Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-06-2018 06:54 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

It did say they would not be updating the edid by saying you can not receive Hlg over HDMI on the ks. 

So much for all those older posters (not heard much from them) saying trust Samsung. 

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options
It is now official the JS and ks will not be updated. Thanks Samsung! @AntS can you tell Samsung that its disgraceful how they are treating their customers. Do they expect anyone here to buy any other Samsung product?
0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

This is seriously unbelievable!  For Samsung not to give any reference to an EDID  fix is scandalous and proves @AntS is completely inept at communicating with Samsung.   I complained that he ought to be removed from his obligations as a Moderator but never heard anything.   Sorry but how can he allow this statement without such a reference.   There will be thousands of people looking to receive Sky HDR,  who have KS sets and who probably yet have no clue on what's about to happen.   God knows the feedback on here when this does happen.   I will buy an HD Fury simply because I cannot be bothered to go through the rigmoroll  to enter into litigation with Currys,  because I really like the quality of HDR on my KS and because £200 seems a reasonable amount to pay to extend the life of my set.   Sorry if this last bit appears that I'm rolling over but frankly Samsung are a joke and @AntS is a pawn.   This thread shows just how pathetic we all are in Samsung's eyes and for God's sake this is a Samsung forum NOT A SAMSUNG USER Forum!!!! 

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

So that seem to be it. 

I just can't afford to buy a new 4K TV even though I must have mine longer than most.  Its now exactly 2 years since I got this set.  It was a fantastic TV then and still is. 

I got a Roku+ which may work but I'm not prepared at this stage to fork out £200 on a HD Fury.  Maybe if the BBC really get behind UHD it may be worth the price over buying a new TV.

It makes this an even more bitter pill to swallow as such a simple fix would future proof BBC iPlayer UHD transmissions which are now starting to ramp up.  Virgin Media (and soon Sky) have added support (almost) so its a really sad day.

I'm done with this TBH.  I'll enjoy what I have and in a few years buy something new. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options
If you get a refund there are now better sets out there. Just a letter to you retailer may get that. By buying a fury you have accepted Samsung disregard to their customers which you are one. You have spent time here, spend a bit more and hit Samsung where it hurts.
As for criticizing the mods I was banned for a short while for actually saying how poor the information from the mods was.
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@blenky wrote:

So that seem to be it. 

I just can't afford to buy a new 4K TV even though I must have mine longer than most.  Its now exactly 2 years since I got this set.  It was a fantastic TV then and still is. 

I got a Roku+ which may work but I'm not prepared at this stage to fork out £200 on a HD Fury.  Maybe if the BBC really get behind UHD it may be worth the price over buying a new TV.

It makes this an even more bitter pill to swallow as such a simple fix would future proof BBC iPlayer UHD transmissions which are now starting to ramp up.  Virgin Media (and soon Sky) have added support (almost) so its a really sad day.

I'm done with this TBH.  I'll enjoy what I have and in a few years buy something new. 

Why not try the ks refund thread you never know.? 

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:
If you get a refund there are now better sets out there. Just a letter to you retailer may get that. By buying a fury you have accepted Samsung disregard to their customers which you are one. You have spent time here, spend a bit more and hit Samsung where it hurts.
As for criticizing the mods I was banned for a short while for actually saying how poor the information from the mods was.

I just don't have the appetite for pursuing a refund as other have - good luck to them.  My TV's PQ has always been great and until that changes I won't be looking elsewhere.  HLG transmissions are in their infancy and by the time they are more common I may well be in the market for a new TV

Frazzler
Explorer
Options

Just contacted Richer Sounds customer services by phone and asked about my Smart Hub dongle, they told me Samsung aren’t honouring it and offered me an exchange.  Going to exchange + depreciation to an LG B7. OK,  it’s not as bright but it has 

I’ll never buy Samsung again, hit ‘em where it hurts if they think they can make promises they can’t deliver to customers and treat them like this, they are sadly mistaken.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@stevej190 wrote:

God it’s like banging your head against a wall. This statement just outlines the current position which I think most of us are perfectly aware. We only needed clarity on the EDID issue to bring matters to a close. 

Are we to assume by not mentioning the EDID there is no fix? 

I'm going to assume that is the statement that we could have had in December.

It's just telling us what we already know (HLG doesn't currently work over HDMI, for devices that check the EDID). It also omitted something else we already know (HLG DOES WORK OVER HDMI for devices that don't check the EDID).

We know the EDID fix is relatively simple, I am now looking to litigious American owners to do their bit. They don't like this sort of thing, and there are a LOT more DirectTV viewers in this situation than us Brits and Italians.

gfsracing
Navigator
Options

The statement does not state they are not going to fix the EDID

all it does is state the current state of play as answered on other forums

0 Likes