Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 03-06-2018 02:31 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
rozel
Voyager
Options
Why did you say it would work then, earlier?
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Why  do you mean?  I said it worked on my friends Hience tell. 

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@rozel wrote:

This seems strange because you previously said it worked.  Now you are saying it doesn't?

When acessing the "UHD Trial" I get the following message: -

Something went wrong loading this programme.  This is usually a temporary problem.  You can try this programme again or try a different programme.

I have tried 3 things to get it to work: -

1. Restarted the iPlayer programme

2. Turned off the Roku, unplugged it from the power cord and then unplugged it from the HDMI input on TV.  Then pressed the reset button on the Roku

3.  Pressed the Home button 5 times then the up arrow one time then the rewind button 2 times followed by the fast forward button 2 times.

2. and 3. definately reset the Roku + but I still get the same problem in the main Roku iPlayer. 

I can get the Test Loop in iPlayer Beta perfectly.

This tells me that the Roku isn't going to work with the forthcoming Worls Cup Games

With the Roku+ there is the West Brom highlights as the UHD test loop within the beta player.  There is nothing in the standard player.  At this point I'm resigned to the fact that although the Roku + worked with previous trials its not included in the World Cup.  Exactly why that is I do not know as I can't get an answer from the BBC.

Has anyone asked on the Roku forums?  i've just posted a question.  Not sure who actually monitors.

rozel
Voyager
Options

There seems total confusion here.  First, sorry @paul1111 my above message was meant for @dunwell, who seems to have changed his mind on this.

@blenky - when you are in the standard main iPlayer on the Roku, it gives you an option to try the "UHD Trial".  Selecting that gives the error I have detailed.

So how are people seeing Blue Planet ll via Roku on JS/KS sets please?

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@rozel wrote:

@There seems total confusion here.  First, sorry @paul1111 my above message was meant for @dunwell, who seems to have changed his mind on this.

@blenky - when you are in the standard main iPlayer on the Roku, it gives you an option to try the "UHD Trial".  Selecting that gives the error I have detailed.

Thanks I was thinking the same. It seems to be on new tellies that can get both,  but as I have said on my friends Hience he got that error at first and then it did work. @dunwell can you confirm if you are getting the planet 2 on your roku stick? It will help others.  

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@rozel wrote:

@There seems total confusion here.  First, sorry @paul1111 my above message was meant for @dunwell, who seems to have changed his mind on this.

As stated the UHD trial ONLY works on my Roku+ (KS TV) when its set to beta iPlayer. 

So I go to 'Settings' and select 'Try new features in iPlayer BETA'. 

On next screen iPlayer BETA' is ticked as I've already selected it.

Underneath it says 'Play UHD test loop'.  When I select that below it says "This is looping highlights of an FA Cup game between West Brom and Southampton...'

I click 'Play UHD test loop' and the fottbal loop starts.

However if I select the standard iPlayer and go back to same page, 'iPlayer' will be ticked and there is an option that says 'Play Ultra HD Trial' .  If I select it I get the message 'Something went wrong loading this programme"

So you need to be using iPlayer BETA to see football loop.  No other UHD trials available.

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Hi - I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve said this. The ONLY test loop that works on the Roku is the FA Cup one. I’ve never said anything differently. Please don’t say I’ve changed my mind because I’ve been crystal clear over the last two weeks on this. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@blenky wrote:

@rozel wrote:

As stated the UHD trial ONLY works on my Roku+ (KS TV) when its set to beta iPlayer. 

So I go to 'Settings' and select 'Try new features in iPlayer BETA'. 

On next screen iPlayer BETA' is ticked as I've already selected it.

Underneath it says 'Play UHD test loop'.  When I select that below it says "This is looping highlights of an FA Cup game between West Brom and Southampton...'

I click 'Play UHD test loop' and the fottbal loop starts.

However if I select the standard iPlayer and go back to same page, 'iPlayer' will be ticked and there is an option that says 'Play Ultra HD Trial' .  If I select it I get the message 'Something went wrong loading this programme"

So you need to be using iPlayer BETA to see football loop.  No other UHD trials available.

Yep that I think is the planet 2 sample. Looks like the roku can not play it,  very odd. 

dunwell
Voyager
Options

This isn’t new information - I don’t think anyone on this forum has said the Roku can play the Planet Earth II demo at any point. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwell wrote:

This isn’t new information - I don’t think anyone on this forum has said the Roku can play the Planet Earth II demo at any point. 

Thanks that has cleared that up. So it does leave the question as to why it can only play one version of Hlg and not the other? Very odd. Think I will wait till I buy one.