Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 20-05-2018 05:57 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@blenky wrote:

Could it be that Samsung fixed the EDID issue in the last firmware and its only now we have found an external HLG enabled iPlayer that we are seeing the result?

No, we already know that the EDID is the same in this firmware, see earlier posts. The devices which are sending HLG via HDMI into the TV are those devices which don't ask the TV if it can display it. (It can, but if asked in the EDID, the TV doesn't say that it can).

0 Likes
ne_on
Pioneer
Options

Guys speaking of firmware. Anyone know why I can’t update to 1220.7. I’ve tried to download off the website and install through usb but I get the message no update is found. Think it’s a common problem. Can’t get it over the air either

thanks

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@blenky wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Sky's announced its broadcasting the Isle of Wight Festival LIVE in 4k AND Dolby Atmos. 19 hours worth in total.

Nice.  Sigh, I'm a VM customer :-<.  Will that be HDR as well?

No. No mention of HDR at all. If it was HDR, they would have shouted it from the rooftops.

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/tech/music-festival-goes-4k-uhd-and-dolby-atmos/5129474.article

Remember, sky's boxes in the UK CANNOT do HDR yet. Italy yes. Germany no, UK no.

So it's a "no". 

Virgin Media are a long way ahead of Sky in technology, particularly when it comes to HDR. The Virgin V6 TiVo box already supports HDR.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@ne_on wrote:

Guys speaking of firmware. Anyone know why I can’t update to 1220.7. I’ve tried to download off the website and install through usb but I get the message no update is found. Think it’s a common problem. Can’t get it over the

No problems reported in the last 6 weeks, so no not common :smiling-face:

Make sure you are properly expanding the firmware archive EXE file. You have run it on a PC, and follow the on-screen instructions. You can't just shove the EXE file on a USB stick :smiling-face:

Let us know what you're doing if this doesn't work, step by step?

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Right I've set up the Roku + on my KS9500 and all seems OK  but am a little confused.

1. How can you tell with the Samsung TV what the Display quality is?  I don't mean what you set the HDMI ports to accept,  but what it is playing at any given time? Other than checking if the backlight is at max 20 of course.  Also is there a setting in the Roku's settings for it to show on screen what the Display quality is?  The * button doesn't shoe much.

2.  The UHD HLG Test Loop is fabulous and IMHO it is better than the Sky UHD (non-HLG of course) variety.   On this viewing,  I  must assume playing back in UHD HLG.  But having selected the iPlayer Beta on the Roku,  I then watched the Wedding.   Clearly superb but I guess not UHD but still HLG?  

3. Is everything the Roku plays HLG?   Even before you select anything the pictures and screens seem to be HLG as they are much brighter and vibrant.   Going back to Sky's iPlayer the wedding pictures were sharper (UHD),  but less vibrant (non HLG)  and then going to the TV's iPlayer - ughhhh!  Being relevant of course.

4.  Currently Roku  is plugged into TV's Hdmi 4 (arc) port but I need to plug into my amp (Yamaha RXA1070) so I can get pass through.  Any advice? Or is it straight forward?

So on the basis of the UHD Test Loop alone,  it works but would like to know the answers to the above please.

ne_on
Pioneer
Options

Right. I’ve basically followed the instruction set by Samsung . Where I download and run the exe file. Extract to the usb stick. Make sure the folders are there. Eject safley. Plug in to the tele. Search for update via usb and it comes back with a pop up message saying no update is found or something along them lines

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@blenky    Thank you very much blenky, most helpful. Think I might give the Roku+ another buy/try. I'd still very much appreciate hearing from others as to whether they experience the same as you do. I'm on Virgin 50mps BB so the bandwidth should suffice.

Thanks again, you're a star!

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

@rozel

(1) On the TV remote press the info button (marked with a little 'i') - that will show you in the top right hand corner what the picture format is. There should be an HDR logo if what you're watching is HDR / HLG...

(2) I don't think the wedding is in any form of HDR, just 1080p (it was in UHD on Sky)

(3) No, only the FA Cup loop is in HLG

(4) If plugging into an amp, select a spare HDMI port - but it must be HDCP 2.2 compatible (I also have a Yamaha AVR and the two ports which are compliant are both clearly marked as such in small writing above them). The Yamaha Amp also needs setting to 4k mode which is in a special menu; hopefully you've done that already if you've been watching SkyQ in UHD for a while?

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Thanks @dunwell, much appreciated.   I didn't think the info button told me anything about HDR or HLG,  so thanks for that,  I'll check later. However,  I'm watching BGT on ITV Catchup right now and pressing "i"  on TV's remote shows UHD but obviously not.  I've been advised this shows what TV's settings are not what is playing back - can you confirm please? I would confirm Sky Q is set to 2160 UHD. I'm more confused though as clearly my TV is showing everything much more vibrant via the Roku and checking,  my backlight is maxed out.  Regarding the Yamaha - yes I've sussed the beast out - I merrily stream bluray UHD HDR films from my media server and Samsung K8500 Bluray player and always receive UHD via Sky Q.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@rozel, the "i" banner only works on HDMI sources and the internal tuner. Doesn't work for internal apps or USB content.

The TV is always displaying 4K. Everything smaller is scaled up. Otherwise you'd have a poststage stamp in the middle of the screen. The Info banner shows what's going into the TV.