Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 01-06-2018 03:48 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Keep your eyes peeled folks, looks like tonight's England - Nigeria game is being shot with UHD-HDR cameras.

I think ITV have the rights for home internationals 

cheers

UHD feed is coming from a different production truck.

Sorry bud

i meant its  unlikely to be viewable in this country as ITV hold the rights

cheers

Ah, gotya. :smiling-face:

Anyone able to confirm whether the Roku supports HLG - some twitter chatter suggests it might not be HLG compatible and is getting a different UHD trial loop on iPlayer to some other TV's.

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Unless the BBC are broadcasting a non-HLG version of the HDR test loop (almost completely certain they’re not) then the Roku *must* be HLG compatible. 

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Unless the BBC are broadcasting a non-HLG version of the HDR test loop (almost completely certain they’re not) then the Roku *must* be HLG compatible. 

I have the Roku and it definitely plays the current UHD FA cup match highlight loop in HLG. 

Jay108
Voyager
Options

roku still not on the list of supported devices for live HLG World cup trial broadcast. Just makes me so angry seeing loads of non- Samssung 2016 models of TV on the list.. Samsung could have sorted KS models if they wanted to. 

@AntS   i know you are only the messanger but you are the only one who can get the information we all been waiting for.

dunwell
Voyager
Options

It's probably futile but I think I will write formally (i.e. by good old Royal Mail!) to Samsung UK CEO. Quite tempted to print all 300 pages of this thread and include as a bound addendum to the letter; should draw some attention to the strength of feeling at least.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

It's probably futile but I think I will write formally (i.e. by good old Royal Mail!) to Samsung UK CEO. Quite tempted to print all 300 pages of this thread and include as a bound addendum to the letter; should draw some attention to the strength of feeling at least.

Yes , I agree with you.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

That's what I thought, but the Forbes chap has tried his LG C8 and the Roku, and the LG is seeing the Blue Planet demo and the Roku is seeing the FA Cup demo. 

More murky soup for the bowl.

chopples123
Voyager
Options

on the 2017 samsungs both demos are available, if in the normal iplayer app you select the uhd trial and get planet earth 2 if you tick the beta iplayer and restart the app and then select the UHD trial the footy is shown, do you think he has not bothered toggling the beta player on with his lg?

cheers

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

on the 2017 samsungs both demos are available, if in the normal iplayer app you select the uhd trial and get planet earth 2 if you tick the beta iplayer and restart the app and then select the UHD trial the footy is shown, do you think he has not bothered toggling the beta player on with his lg?

cheers

Hi I just asked my friend to try that on his Hisense 6800 and he confirms that following the above he can get both football and planet earth 2 in HLG. The Hisense is not on the list so seems odd. 

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

cheers

Hi I just asked my friend to try that on his Hisense 6800 and he confirms that following the above he can get both football and planet earth 2 in HLG. The Hisense is not on the list so seems odd. 

The current list on bbc web site is for devices that will support Live broadcast hlg trial. Hisense was probably on the old list that support the demo loop.