Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 03-06-2018 08:20 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

@crashcris wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

Could be a gentle nudge to get you to buy their £3800 new q telly which by the looks of things will be again out of date wihin a year. 

Could be, but strangely enough it's acting more like a gentle push to buy a Panasonic OLED TX-55EZ952B in JL for £1649. Supports HLG though not on the list yet for the Live trial, 2017, I expect it to be included in the trial and when that's confirmed I'll be purchasing.

Hi mate

i would just do a bit of research, The Panasonics have also had issues with HLG iplayer. They did support it but didnt process the HLG correctly. Not sure the oled is effected but the DX902 was. Personally if you are to switch with Iplayer being a key reason then an LG B7 would probably be a safer bet

edit https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/blue-planet-201712154518.htm

cheers

Good link,  the question I have with the LG is it does not get nearly as bright as a LCD and does that become an issue with hdr Hlg content? 

Thanks

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

We have a couple of new LG's at work and I tried one today and it can see BOTH demos, but to be honest, I'm not blown away by the presentation at all. If that's the TV or HLG itself (it correctly identified HLG HDR).

Also I reckon the FA Cup demo IS a 'live' test.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

We have a couple of new LG's at work and I tried one today and it can see BOTH demos, but to be honest, I'm not blown away by the presentation at all. If that's the TV or HLG itself (it correctly identified HLG HDR).

Thanks for the info.  Do you think it is because they can not get very bright,  and what is the motion like? 

Thanks. 

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Thanks for the info.  Do you think it is because they can not get very bright,  and what is the motion like? 

Thanks. 

I think it would be hard to know as tastyburger hasnt stated the model, LG range from excellent with oled to bang average with the super uhd nanos (ips, ***** poor contrast) to utter junk with there entry level rgbw sets. I have seen a few comments where xyz set can do HLG but samsung cant, I think its important to note that HDR and HLG is utterly pointless on sets which are pushing a couple of hundred nits peak brightness on panels which arent even 10bit, they accept the signal but what you will be seeing would be an insult to HDR.

cheers

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Sorry, one is a 2017, the other a 2018 mid-range model. I think quite possibly rbgw jobs.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Sorry, one is a 2017, the other a 2018 mid-range model. I think quite possibly rbgw jobs.

So is the lower nits on the LG better than the higher nits on a LCD,  I. E.  the Sony.? 

Thanks 

Simon1980
Journeyman
Options

Honestly guys my tip to you all would be to sell up and get the LG b7/c7 . I had the ks9000 and like you lot got sick of Samsung and also the blooming on non oled tv's. I sold mine for £550 and put it towards the LG b7 which was £1400 .People worrying about the brightness shouldn't. The HDR on these oleds is much more defined and looks ALOT better because you can have pure black next to a bright light it stands out much more . On top of that it's OLED,HDR ,HLG,DOLBY VISION,DOLBY ATMOS and Active HDR (Basically HDR 10 +) . I watched the FA Cup final in 4k HLG and it it looked great . Samsung are never getting my coin again .

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options
Agreed, but the current crop of LG OLED's suffer burn-in, and there's no real reason for anyone to buy a TV until HDMI 2.1 is fully adopted across the industry.
Jay108
Voyager
Options

Please guys correct me but here is KS and JS owners position on Iplayer HLG  World Cup trial.

Unless roku appears on the supported list of Devices, we have no way of watching HLG World Cup. ?!!

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options
Unless of course Samsung provide a software upgrade. Which is very unlikely.
0 Likes