Support

Open search

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

Highlighted
Hotshot

@PM06 wrote:

My Virgin Media V6 just updated to new software now allows me to play both uhd trial clips of Planet Earth 2 In iPlayer and the football stream in iPlayer beta the tv does not switch into hdr mode on either clips so not sure what I am actually receiving can only assume it is 4k hlg sdr


As far as I am aware if the tv does not go to hdr mode,  full back light and others changes,  then you are not receiving a hdr Hlg signal. 

Hotshot

@dunwell wrote:

Sounds like the EDID handshake is working in full force then. 

 

Hypothesis is that an HD Fury (or a Samsung Software Update) would resolve the Virgin situation.

 

Virgin situation is directly analogous to DirecTV situation in the US.

 

Also noteworthy; we now have two external HDMI devices that are BBC iPlayer HLG compatible.

 

I always thought that if the backlit does not switch to full you are not getting a hdr or Hlg feed. 


Helping Hand

@PM06 wrote:

My Virgin Media V6 just updated to new software now allows me to play both uhd trial clips of Planet Earth 2 In iPlayer and the football stream in iPlayer beta the tv does not switch into hdr mode on either clips so not sure what I am actually receiving can only assume it is 4k hlg sdr


What TV do you have. If it's a KS that confirms what we feared. The V6 box is not sending the HLG as it's unaware that the TV is capable. Our only hope is for the EDID fix which I doubt will ever happen. However we will still be able to watch in UHD SDR. 

Apprentice

I have a 49” KS8000

Explorer

Or the HD Fury Integral at £200!

Apprentice

When watching the football UHD loop on Beta with a Roku Plus my KS60 7000 backlight did not go to 20 as it does when watching HDR on Netflix via inbuilt app. 

Therefore I can confirm what has been said that the stream is not HDR but SDR.

Voyager

@sinjin wrote:

When watching the football UHD loop on Beta with a Roku Plus my KS60 7000 backlight did not go to 20 as it does when watching HDR on Netflix via inbuilt app. 

Therefore I can confirm what has been said that the stream is not HDR but SDR.


 

Hi mate have you enabled UHD colour on the HDMI port? it has been confirmed earlier by other users HLG does engage

 

edit... talking the Roku here not the V6 before things get more confused

 

cheers

Hotshot

@sinjin wrote:

When watching the football UHD loop on Beta with a Roku Plus my KS60 7000 backlight did not go to 20 as it does when watching HDR on Netflix via inbuilt app. 

Therefore I can confirm what has been said that the stream is not HDR but SDR.


Thats the roku order back on hold, because on my KS8000 the backlight always goes to 20 when it goes into HDR HLG mode.

Thanks

Apprentice
No I haven’t
How do I do that?
Sorry to sound dumb
Voyager

@sinjin wrote:
No I haven’t
How do I do that?
Sorry to sound dumb

attached a pic, turn it on for the port the roku is plugged in to

 

cheersScreen Shot 2018-06-04 at 13.58.40.png

Top Liked Authors