Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-06-2018 07:42 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
dunwell
Voyager
Options

Thanks, could really do with some help from @tarbat - need a steer on what is required

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Thanks, could really do with some help from @tarbat - need a steer on what is required

I will be honest mate i have no idea myself but looking at the description it does seem to do whats needed but if it requires plugging into a laptop or whatnot everytime you want to program it to watch HLG and then again for SDR then it would be a right ballache i reckon.

cheers

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

Here is the sentence: 

"They do support UHD HDR via HDMI, just not when encoded using HLG.""

1. That's the present tense, not a statement of their plans. 

2. It's factually wrong in that we know the KS TVs DO support HLG when the connected device doesn't check the EDID!

But that is the issue in that state that the ks will not be able to receive Hlg over HDMI. 

Yes and I'm saying it's not news, and it's not a statement that "they will not fix the EDID", so please stop saying that they said they wouldn't fix the EDID. We don't need to introduce any more misunderstandings where there are none.

@paul1111 wrote:

I know we have been told that the HD fury may get round that 

Eh? We know for certain that it does (present tense), but it's a very expensive work-around that I would not go for.

but does it not leave a sour taste that they will not update the edid? 

IF, IF, IF they do not update the EDID which we do not yet know and they did not say that they would not, yes of course. The whole fiasco does.

Let's just take a breath. We have a statement that we could have had 6 months ago, it's taken 6 months, but it doesn't affect the world-wide EDID bug and it doesn't even refer to it.

jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

@dunwell wrote:

With regard to the use of an HD Fury

I believe this model supports 4k resolution both in and out and will allow you to fix a custom EDID. It costs £83.70 from Amazon UK. I haven't checked other retailers and I can't provide a personal assurance that this will work; I've never used one of these devices before and I'm not sure I would know where to start!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDFury-Splitter-Resolution-compliant-10-2Gbps-Black/dp/B016ZY2G6A/ref=sr_1_...

My only concern would be that it states that it is only compliant with HDMI 1.4 and HDCP 1.3, Sky Q uses HDMI 2.0 and requires HDCP2.2 so i don’t think this would work.

pauleylad
Apprentice
Options
I am brand new to the thread after doing a Google search!
I was elated when I saw the BBC statement re the world cup and thought my new-ish ks9000 will look great showing it.
I have a virgin v6 and thought I was good to go, until I started researching.
How on earth do you explain away to your partner that the premium expensive TV I bought only 13 months ago is actually out of date!!
I know the TV still looks great with 4k devices but I never thought it would come to being out of date with some technologies so soon.
I have gone through the thread as quick as I can but wonder if some members could confirm a few things.
1 Roku? Can this work or is it a case of wait until 1st uhd hdr broadcast?
2 HD Fury? Googled it and comes up with many things. Which one is it please and will it work?
3 I bought my TV from cramtpon and moore with no idea about smarthings hub. Are people getting replacements even when you knew nothing about it being promised previously?
Thanks everyone.
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

With regard to the use of an HD Fury

I believe this model supports 4k resolution both in and out and will allow you to fix a custom EDID. It costs £83.70 from Amazon UK. I haven't checked other retailers and I can't provide a personal assurance that this will work; I've never used one of these devices before and I'm not sure I would know where to start!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDFury-Splitter-Resolution-compliant-10-2Gbps-Black/dp/B016ZY2G6A/ref=sr_1_...

My only concern would be that it states that it is only compliant with HDMI 1.4 and HDCP 1.3, Sky Q uses HDMI 2.0 and requires HDCP2.2 so i don’t think this would work.

good spot mate

0 Likes
gfsracing
Navigator
Options

I don’t have a jd fury but I don’t think you need to turn it off using the app when you are not using hlg

when not using hlg the sky box etc will just send the SDR version it’s just when there is hlg that it checks the edid in order to know if to use the bt220 signal or just the jsdr version

glad mr ticke agrees with me the statement just confirms the iplayer situation not the edid issue 

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Yes good spot. I think @mrtickle is right, time to take a breath. Won’t rush into buying any equipment, may as well see how the Roku does next week to start off with. 

The quesrion of the HD Fury will come back to the fore if there is no EDID fix when SkyQ launch their HDR service. 

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@pauleylad wrote:

1 Roku? Can this work or is it a case of wait until 1st uhd hdr broadcast?
2 HD Fury? Googled it and comes up with many things. Which one is it please and will it work?
3 I bought my TV from cramtpon and moore with no idea about smarthings hub. Are people getting replacements even when you 

Hi mate and welcome

1  noone can be 100% certain until a ball is kicked but indications are it should work

2  HD Fury integral, it has been confirmed working for SKY Q ITALIA HLG, we use the same hardware in the UK

3 You did know about the smart things extender mate, and thats one of the main reasons you bought the TV :wink

cheers

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@gfsracing wrote:

I don’t have a jd fury but I don’t think you need to turn it off using the app when you are not using hlg

when not using hlg the sky box etc will just send the SDR version it’s just when there is hlg that it checks the edid in order to know if to use the bt220 signal or just the jsdr version

glad mr ticke agrees with me the statement just confirms the iplayer situation not the edid issue 

cheers mate, it may have been because @tarbat was testing it using a non compliant HLG device an forcing the signal

cheers

0 Likes