Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 24-05-2018 10:57 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwell wrote:

My view would be:

- It's great we now have a solution to the initial point of this thread being created.

However:

- It is entirely unsatisfactory that customers who have spent £1,000+ on JS & KS TVs have had to spend an additional £50 - £80 on a supplementary device

- The Roku streaming stick may stop working at any time if (perversely) they ever fix the Roku interpretation of an EDID handshake

- We could be on the brink of a significant amount of HLG / HDR broadcast content, particularly for SkyQ subscribers, which won't be available without an EDID fix to the Samsung TV firmware

So the original issue has been mitigated but not resolved and larger, future issues are forseeable without any definitive word of a fix being worked on.

Remember, this thread (which I think is the most replied to ever on Samsung's EU forums by quite some distance) came about because JS & KS owners couldn't watch Blue Planet II in HDR. A shame? Certainly. A travesty? Not really, the Blu-Rays are cheap, available and look even better in HDR than the HLG broadcast versions.

Just imagine the level of opprobrium when JS / KS owners find they can't watch Premier League football, Ryder Cup golf, Formula One and hundreds of hours of dramas and documentaries on linear broadcast channels every day of the week.

The EDID fix is needed more than ever, regardless of the good news we've had with the Roku Streaming Stick+.

I agree 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@crashcris wrote:

Good for you @chopples123, meanwhile, JS owners are completely ignored. Come on Samsung, where's this announcement?

I think you may be waiting a long time.  The KS and JS I do not think will get sorted.  Samsung would much prefer you to buy a new tell. Thing is I don't think HLG will be properly on stream for a while yet so I am waiting for the HDMI 2.1. I have freeveiw and Netflix which dies the job. 

Gimpfont
Explorer
Options

I have changed my iplayer settings to iplayer beta but I cannot find any UHD content anywhere? Where do I find the UHD loop? Specfically the football?

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

On which device?

0 Likes
Balb0wa
Apprentice
Options

So the KU6400 cant play the uhd loop through the inbuilt app, poor really for a telly that ive had for 1 year.

My dads MU6400 works fine on iplayer and the uhd loop.

Wont be getting another Samsung TV.

Gimpfont
Explorer
Options

I've tried my friends Sony 2017 TV, forget the model number I think it is 9005e?

I've also tried my XBox one X.

Apologies if this is why, I was under the impression that the apps would all have the loop but it would only play on the Roku.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

My view would be:

- It's great we now have a solution to the initial point of this thread being created.

However:

- It is entirely unsatisfactory that customers who have spent £1,000+ on JS & KS TVs have had to spend an additional £50 - £80 on a supplementary device

- The Roku streaming stick may stop working at any time if (perversely) they ever fix the Roku interpretation of an EDID handshake

- We could be on the brink of a significant amount of HLG / HDR broadcast content, particularly for SkyQ subscribers, which won't be available without an EDID fix to the Samsung TV firmware

So the original issue has been mitigated but not resolved and larger, future issues are forseeable without any definitive word of a fix being worked on.

Remember, this thread (which I think is the most replied to ever on Samsung's EU forums by quite some distance) came about because JS & KS owners couldn't watch Blue Planet II in HDR. A shame? Certainly. A travesty? Not really, the Blu-Rays are cheap, available and look even better in HDR than the HLG broadcast versions.

Just imagine the level of opprobrium when JS / KS owners find they can't watch Premier League football, Ryder Cup golf, Formula One and hundreds of hours of dramas and documentaries on linear broadcast channels every day of the week.

The EDID fix is needed more than ever, regardless of the good news we've had with the Roku Streaming Stick+.

Totally agree, mate - but I think it does bear separating that 4k broadcasts will only work on the 2tb SkyQ device as that's the only one with HDMI 2.0b, the 1tb, and the Mini are 1.4a and will never be able to receive 4k content.

(and also subject to buying the appropriate bundle package)

And as has already been noted, it's cheeky of Sky to force multiroom with a product that can't receive 4k broadcasts - one might even say... misselling? 

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@Gimpfont wrote:

I've tried my friends Sony 2017 TV, forget the model number I think it is 9005e?

I've also tried my XBox one X.

Apologies if this is why, I was under the impression that the apps would all have the loop but it would only play on the Roku.

It's not available on the One X app, although that's not to say it'll never be, seeing as the YouTube app is uprated for 4k/60 on the X.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

My view would be:

However:

Totally agree, mate - but I think it does bear separating that 4k broadcasts will only work on the 2tb SkyQ device as that's the only one with HDMI 2.0b, the 1tb, and the Mini are 1.4a and will never be able to receive 4k content.

(and also subject to buying the appropriate bundle package)

And as has already been noted, it's cheeky of Sky to force multiroom with a product that can't receive 4k broadcasts - one might even say... misselling? 

You are right because sky say nothing about the mini's not able to receive 4k. 

gfsracing
Navigator
Options

Taken from AVSforums site. 

"Some good news from the DirecTV engineer. He's looking for a reference number with Samsung. He did hear they had problems with the HLG over HDMI EDID fix and are reworking it.

So...hopefully that is all true and Samsung is actually planning a fix. Stay tuned...."