Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 31-05-2018 11:32 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

Top stuff, 50hz is a must IMO anyone who will have watched the 30hz 4k BT champs league youtube stream will see how appalling sport is at such a low refresh rate.

Also 40megabit minimum internet, this should be excellent quality. First come first serve though which means some will miss out once servers hit capacity. 

cheers

Server capacity wont be an issue as it is broadcast not VoD so a single stream for everyone

Banddith requirement should be between 15-25 MBPs even if they decide to use ATMOS, interlaced data even if it has double the rfresh rate but still has half the resolution

EDIT: looks like BBC have upped the ante, but goo dthing is that you can still use HLG which is much better than full 4K

What quality can I expect? 

This will depend on your internet connection. For the full 3840 pixel Ultra HD, you'll need at least a 40Mbit/s connection. If your connection is 20Mbit/s and above, you'll be presented with 2560 pixel Ultra HD. All footage will be shown at 50 frames per second. 

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@disrember.... the line from the page showing a list of compatable TVs for the world cup BROADCAST web page does indeed seem to omit ROKU---

"The following devices currently support the BBC iPlayer UHD live streams. Not all devices that were listed as supporting the on-demand UHD streams are included."

I read that as meaning that the ROKU is only set up for the (as yet) on-demand trial video of the football loop and is NOT going to be part of this broadcast trial.

It might just be a clumsy choice of words by the BBC, but I'm holding off from a ROKU and will be interested to hear from others when this happens as to whether the ROKU is included in the world cup UHD.

Fez15
Journeyman
Options

I read that Apple TV will get HLG update in the next update 

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

Top stuff, 50hz is a must IMO anyone who will have watched the 30hz 4k BT champs league youtube stream will see how appalling sport is at such a low refresh rate.

Also 40megabit minimum internet, this should be excellent quality. First come first serve though which means some will miss out once servers hit capacity. 

cheers

Server capacity wont be an issue as it is broadcast not VoD so a single stream for everyone

Banddith requirement should be between 15-25 MBPs even if they decide to use ATMOS, interlaced data even if it has double the rfresh rate but still has half the resolution

Hi Mate

Check out the "restricted view" section of the BBC article

edit... there is also another article where if only 20mb is available you will get access to the 2560 stream u need the full 40mb to get the 3840

cheers

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@Fez15 wrote:

I read that Apple TV will get HLG update in the next update 

Hi Mate

Next IOS released september so if anything announced in July it will only be in beta.

HLG is only one part of the equation, its my understanding the ATV 4k doesnt even handle the 4k SDR streams atm

cheers

0 Likes
simon194
First Poster
Options

@dunwell wrote:

For Sky to be a solution to this issue, inside the next 14 days the following must happen:

- Sky to rollout new firmware to SkyQ which makes HDR available

- BBC to update its SkyQ "App" to delivery UHD / HLG streams

- Samsung to rollout new firmware to fix EDID handshake issue

I would rate the chances of this at 0%

The current firmware on Sky Q is HDR capable it just needs Sky to "flick the switch".

I will agree it is unlikely, though.

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

Also so Sky Q did have Blue planet 2 in 4k so I guess there may be an option of 4K SDR which will still be a significant upgrade over the sub 10mb 1080i broadcast

cheers

0 Likes
Frazzler
Explorer
Options
Roku+ ordered quickly cancelled.
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@Frazzler wrote:

I might be wrong about the ROKU, but they do seem to be differentiating between live broadcast and on-demand. Very disappointing if it is so.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Frazzler wrote:

I know the hianci TV can play the iplayer loop but is also not on the list.