Support

Open search

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

Voyager

looks like both pocket lint and trusted reviews are just regurgitating this article

 

http://www.insideci.co.uk/news/sky-launches-4k-hdr-on-sky-italia-so-is-the-uk-next.aspx

 

F1 is massive in Italy due to ferrari and Sky delibratley planned the HDR launch around this, we on this forum have known about it for months. So I honestly have no idea where all these articles have suddenly come from lol

 

Speculating here but I expect Sky UK to roll out HLG on the back of a big event. I personally expect that event to be the the start of the new EPL season. 

 

cheers

Helping Hand

@chopples123 wrote:

looks like both pocket lint and trusted reviews are just regurgitating this article

 

http://www.insideci.co.uk/news/sky-launches-4k-hdr-on-sky-italia-so-is-the-uk-next.aspx

 

F1 is massive in Italy due to ferrari and Sky delibratley planned the HDR launch around this, we on this forum have known about it for months. So I honestly have no idea where all these articles have suddenly come from lol

 


Indeed. There's no journalism anymore, just cutting and pasting of the same content (with no sources or hard information) to sell advertising.

 

Highlighted
Navigator
After playing around with the Roku streaming stick for a couple of days I’ve noticed one issue with the Amazon app.
It’s not yet HDR enabled and plays 4k in SDR only which apparently is something that might change in the future. Netflix plays HDR fine on the few shows I tried.
Not a big issue as we have the HDR app on the tv but just a heads up and may avoid some of you pulling your hair out trying.
Voyager

@mrtickle wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

looks like both pocket lint and trusted reviews are just regurgitating this article

 

http://www.insideci.co.uk/news/sky-launches-4k-hdr-on-sky-italia-so-is-the-uk-next.aspx

 

F1 is massive in Italy due to ferrari and Sky delibratley planned the HDR launch around this, we on this forum have known about it for months. So I honestly have no idea where all these articles have suddenly come from lol

 


Indeed. There's no journalism anymore, just cutting and pasting of the same content (with no sources or hard information) to sell advertising.

 


Boxes in Italy use same hardware, made by same subsidiary NDS, so there should not be any rtecnical limitaion on 2TB boxes, maybe SKy thinking how to push users of old boxes to new ones

Helping Hand

@hdmi wrote:

 


Boxes in Italy use same hardware, made by same subsidiary NDS, so there should not be any rtecnical limitaion on 2TB boxes, maybe SKy thinking how to push users of old boxes to new ones


Being expected to pay an extra £144 / year just to get 4K on top of an already astronomical cost, isn't much of an incentive at the moment! :smileyfrustrated:

Voyager

@mrtickle wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

 


Boxes in Italy use same hardware, made by same subsidiary NDS, so there should not be any rtecnical limitaion on 2TB boxes, maybe SKy thinking how to push users of old boxes to new ones


Being expected to pay an extra £144 / year just to get 4K on top of an already astronomical cost, isn't much of an incentive at the moment! :smileyfrustrated:


I've goit a sweet deal with SKy Q, so looking forward to HDR :smileywink:

Voyager

£144?  Have I missed something?   Where does it say that?

Suppose I'm in on the basis of in for a penny,  in for a pound    And if Sky Q eventually launch HDR as promised and my KS can't receive the HLG,  then it's a HD Fury for me!  People seem to be betting on when and what event Sky will announce HDR will become available.   My bet is on the Ryder  Cup, not sure why though,  except that was when I originally signed up for Sky Plus! (as an early adopter).

Regarding the Roku stick,  I've been a numpty,  yes I  can get the iplayer beta UHD Loop in lovely HDR but nothing else on iPlayer - I need to sort my settings as they are all maxed out when I plug in the Roku.  I'll have a play around this weekend.  

 

Voyager

A requirement for UHD apart from having the 2tb silver box is that you have to take out multiroom with at least one mini which is £12 per month

 

cheers

Voyager

Ahh - thank you.   Phew I have 1 mini

Helping Hand

Yes. It's aimed squarely at families, with multiroom. If you are a single-TV household, you are screwed over. Sky have created the pricing structure and billing systems such that it's not even possible on the system to get 4K resolution unless you have multiroom. They clearly want to limit their market.

There is no technical requirement whatsoever for this. It's like BMW saying that if you buy a 5 Series, they will kludge it to be stuck permanently in 2nd gear unless you also buy a Mini. You only want and need ONE car, but they expect you to buy two and will screw over the car you wanted if you don't comply.

 

 

 

 

Top Liked Authors