Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 01-06-2018 09:48 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@rozel wrote:

How does that affect the Roku as that is wifi only?  Does your shield magically transform the Roku into an ethernet device somehow?

No I was just trying to say that the shield through Ethernet was getting over 80 meg but over WiFi half of that and as the roku was WiFi only unless it was right next to the router it might struggle to get 40 meg. Sorry for confusion. 

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@JTE wrote:

A common sense attitude to Roku. As HLG is backward compatible you will never really know if you have HLG/HDR or a 4K picture without the wide colour Gammit unless the device is listed as compatable. Seems quite simple really and detracts from Samsung doing what they should do in the first place.

Although HLG will "work", for some value of work, on a non-HLG capable display, it's not intended to be watchable, only for basic monitoring within the broacast chain. The colours are seriously screwed up.

They do not, and will not, send a HLG picture to a consumer non-HLG display.

The SDR streams are different streams to the HLG HDR streams. I don't know why this one keeps coming back! 😞

Please refer again to the BBC blog article posted the other day here, to read about the lengths the BBC went to, to down-convert HLG HDR down to SDR for the Royal Wedding. It needs very serious professional kit to do properly, and it's something done by the broadcaster at their end.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

Had a quick online chat on bbc iplayer advisor. Asked why roku is not on the list. He said that some devices worked on previous trials do not meet the required standards for live broadcast trial.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/live-uhd 

If you go to this link it gives you an option for online chat with technical advisor.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

Had a quick online chat on bbc iplayer advisor. Asked why roku is not on the list. He said that some devices worked on previous trials do not meet the required standards for live broadcast trial.

That's disappointing.  I wonder what standards he means.  Its not bandwidth as you can get over the minimum requirement of 20Mbps.  

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/live-uhd 

If you go to this link it gives you an option for online chat with technical advisor.

Yes found it.  Its a web chat.  The person I chatted with I would not call a technical adviser.  They were as helpful as they could be.  In relation to devices that were there for previous trials but not there now he said

"However, not all devices will be compatible to support this trial, even if they’d been certified for previous trials. This due to the new trial running different software that may not fully work as planned with some devices"

I asked what "different software" actually means but had no further info.

I also asked why some devices were now not compatible when the technical blog says:

The distribution to iPlayer will be Main 10 Profile, Level 5.1 HEVC with HLG signalling.  This is the same as we used for our Blue Planet II trials.

Again he could not answer that and suggested I contact via the main iPlayer contact page.

Ah well if the Roku is a dud I can always sell it on eBay and enjoy the World Cup in good old plain vanilla HD!

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Keep your eyes peeled folks, looks like tonight's England - Nigeria game is being shot with UHD-HDR cameras.

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Keep your eyes peeled folks, looks like tonight's England - Nigeria game is being shot with UHD-HDR cameras.

I think ITV have the rights for home internationals 

cheers

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

cheers

UHD feed is coming from a different production truck.

chopples123
Voyager
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

cheers

UHD feed is coming from a different production truck.

Sorry bud

i meant its  unlikely to be viewable in this country as ITV hold the rights

cheers