Support

Open search

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

Voyager

@TastyBurger666 wrote:


Totally agree, mate - but I think it does bear separating that 4k broadcasts will only work on the 2tb SkyQ device as that's the only one with HDMI 2.0b, the 1tb, and the Mini are 1.4a and will never be able to receive 4k content.

 

(and also subject to buying the appropriate bundle package)

 

And as has already been noted, it's cheeky of Sky to force multiroom with a product that can't receive 4k broadcasts - one might even say... misselling? 

 

 


I know its a bit offtopic but I agree this is very frustrating, the worst thing about it is if you wish to download a TV series  in 4k, the content can be seen on other boxes but due to the above it wont play. You have two have 2 versions of each episode (4k,1080i) to cover all bases

 

cheers

Helping Hand

@chopples123 wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:


Totally agree, mate - but I think it does bear separating that 4k broadcasts will only work on the 2tb SkyQ device as that's the only one with HDMI 2.0b, the 1tb, and the Mini are 1.4a and will never be able to receive 4k content.

 

(and also subject to buying the appropriate bundle package)

 

And as has already been noted, it's cheeky of Sky to force multiroom with a product that can't receive 4k broadcasts - one might even say... misselling? 

 

 


I know its a bit offtopic but I agree this is very frustrating, the worst thing about it is if you wish to download a TV series  in 4k, the content can be seen on other boxes but due to the above it wont play. You have two have 2 versions of each episode (4k,1080i) to cover all bases

 

cheers


Hmm, although that is bad, there could be technical reasons for it. One is that the 4K versions may use a more advanced video codec which the mini box can't decode, or - I suspect - doesn't have the CPU power to decode. Secondly, even if it can, in future the 4K versions will be HDR (we hope and assume). And if that's the case, you definitely need separate HDR and SDR versions, just like Netflix and Amazon have.

 

Relying on a consumer device to "tone-map" down to SDR for display on a normal TV won't work. It needs to be done at the broadcaster's end; the colourist will create two separate gradings, one for SDR and one for HDR with completely different decisions being made for the lighting of each scene.

(You can see the results when HDR to SDR tonemapping is attempted by watching YouTube HDR videos on your PC).

 

So whilst it's inconvenient, in this one instance it's not just Sky being Sky.

 

Hotshot

@mrtickle wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:


Totally agree, mate - but I think it does bear separating that 4k broadcasts will only work on the 2tb SkyQ device as that's the only one with HDMI 2.0b, the 1tb, and the Mini are 1.4a and will never be able to receive 4k content.

 

(and also subject to buying the appropriate bundle package)

 

And as has already been noted, it's cheeky of Sky to force multiroom with a product that can't receive 4k broadcasts - one might even say... misselling? 

 

 


I know its a bit offtopic but I agree this is very frustrating, the worst thing about it is if you wish to download a TV series  in 4k, the content can be seen on other boxes but due to the above it wont play. You have two have 2 versions of each episode (4k,1080i) to cover all bases

 

cheers


Hmm, although that is bad, there could be technical reasons for it. One is that the 4K versions may use a more advanced codec which the mini box can't decode, or doesn't have the CPU power to decode. Secondly, even if it can, in future the 4K versions will be HDR (we hope and assume). And if that's the case, you definitely need separate HDR and SDR versions, just like Netflix and Amazon have.

 

Relying on a consumer device to "tone-map" down to SDR for display on a normal TV won't work. It needs to be done at the broadcaster's end; the colourist will create two separate gradings, one for SDR and one for HDR with completely different decisions being made for the lighting of each scene.

(You can see the results when HDR to SDR tonemapping is attempted by watching YouTube HDR videos on your PC).

 

So whilst it's inconvenient, in this one instance it's not just Sky being Sky.

 


I see what you are saying but it does seem a bit odd when a cheap Amazon TV can do 4k hdr so the processor required is now quite cheap. 

