Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 03-06-2018 01:56 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@rozel wrote:
Yes, when in iPlayer Beta, I then go into settings and change to the main iPlayer and then press "Restart". I then get the option to select the UHD trial, but the error comes up

Hi try powering down the stick and then restart it and then go into player. It may mean unplug from telly.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options
I have noticed it seems a lot more peaceful in this group now even though it is still the same issue. May be Samsung no longer feel the need to spread false rumors anymore. In fact they seem to be ignoring us altogether. 

dunwell
Voyager
Options

As stated a few times on this thread, the nature loop does not work on the Roku, only the football loop. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwell wrote:

As stated a few times on this thread, the nature loop does not work on the Roku, only the football loop. 

Thanks for that,  but for the roku owners and those thing of buying one,  what does that mean? If it was just an edid issue I would have thought both samples would work,  so is it an issue with the version of iplayer on the roku? 

All strange,  and again there seems to be know sensible answers from the manufacturers or iplayer. 

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Yes it is quite strange. Definitely not an EDID issue - something to do with the iPlayer app on the Roku itself. If I was pinning my hopes on Roku for the World Cup I’d be wanting the football loop to work....

rozel
Voyager
Options

This seems strange because you previously said it worked.  Now you are saying it doesn't?

When acessing the "UHD Trial" I get the following message: -

Something went wrong loading this programme.  This is usually a temporary problem.  You can try this programme again or try a different programme.

I have tried 3 things to get it to work: -

1. Restarted the iPlayer programme

2. Turned off the Roku, unplugged it from the power cord and then unplugged it from the HDMI input on TV.  Then pressed the reset button on the Roku

3.  Pressed the Home button 5 times then the up arrow one time then the rewind button 2 times followed by the fast forward button 2 times.

2. and 3. definately reset the Roku + but I still get the same problem in the main Roku iPlayer. 

I can get the Test Loop in iPlayer Beta perfectly.

This tells me that the Roku isn't going to work with the forthcoming Worls Cup Games

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Yes it is quite strange. Definitely not an EDID issue - something to do with the iPlayer app on the Roku itself. If I was pinning my hopes on Roku for the World Cup I’d be wanting the football loop to work....

Very good marketing strategy,  let people think it will work.  Think you need to ask the question before buying will it work for the world cup iplayer Hlg to the ks and js. If it then does not that is misselling and could get your money back. They most likely will not know at the retailers,  but it is on them to get that information. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@rozel wrote:

This seems strange because you previously said it worked.  Now you are saying it doesn't?

When acessing the "UHD Trial" I get the following message: -

Something went wrong loading this programme.  This is usually a temporary problem.  You can try this programme again or try a different programme.

I have tried 3 things to get it to work: -

1. Restarted the iPlayer programme

2. Turned off the Roku, unplugged it from the power cord and then unplugged it from the HDMI input on TV.  Then pressed the reset button on the Roku

3.  Pressed the Home button 5 times then the up arrow one time then the rewind button 2 times followed by the fast forward button 2 times.

2. and 3. definately reset the Roku + but I still get the same problem in the main Roku iPlayer. 

I can get the Test Loop in iPlayer Beta perfectly.

This tells me that the Roku isn't going to work with the forthcoming Worls Cup Games

It worked on my friends Hience tv,  but at first got that error and had to switch tell off and then back on and it then worked. Thought the same work around would work on the roku. Also the Hience is also not on the list but gets both iplayer Hlg feeds. 

Does not really help me with my ks8000.

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Go back to the mini review(s) of the Roku from the 19th May on this thread. You will see clearly stated what works and how well it works. As far as I know, nothing has changed since then. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Go back to the mini review(s) of the Roku from the 19th May on this thread. You will see clearly stated what works and how well it works. As far as I know, nothing has changed since then. 

I think the odd thing is why it won't play the planet earth 2 sample when I know it can be seen on the newer tellies.