Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-06-2018 08:29 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@rozel wrote:

Thanks.   And what's the exact score with Virgin,  have they started HDR transmissions yet?

I believe they have. But the edid is an issue. 

0 Likes
stevej190
Pioneer
Options

There is nothing to test with yet, no connected devices send HLG that ask for EDID, that is until the World Cup starts as I’m sure the virgin box will ask. 

0 Likes
gfsracing
Navigator
Options

I assume the boffins in Korea or wherever are working on the fix and AntS has got the previous generic answer from a lower tier operator

as I bought my tv in July 16 I from crampton and Moore I can’t see how I can get a refund as hlg was not even known then

I won’t be buying a new tv worse case is I will get a hd fury integral

0 Likes
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

All that’s  been proved is that the integral can be used to spoof the EDID so that the Sky Q box sends HDR, this was done by tarbat in the Sky HDR thread:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-OWNERS-ONLY-Sky-to-introduce-HDR-content-on-Sk...

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@stevej190 wrote:

There is nothing to test with yet, no connected devices send HLG that ask for EDID, that is until the World Cup starts as I’m sure the virgin box will ask. 

Yes it does ask.  I have a Virgin box.  It plays UHD HDR fine from Netflix (and 24 Hz) but the iPlayer UHD demo is SDR.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

All that’s  been proved is that the integral can be used to spoof the EDID so that the Sky Q box sends HDR, this was done by tarbat in the Sky HDR thread:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-OWNERS-ONLY-Sky-to-introduce-HDR-content-on-Sk...

How could he do that when sky have not started broadcasting hdr yet. 

0 Likes
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

With the integral he said he injected an HLG infoframe into the signal so that the TV ‘thinks’ it’s receiving an HLG signal, obviously when sky actually launch HDR all the integral will need to do is alter the EDID.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@blenky wrote:

@stevej190 wrote:

Yes it does ask.  I have a Virgin box.  It plays UHD HDR fine from Netflix (and 24 Hz) but the iPlayer UHD demo is SDR.

Which makes sense as @AntS said that hdr over HDMI works which is does. But he also said Hlg over HDMI will not work so even if the iplayer on virgin is updated it still will not work on the ks as @AntS told us. 

It actually makes me smile when there some some say that hdr and Hlg were the same thing. How wrong they were. 

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

With the integral he said he injected an HLG infoframe into the signal so that the TV ‘thinks’ it’s receiving an HLG signal, obviously when sky actually launch HDR all the integral will need to do is alter the EDID.

Does it not say a lot about Samsung in that they will not do that and save there customers extra expense and inconvenience if figuring out how to use the fury. Think refund is the way to go if possible. 

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@stevej190 wrote:

Which makes sense as @AntS said that hdr over HDMI works which is does. But he also said Hlg over HDMI will not work so even if the iplayer on virgin is updated it still will not work on the ks as @AntS told us. 

It actually makes me smile when there some some say that hdr and Hlg were the same thing. How wrong they were. 

They are not really wrong as HLG is an HDR standard same as HDR10 and Dolby Vision 😆  But I know what you mean!

0 Likes