Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 04-06-2018 07:22 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
edindundee
Pioneer
Options
Oooh, dunno - its says UHD HLG in big white letters, never been able to see this option to play the trial before.
How do I determine it's HLG apart from the letters? Pretty stunning anyways!
0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

The TV should get noticeably brighter as if it’s been bumped up to max. 

Pressing the i button on the tv remote may also tell you what format is being received by the TV. 

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@edindundee wrote:

Just powered up the V6 box, 200mb/s internet, KS7000 curved telly bought in November 2016, I get the iPlayer Planet Earth trial in iPlayer Beta and the telly displays HLG!!!!!!!!!

You sure.  i have a KS8000 and watched the clip.  Its UHD but SDR.  the info button on the TV confirms that and the TV does not change to HDR settings.

How do you connect your V6 - via an AVR or directly into the One Connect box?

dunwell
Voyager
Options

PS - sorry for the upside down picture! Some light relief....

chopples123
Voyager
Options

bringing up the home bar would also show a little hdr logo in the pic settings but it sounds like its SDR 

cheers

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

bringing up the home bar would also show a little hdr logo in the pic settings but it sounds like its SDR 

cheers

It is trust me - but still looks very good.  If the World Cup matches do appear on the V6 in UHD they will still look very good.

edindundee
Pioneer
Options

connected via the one connect thing, when it's playing and I press the samsung telly remote source button it tells me uhd 3840 x 2160 50p

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwell wrote:

The TV should get noticeably brighter as if it’s been bumped up to max. 

Pressing the i button on the tv remote may also tell you what format is being received by the TV. 

The backlight should go to 20

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@edindundee wrote:

connected via the one connect thing, when it's playing and I press the samsung telly remote source button it tells me uhd 3840 x 2160 50p

Yup same is me.  Looks good though doesn't it! 

0 Likes
Jakobi
Explorer
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

@Jakobi wrote:

Has this been reported to watchdog/trading standards?

Considering these TV's were sold as 'Premium' Ultra HD, compared to other brands which weren't even advertised as premium; and these 'non premium' TV's having the ability to fully utilise HLG & BBC Iplayer in 4K?

Bearing in mind 'DVB-DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP) system' is part of 'European broadcaster streaming guidelines'?

Clearly other brands implemented this to make their TV's fit for purpose.

I feel like a stuck record here, had the same conversation on twitter with a broadcast professional who was unaware of the DASH issue...

The problem is with the underlying Tizen platform on our TV's not supporting the Wildvine or Clearkey DRM security API's used by the iPlayer app, we'll NEVER get 4k through the onboard 'Smart Hub' app. Our only hope is an offboard solution through the HDMI port (which Samsung have said does allow HLG assuming the EDID fault is corrected).

Samsung will never ever ever ever come out and admit this. Ever. Don't bother, it's a waste of your time. Punish them in the wallet at your next TV purchase.

Well, Samsung seem to have the know how as they managed to implement it on their 2017 & 2018 Tizen platform.

Don't they just need to update our Tizen OS? It should be a matter of when & not if, even if it was an opt in engineer sent out to do this.

0 Likes