Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 04-06-2018 06:01 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@PeterYates wrote:

Their response

Dear Mr Yates

We are contacting in response to your communication to our CEO's office concerning support for HLG content within the BBC I-Player App on your Samsung KS7000 model. We recognise your disappointment that this content is not supported, whilst we recognise your listing of other companies whose products do have this functionality Samsung took the decision not to follow this route and apologise if this has led to you not being able to enjoy the television to your full expectations.

Kind regards Sean *****

President & CEO Escalations

Samsung UK & Ireland

Pretty pathetic overall.

Absolutely shameful response. That's a big two fingers up to all Samsung customers the world over.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options
Careful the mods could ban you!!!!
paul1111
Hotshot
Options
I think we all need to post that post on to everywhere we can. Their Facebook page, Twitter, and avforums. We. Need to shame them, its a disgraceful war to treat customers.
Ste_A
Explorer
Options

@paul1111 wrote:
Careful the mods could ban you!!!!

I know. But to be banned from a samsung forum that samsung are not actively involved in wouldn't make any difference. I'd get more answers talking to my cat ha ha.

Here kitty kitty.... 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options
Another thing is why was that not told to us by the moderates? Looks like we have been left out to dry!
dunwell
Voyager
Options

Let's keep things in perspective. We've learned nothing new here, we absolutely knew that the iPlayer app on the TV could not be updated because of DVB-Dash.

The real prize is a fix for EDID and we are none the wiser as to what activity is (or isn't) ongoing behind the scenes.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Let's keep things in perspective. We've learned nothing new here, we absolutely knew that the iPlayer app on the TV could not be updated because of DVB-Dash.

The real prize is a fix for EDID and we are none the wiser as to what activity is (or isn't) ongoing behind the scenes.

@AntS   I know you are tired of reading this but,  I feel only you can help stop all this speculations.  You must know  whats going on behind scenes at Samsung.

Ste_A
Explorer
Options

Not mine but I like this quote of the day: "Mushrooms are kept in the dark because they grow better that way, the same cannot be said for online communities"

We never got an official samsung response regarding the iPlayer HLG/UHD issue here, so why is anyone expecting one for the EDID fix?

They NEVER respond and yes we don't know as to what activity is (or isn't) going on behind the scenes because of that.

They don't believe in transparency and we're all mushrooms. :manmad:

Jakobi
Explorer
Options

Has this been reported to watchdog/trading standards?

Considering these TV's were sold as 'Premium' Ultra HD, compared to other brands which weren't even advertised as premium; and these 'non premium' TV's having the ability to fully utilise HLG & BBC Iplayer in 4K?

Bearing in mind 'DVB-DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP) system' is part of 'European broadcaster streaming guidelines'?

Clearly other brands implemented this to make their TV's fit for purpose.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options
It has been reported to trading standards via citizens advice and I was told under the consumer regs you can only take the retailer to court not the manufacturer. Odd but that is the law. It means Samsung can say anything they want and then it is uptown the advertising standards, and all they would do is ask Samsung to stop advertising something it can not deliver. That's why it is so important to ask and have hard copies from the retailer and use your credit card.
0 Likes