Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 03-06-2018 04:12 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
rozel
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:
Yes that is what is being reported by someone using sky Italia. They said the fury works for the ks. So yes could be a work around as long as the iplayer app on sky also sends the 4k Hlg signal. Not tested yet and no information from anyone. If it does work then you will may have to pay for the 4k sky package as well as buying a fury and not sure how much they are. I think best to see if the roku does work first. 

I am a total subscriber to Sky Q with 1 x mini box.  IMHO Sky are the best for a whole load of reasons in the UK and my wife says she'll divorce me if I ever cancel.  Just got a superb offer on shifting my BT Infinity 2 broadband to Sky Fibre Max along with my phone line and calls too!  So I'm into Sky now, Lock, Stock and Barrel lolol - sorry to upset you paul :smiling-face: :smiling-face:

paul1111
Hotshot
Options
That's great and could you please then tell us how you get on, and yes never upset the misses.
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

Some really good summaries of where we are with this thanks. 

I'm one of the KS owners that went for a Roku+.  I have contacted the BBC and Roku for information on why it's not on the list and if I hear anything of note I'll let you know.  At the moment I'm assuming I'll be watching the World Cup in 1080i like the vast majority of the population! 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options
I think it's great when you can have a proper discussion without fear of being shouted at and yes this has been I think a very useful discussion and the way it should be.
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@rozel wrote:

Forget 1. for the moment.  But if Sky delivers HLG and the JS/KS TV's don't display, then I was under the impression an EDID fix via the HD Fury would work.  So If I'm right on that point, then this state of affairs is exactly the same as the main iPlayer on my KS TV.  So I'm thinking then that a HD Fury will resolve?

Maybe some guru can say in simple terms whether my thinking (maybe a little hopeful) is correct or not correct please?

I'll be a minor guru for a second or two... NO, NO, NO!.... The JS and the KS sets are different.

What you say may very well apply to the KS sets as they have the ability to display HLG from an OTA broadcast as well as YouTube 4k HLG videos. The JS sets cannot display any HLG at all from any sources at all. If (and it's a big IF) the roku is included in the world cup trial it will show an UHD SDR on a JS set. On a KS set it will show UHD HLG (because for some reason the handshake has not been required previously, however there's no guarantee that in the future the ROKU won't mess with their firmware and will stop the KS sets from playing HLG until Samsung fix the EDID. At present, to view 4k UHD HLG from sky, one would need the EDID fix or the HDFury.  Nothing at present will get the JS sets to show HLG.

ne_on
Pioneer
Options

Has anyone thought about taking this whole matter to bbc watchdog. There’s enough of us and I’m sure if this was all highly publicised Samsung would start talking

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@ne_on wrote:

Has anyone thought about taking this whole matter to bbc watchdog. There’s enough of us and I’m sure if this was all highly publicised Samsung would start talking

Yes some I think have but without hundreds then we are on our own. Also their has been so much misinformation and mischief from some (Samsung) that I think it has put some people off from actually saying anything. I suppose this is Samsung site and I would expect nothing less,  and they probably think whilst we are here we are not causing any problems elsewhere. Sad thing is Samsung is such a big company we really don't have much chance,  apart from not buying their products in the future. Because of consumer law they as the manufacturer can make any claims without fear of prosecution,  as we have seen. 

dunwell
Voyager
Options

My fear is it would be too technically complex for their audience. They did a feature a few weeks ago on Smart TVs not being able to open updated apps and the bottom line advice was “tough cheese, buy a streaming stick, they’re only thirty quid”

I think I will cc them to my letter to Samsung UK / EMEA CEO though. 

gfsracing
Navigator
Options

My own personal opinion is as follows

The inbuilt BBC i player app will never be updated due to the dvb dash issue

i also believe samsung asre trying to solve the EDID issue. Various sources fro italy ans the USA stare samsung are working on it. The KS tv is clearly Hlg compatible so which they updated to

i think samsungs policy is to remaim silent on everything if they say they are working on a fix and it turns out thst it cannot be done then yhey would get ripped to peices. However if they stated this then at least people would at least know that samsung are trying to sort it

who to say that the roku wont have a update that makes it check the edid if this is supposed to be in the standard. 

I think sky will also have an hand in it they are much bigger in the uk than in italy etc

at the end of the day there is a solution with the hd fury if i told my wife i was spending another 2000 to buy a tv with hlg she would go mad so  if nothing happens i will buy the hd fury

hopefully the inbuilt sky iplayer app will have hlg but then the sky youtube app does not do 4k unlike the tv built in app

if they fix the edid issue then im sure other plug in devices such as streaming sticks and boxes would become available

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@gfsracing wrote:

My own personal opinion is as follows

The inbuilt BBC i player app will never be updated due to the dvb dash issue

i also believe samsung asre trying to solve the EDID issue. Various sources fro italy ans the USA stare samsung are working on it. The KS tv is clearly Hlg compatible so which they updated to

i think samsungs policy is to remaim silent on everything if they say they are working on a fix and it turns out thst it cannot be done then yhey would get ripped to peices. However if they stated this then at least people would at least know that samsung are trying to sort it

who to say that the roku wont have a update that makes it check the edid if this is supposed to be in the standard. 

I think sky will also have an hand in it they are much bigger in the uk than in italy etc

at the end of the day there is a solution with the hd fury if i told my wife i was spending another 2000 to buy a tv with hlg she would go mad so  if nothing happens i will buy the hd fury

hopefully the inbuilt sky iplayer app will have hlg but then the sky youtube app does not do 4k unlike the tv built in app

if they fix the edid issue then im sure other plug in devices such as streaming sticks and boxes would become availdrinks

Interesting what you say but what I can not understand is a company as big and tech leaders in this field must and I say must be able to know if they can fix this edid issue. It is now obvious that they will not update the fix for Hlg iplayer on ks TVs. Bit like smart connect,  promised but never happened. I think we are pawns in a marketing war and the only way for them to succeed is to try to get people to fall for the marketing and keep replacing their TVs. I also do think it's not just Samsung but it is the industry being very underhand. Infant its a brilliant marketing strategy I think we are falling for. 

I have had a few afternoon drinks,  so may be totally wrong!