Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 03-06-2018 03:47 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@rozel wrote:

Not sure really, just thought that whilst people on here are saying that all that's needed is for Samsung to release an EDID firmware update and that all would then be ok, that if they don't do that, the HD Fury can step in, in its place.

Yes it is all confusing but as far as I know the HD fury will trick the device into believing the ks is Hlg compatible. You still need a device with the iplayer app that will play the Hlg stream,  and I can not see any on that list. I may be wrong though as people some times point out! 

It was a while ago when I said you could not get Hlg via HDMI I was shouted at for giving misleading information and that was when the HD fury was mentioned. I never got an answer to which device could play the iplayer Hlg. So unless you know of any device that has the correct iplayer app then I do not think the fury will help. Again I could be wrong. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@

This has been a good discussion (with a bit if friendly confusion ) so I hope the moderater's  can see that and I hope any one who may join in from the past do not try to wreck it. 

Thanks. 

rozel
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@rozel wrote:

Not sure really, just thought that whilst people on here are saying that all that's needed is for Samsung to release an EDID firmware update and that all would then be ok, that if they don't do that, the HD Fury can step in, in its place.

Yes it is all confusing but as far as I know the HD fury will trick the device into believing the ks is Hlg compatible. You still need a device with the iplayer app that will play the Hlg stream,  and I can not see any on that list. I may be wrong though as people some times point out! 

It was a while ago when I said you could not get Hlg via HDMI I was shouted at for giving misleading information and that was when the HD fury was mentioned. I never got an answer to which device could play the iplayer Hlg. So unless you know of any device that has the correct iplayer app then I do not think the fury will help. Again I could be wrong. 

First, no worries @dunwell - as we all know, this is a highly confusing and complex situation.

@paul1111 - Ahh I see now what's being said.  But basically an HD Fury won't resolve the issue using the standard iPlayer on my KS , once the BBC start broadcasting?  I thought the issue with this and possibly with Sky HDR (whenever that commences), assuming Samsung don't release an EDID fix, could be sorted using an HD Fury?

dunwell
Voyager
Options

An HD Fury will fix the EDID issue but will only be helpful where an external device is trying to play an HLG stream. At the moment there aren’t many of those (eg Sky Q in Italy and the Roku here)

We know the Roku doesn’t need the EDID hack but we don’t know if the device can play the word cup streams. Starting to get an unhelpful number of permutations here!

Yes a good discussion all in the spirit of trying to help each other out. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@rozel wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@rozel wrote:

First, no worries @dunwell - as we all know, this is a highly confusing and complex situation.

@paul1111- Ahh I see now what's being said.  But basically an HD Fury won't resolve the issue using the standard iPlayer on my KS , once the BBC start broadcasting?  I thought the issue with this and possibly with Sky HDR (whenever that commences), assuming Samsung don't release an EDID fix, could be sorted using an HD Fury?

That is what those who are saying the HD fury will allow you to watch sky Hlg. Now if the sky iplayer works with Hlg then that could be a world around for those who want to pay sky a forture each month. I would much prefer Samsung fix the edid, and pigs might fly! 

I must point out that I do not know if the fury will work,  it is only from some posters who now seem to have gone quite. 

rozel
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@rozel wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@rozel wrote:

@paul1111- Ahh I see now what's being said.  But basically an HD Fury won't resolve the issue using the standard iPlayer on my KS , once the BBC start broadcasting?  I thought the issue with this and possibly with Sky HDR (whenever that commences), assuming Samsung don't release an EDID fix, could be sorted using an HD Fury?

That is what those who are saying the HD fury will allow you to watch sky Hlg. Now if the sky iplayer works with Hlg then that could be a world around for those who want to pay sky a forture each month. I would much prefer Samsung fix the edid, and pigs might fly! 

I must point out that I do not know if the fury will work,  it is only from some posters who now seem to have gone quite. 

That isn't how I'm reading this.  There seems to be 2 issues: -

1.  Devices that transmit HDR in HLG

2. Getting the main iPlayer to deliver pictures on a JS or KS TV.

Forget 1. for the moment.  But if Sky delivers HLG and the JS/KS TV's don't display, then I was under the impression an EDID fix via the HD Fury would work.  So If I'm right on that point, then this state of affairs is exactly the same as the main iPlayer on my KS TV.  So I'm thinking then that a HD Fury will resolve?

Maybe some guru can say in simple terms whether my thinking (maybe a little hopeful) is correct or not correct please?

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Hi, I'm not a guru but I will try my best. Tickler is probably the most eloquent explainer of this situation.

There are three issues here I think.

1 - the in built iPlayer app on the JS / KS televisions. The app does not work when it comes to playing the UHD content that has been tested over the last six months.

The reason the in built app doesn't work is not because of EDID, HDMI or anything like that. It doesn't work because the underlying operating system of the television does not support something called DVB-Dash. The experts don't believe this ever resolvable and therefore isn't likely to ever be able to show the UHD content.

2 - external devices such as streaming sticks, satellite decoders and blu-ray players have not been able to send HLG pictures to the main JS / KS television.

The reason that this doesn't work is because the information contained in the "handshake" between the device and the television is corrupted. This is the EDID issue that people have been speaking about.

The Roku stick is an anomaly to (2) because (for a reason none of us seem to know) it seems to be bypassing the handshake and sending HLG information to the television.

A very minor software update to the Samsung Television could fix the EDID issue which would then mean external devices could send HLG over HDMI, whether this is from an iPlayer app or a more traditional UHD broadcast (e.g. Sky Q)

3. external devices may not be able to watch the BBC iPlayer World Cup stream; this is based only on the fact the Roku+ does not appear on the BBC list.

As yet we don't know much about this and won't know until the tournament starts.

-----

I hope this helps but it's getting so complex it's hard to know whether (a) I'm 100% accurate or (b) it makes any sense!

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@

@

That isn't how I'm reading this.  There seems to be 2 issues: -

1.  Devices that transmit HDR in HLG

2. Getting the main iPlayer to deliver pictures on a JS or KS TV.

Forget 1. for the moment.  But if Sky delivers HLG and the JS/KS TV's don't display, then I was under the impression an EDID fix via the HD Fury would work.  So If I'm right on that point, then this state of affairs is exactly the same as the main iPlayer on my KS TV.  So I'm thinking then that a HD Fury will resolve?

Maybe some guru can say in simple terms whether my thinking (maybe a little hopeful) is correct or not correct please?

Yes that is what is being reported by someone using sky Italia. They said the fury works for the ks. So yes could be a work around as long as the iplayer app on sky also sends the 4k Hlg signal. Not tested yet and no information from anyone. If it does work then you will may have to pay for the 4k sky package as well as buying a fury and not sure how much they are. I think best to see if the roku does work first. 

rozel
Voyager
Options

Ok Nice one!  A brilliant summary on where we are, thank you.  So only external devices, tramsmitting HLG will be able to be viewed on a KS TV and only then if the EDID issue is fixed (Roku + excepted) ?

paul1111
Hotshot
Options
Makes perfect sense to me and thanks. Just to add there are some who say the new Samsung bluray player also bypasses the edid issue.