMI is different than that of broadcast and is not controlled by the EDID information of the TV. 

Regards

Sean *****

Senior Customer Services Executive| UK & Eire

---------

My response:

Dear Sean

Thank you once again for coming back to me so quickly, it is very much appreciated.

I really do not understand how what you say can be true. At this very moment I am watching an HLG broadcast on my KS television through the BBC iPlayer App on the Roku Streaming Stick+. This is connected via HDMI and we know that, for whatever reason, the RS+ does not perform the usual EDID check with the television. Because of this anomaly, the HLG content displays perfectly and proves definitively that the television can display HLG content over HDMI.

Far be it from me to tell Samsung what their televisions can or cannot display, however, I do think you need to revise your stance based on this evidence.

You will also see from the Samsung Community Forum thread which you reference that users with an HD-Fury device have managed to ‘spoof’ an alternative EDID into the delivery chain between a SkyQ box and the television itself. When this is done, the television accepts that an HLG picture is present, once again demonstrating that if the EDID ‘bug’ was rectified, there would be no issue with displaying HLG over an HDMI connection from external devices.

Please could you commit to asking your engineers to taking another look at this, if only for your own benefit of retailers being inundated with refund requests.

Best wishes

Great response! We 100% know HLG works over HDMI without any issues as long as the EDID is ignored/spoofed. Hell isn't there even some Samsung Blu-ray players that ignore the EDID and send HLG regardless?

rozel
Voyager
Options

I've just written to a marvellous supplier of the HD Fury Integral to see if they can add anything to this EDID Bug and to see if they can confirm its use going forward.   I will report anything back on here.