I think sky being sky is correct because you need to pay for the 1080 mini if you want the deal. And at £12 a month more its not cheap.  Netflix and Amazon prime are both cheaper. 

Navigator

The Sky Q minis will never be able to show 4k content, mainly down to bandwidth issues. You need to remember that they are wireless devices and rely entirely on wi-fi and it can be challenge at times to get a 1080i programme to play without stuttering. I know they can also be hardwired to the main box but thats not usually the case. 

Hotshot

@stevej190 wrote:

The Sky Q minis will never be able to show 4k content, mainly down to bandwidth issues. You need to remember that they are wireless devices and rely entirely on wi-fi and it can be challenge at times to get a 1080i programme to play without stuttering. I know they can also be hardwired to the main box but thats not usually the case. 


Funny how Netflix and Amazon and youtube all use wifi and can receive and play 4K and HDR in full Dolby Sound (except youtube which still is just stereo). I use a shield TV and using wifi that sends a 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos so should be the same with a sky box, unless the wifi ability off the sky router is not up to the job.

Voyager

@stevej190 wrote:

The Sky Q minis will never be able to show 4k content, mainly down to bandwidth issues. You need to remember that they are wireless devices and rely entirely on wi-fi and it can be challenge at times to get a 1080i programme to play without stuttering. I know they can also be hardwired to the main box but thats not usually the case. 


Hi Mate

 

Its because the mini cannot hardware decode HEVC and the hdmi port doesnt have the appropriate security, HEVC is an efficient codec and 4k sat broadcasts are usually only the the 15-20mbit range, more than enough for wifi tbh

 

My gripe though was there insistance of requiring hardware for a feature which that hardware cannot even support. On top of that the hardware (mini) is not even capable of hiding the material it cannot play, 

 

cheers

Highlighted
Navigator
I agree its not a great situation which Sky could do much better at making clear.
Paul1111 compares it to watching amazon or Netflix HDR wireless though which isn't quite fair. That's just one screen, how would your household wifi cope if you were doing that with 2 or 3 devices at the same time on different tv's at the same time?
Hotshot

@stevej190 wrote:
I agree its not a great situation which Sky could do much better at making clear.
Paul1111 compares it to watching amazon or Netflix HDR wireless though which isn't quite fair. That's just one screen, how would your household wifi cope if you were doing that with 2 or 3 devices at the same time on different tv's at the same time?

The main picture comes through the sat dish so no wifi band width use there. If you want 4k then you have to have a mini using wifi or hardwired so it should be able to deal with that, which is just one device which should not be to much trouble.

It seems @chopples123 has hit it on the head by saying the box was never designed to receive 4K even though Sky force it on you when you want a 4K package. If that is not underhand then I don't know what is. It's definitely misleading.

Hotshot

@stevej190 wrote:

The Sky Q minis will never be able to show 4k content, mainly down to bandwidth issues. You need to remember that they are wireless devices and rely entirely on wi-fi and it can be challenge at times to get a 1080i programme to play without stuttering. I know they can also be hardwired to the main box but thats not usually the case. 


But if I remember the minis use the internal WiFi,  not external. That means you should get a lot more bandwidth unlike with Netflix which uses external bandwidth from your Broadband supplier. Internal should go as fast as the router will go and a lot faster then what you will get from sky. 

Superuser I
Superuser I

Got a feeling that several  recent posts should be in the Skq forum rather than here, however folk have just carried on. Will make this as short  as possible,  certainly it is the case that the Skyq Mini Boxes have hardware limitations which prevent them displaying  UHD  content and remainns to be seen if an upgraded version will become available at some point. Whilst may not be widely publicsed it is in te small print.  Sky have chosen the route of using the Multiscreen subscription for UHD rather than a seperate charge, suits larger households who had it already but not so convenient for others.  Whilst no choice but to take Multiscreen for UHD you are not forced to take a Mini as such  (charge also covers Tablets)

Top Liked Authors