Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 24-05-2018 07:25 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
axpetts
Apprentice
Options

Can anyone confirm whether the UHD test loop is still up on the Iplayer Beta? I have just bought a Samsung UDB-M9500 blu ray player and cannot see the test loop anywhere on its version of the beta iplayer. I did read on another forum that this blu ray player does support the HLG Iplayer and am wondering whether I need a Roku as well in so as I can watch HLG iplayer on my KS8000 tv.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

I will make my reply short, too :). Your post is strangely pro-Sky considering we are discussing a hostile business practice that stinks. This is the only reason I am replying, for balance.

@JAMES4578 wrote:

Sky have chosen the route of using the Multiscreen subscription for UHD rather than a seperate charge

"Rather than?! Here you seem to have accepted without question the outrageous idea that there should be some extra charge, and it's just a matter of deciding which one?! That is bonkers and only plays into their hands. You might be happy to pull your trousers down and bend over for Sky, but please don't speak for the rest of who do not!

Any extra charge for 4K and/or HDR cannot be justified, any more than charging for Dolby Digital 5.1 sound cannot ever be justified. Both significantly improve the enjoyment of programmes, they are merely the progression of technology. Sadly, people have shown odd willingness to pay extra for HD over more than a decade - which also cannot be justified in the year 2018 yet they are still doing it for sport (funny that they aren't doing it for Movies, nothing to do with Netflix and Amazon is it? Eh? oh no!). So this means Sky are banking on the fact that enough of their genuflecting customerbase, those who think that Sky are actually innovating instead of following other providers, will just cough up the money.

@JAMES4578 wrote:

suits larger households who had it already but not so convenient for others.  Whilst no choice but to take Multiscreen for UHD you are not forced to take a Mini as such  (charge also covers Tablets)

Suits some, but "not so convenient" for others? Oddly pro-sky way of putting it. No, it means Sky are openly stating to those customers, in a very hostile way, that they do not want their custom. That's not "inconvenient", it's telling potential customers to f**k off.

@JAMES4578 wrote:

Whilst no choice but to take Multiscreen for UHD you are not forced to take a Mini as such  (charge also covers Tablets)

Oh, well, that's ok then (!) :smileyfrustrated:

rozel
Voyager
Options

Just for more balance Mr T - do you have Sky?

0 Likes
ne_on
Pioneer
Options

Wow mr tickle has some issues. Not only does he rant on but he has to constantly go back and edit his scripts because he’s in that much of a rage all the time. Come on mate

Sky q actually works out cheaper for households with more than 2 screens as you now only have to pay one multiroom subscription just for the record. We have to pay for everything that’s in demand. You even have to pay a higher subscription fee for Netflix just to uhd. It’s just how things work.

We are not happy with Samsung’s treatment of us 2016 tv owners. Sky is completely seperate issue

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@axpetts wrote:

Can anyone confirm whether the UHD test loop is still up on the Iplayer Beta? I have just bought a Samsung UDB-M9500 blu ray player and cannot see the test loop anywhere on its version of the beta iplayer. I did read on another forum that this blu ray player does support the HLG Iplayer and am wondering whether I need a Roku as well in so as I can watch HLG iplayer on my KS8000 tv.

I asked my son who has a lgand he confirms the footbal UHD HLG sample is still there under settings. If the device does not support Iplayer 4K HLG then you will not see the sample. I have seen it and it does look good.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@ne_on wrote:

Wow mr tickle has some issues. Not only does he rant on but he has to constantly go back and edit his scripts because he’s in that much of a rage all the time. Come on mate

Sky q actually works out cheaper for households with more than 2 screens as you now only have to pay one multiroom subscription just for the record. We have to pay for everything that’s in demand. You even have to pay a higher subscription fee for Netflix just to uhd. It’s just how things work.

We are not happy with Samsung’s treatment of us 2016 tv owners. Sky is completely seperate issue

He is dead right, sky are ripping off their customers. Remember the big fan fair with Sky HD, only it was not full HD but 1080i. They never said that. The Dolby Digital was actually useless so I agree sky are very good at misleading people. I would say to him, be careful because you could be labelled as a trouble maker but if you are like me, that will not stop me from saying what I think is right.

rozel
Voyager
Options

Can  people slagging off Sky please indicate if they have it

axpetts
Apprentice
Options
Thank's paul1111. Not the answer I was hoping for! Looks like the blu ray player does not support HLG iplayer after all then. Seems I will need a Roku in order to get this working. I've already resigned myself to getting a HD Fury for when Sky HLG is released (hopefully very soon). It looks like it will be quite expensive to get my KS8000 showing HLG iplayer and Sky Q HLG - I'm not confident Samsung will do the EDID update required for Sky Q and they've already said no iplayer update. Pretty poor for saying it was an expensive TV and is only 2 years old.
ne_on
Pioneer
Options

Not here to cause trouble at all.

just giving my opinion. I agree Sky are on the expensive side for the service they provide. But their platform is unrivalled as of now which is probably why they are able to do so.

Also, correct me I am wrong but I’m pretty sure Sky made it clear that the mini boxes will not be able to show 4K?

0 Likes
ne_on
Pioneer
Options

Sorry if this is repititative.

But has Samsung given a final answer on bbc I player not being updated or are we waiting for further info from sky.

Also, what is this supposed announcement we are all waiting for from Samsung. Is it regarding the EDID update. Someone please get me up to date 

0 Likes