Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 01-06-2018 06:37 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

on the 2017 samsungs both demos are available, if in the normal iplayer app you select the uhd trial and get planet earth 2 if you tick the beta iplayer and restart the app and then select the UHD trial the footy is shown, do you think he has not bothered toggling the beta player on with his lg?

cheers

Hi I just asked my friend to try that on his Hisense 6800 and he confirms that following the above he can get both football and planet earth 2 in HLG. The Hisense is not on the list so seems odd. 

The current list on bbc web site is for devices that will support Live broadcast hlg trial. Hisense was probably on the old list that support the demo loop. 

So could be same for the roku as it is also not on the list.  Be interesting to see if the roku can get both demos. 

dunwell
Voyager
Options

The Roku can’t get both demos, only the football loop. 

Can someone clear something up for me here though please? Unlike the planet earth / blue planet ‘test / beta’ content, the Football appears to be a ‘live’ broadcast. 

I say this because the nature programmes when selected trigger the start of a new programme - i.e. as per starting a new on demand viewing. When selecting the football loop it joins the footage at a point in time, as if it’s being streamed live. Does that make sense?

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Can someone clear something up for me here though please? Unlike the planet earth / blue planet ‘test / beta’ content, the Football appears to be a ‘live’ broadcast. 

I say this because the nature programmes when selected trigger the start of a new programme - i.e. as per starting a new on demand viewing. When selecting the football loop it joins the footage at a point in time, as if it’s being streamed live. Does that make sense?

Yes it does make sense mate and its the same for me on a 2017 Samsung

cheers

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

on the 2017 samsungs both demos are available, if in the normal iplayer app you select the uhd trial and get planet earth 2 if you tick the beta iplayer and restart the app and then select the UHD trial the footy is shown, do you think he has not bothered toggling the beta player on with his lg?

cheers

Hi I just asked my friend to try that on his Hisense 6800 and he confirms that following the above he can get both football and planet earth 2 in HLG. The Hisense is not on the list so seems odd. 

The current list on bbc web site is for devices that will support Live broadcast hlg trial. Hisense was probably on the old list that support the demo loop. 

I dunno, I found a 1080p set in the list, so it could be all over the shop?

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Hi,  did you come out of iplayer beta to standard,  it restarts and the click on the beta and it gives the planet earth feed.  

The football may be a loop to simulate live,  just a guess. 

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Unless the BBC are broadcasting a non-HLG version of the HDR test loop (almost completely certain they’re not) then the Roku *must* be HLG compatible. 

Yes, the Roku it is HLG compatible. That's not the issue :smiling-face:

The Roku is also DVB-DASH compatible (the problem for us Samsung owners is that our Samsungs are not and never will be.).

As discussed yesterday, there are two different functions in the iPlayer app (regardless of device), which are doing  different things:

1.  "live streaming" 
  2.  "stream on demand a pre-recorded programme"

For 4k HDR streams, both will make use of HLG, DVB-DASH, and the Main 10 Profile, Level 5.1 HEVC parameters, all that stuff.

But it could be, we don't know yet but it could be, that any device's [current iPlayer App version] can do (2) but not (1) for 4k [and will therefore need a software update which will surely happen, but will take time]. Obviously, "device" here means the Roku being discussed today - but it could equally be any of the other HDMI devices which currently have working iPlayers that support DVB-DASH and work with case 2, "stream on demand a pre-recorded programme", such as the Blue Planet 2 streams - and of course, definitely not our Samsung's internal iPlayer.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

Unless the BBC are broadcasting a non-HLG version of the HDR test loop (almost completely certain they’re not) then the Roku *must* be HLG compatible. 

Yes it is HLG compatible. That's not the issue :smiling-face:

It's also DVB-DASH compatible, which is the problem for us Samsung owners.

As discussed yesterday, there are two different functions in iPlayer which are different:

1.  "live streaming" 
  2.  "stream on demand a pre-recorded programme"

Both will make use of HLG, DVB-DASH, and the Main 10 Profile, Level 5.1 HEVC parameters, all that stuff.

But it could be, we don't know yet but it could be, that a device's [current iPlayer App version] can do (2) but not (1) [and will therefore need a software update which will surely happen, but will take time]. 

I agree with what you are saying upto the software update will surely happen. I find it hard to understand why it is taking so long to fix if Samsung really wanted to fix this issue. I think and am probably wrong that Samsung are now working on their 2019 models and have no reason to fix what they probably think is an old 2016/2015 model. They would prefer you to buy their new tellies. 

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

You've misread my post. I was posting about iplayer Software for ROKU, not Samsung.

ROKU!

We've spent 300 pages ascertaining that a simple software change by Samsung or the BBC cannot ever give us 4K iplayer on our TVs. To get DVB-DASH support would need a full OS upgrade to the next Tizen OS which is not going to happen in a million years. I would not suddenly suggest that Samsung are going to do this unless I was on drugs and I had completely lost my mind. :smiling-face:

I'll clarify the earlier post just in case to make it clearer.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

You've misread my post. I was posting about iplayer Software for ROKU, not Samsung.

ROKU!

We've spent 300 pages ascertaining that a simple software change by Samsung or the BBC cannot ever give us 4K iplayer on our TVs. To get DVB-DASH support would need a full OS upgrade to the next Tizen OS which is not going to happen in a million years. I would not suddenly suggest that Samsung are going to do this unless I was on drugs and I had completely lost my mind. :smiling-face:

I'll clarify the earlier post just in case to make it clearer.

Unfortunately that does seem to be the case and I totally agree with you. 

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

Out of interest I looked at the iPlayer System Information on all my devices - which is Samsung KS TV, Samsung UHD bluray, Nvidia Shield, Virgin Media V6 and the Roku+.  ALL of them have the following in System Information:

BigScreen Version 4.6.110.1
Build Identifier: Thu May 31 2018 08:54:54
Framework Version: 8.1.2 config version: 8.1.2

Interesting that the build date co-incides with the announcement of the UHD World Cup.