Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 20-05-2018 02:43 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
About-Time
Explorer
Options

@About-Time wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@About-Time wrote:

Still find hard to believe we have a solution to BBC iplayer, as I have checked the ROKU stick + and Fire TV 3, each day, for past 6 months.

Just out of interest I have just tried my Roku Ultra box, and via SUB port, played back the HLG version of LG jazz and it played back in HDR HLG, so all Roku 4 HDR boxes must be HLG capable. Not seen this posted any where else, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Samsung  KS series TV's are still excellent, so come on Samsung please deliver HDR10 + and fix the HLG playback for other sources. And internal BBC iPlayer app. 

Could it be that Samsung fixed the EDID issue in the last firmware and its only now we have found an external HLG enabled iPlayer that we are seeing the result?

No EDID Issue not  fixed by last firmware update, as Fire TV 3 BBC app, for a short period of time played back the Planet Earth HLG trial clip. Then suddenly it was no more and the tech reference on Amazon developers page referring to HLG playback disappeared as well. 

Both UK and Italy have same version of firmware 1220.7, and USA has 1220.6. 

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

I have just popped down to the local Curry's and  1. reminded them that I haven't forgotten about bringing my TV back for miss-selling - just to keep the coals warm/hot and   2. to buy a Roku Streaming Stick +.   Advertised originally at £79.99, now £59.99 and when I got there reduced further to £52.98 (stick £39.99 plus Customer Support Agreement £12.99).  Additionally they through in a 3-year "Instant Replacement Plan" - god knows what this is, I asked but was very confused with the answer I was given.

Going to set it up later as going out for lunch.  Hopefully there is still some HLG stuff available to demo?  Assuming there is, I will give my thoughts later

0 Likes
stevej190
Pioneer
Options

@Rozel

At the moment the UHD test trial on the beta version is the football loop. Nothing else currently there as far as I can see. Still pretty impressive though and at least you are ready for any additional content. 

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Sky's announced its broadcasting the Isle of Wight Festival LIVE in 4k AND Dolby Atmos. 19 hours worth in total.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Sky's announced its broadcasting the Isle of Wight Festival LIVE in 4k AND Dolby Atmos. 19 hours worth in total.

Nice.  Sigh, I'm a VM customer :-<.  Will that be HDR as well?

0 Likes
About-Time
Explorer
Options

@rozel wrote:

I have just popped down to the local Curry's and  1. reminded them that I haven't forgotten about bringing my TV back for miss-selling - just to keep the coals warm/hot and   2. to buy a Roku Streaming Stick +.   Advertised originally at £79.99, now £59.99 and when I got there reduced further to £52.98 (stick £39.99 plus Customer Support Agreement £12.99).  Additionally they through in a 3-year "Instant Replacement Plan" - god knows what this is, I asked but was very confused with the answer I was given.

Going to set it up later as going out for lunch.  Hopefully there is still some HLG stuff available to demo?  Assuming there is, I will give my thoughts later

My local Currys still £59.99, there could be a local price match. For others might be worth waiting till weekend to see if price reduced for bank holiday. Even if you buy at the higher price and locally it's available at a lower price later, go back and invoke their price match promise. Argos currently £59.99, and online Sainsbury £55.00,  online Tesco £59.00 - not sure of instore price though.

0 Likes
stevej190
Pioneer
Options

Really not sure why, but my wife picked one up in Curry’s and got charged £39. They said it had £20 off so perhaps applied it twice as it’s already discounted. Happy days though. 

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

I got mine via Amazon for £59.99.  Set it up and watching the iPlayer UHD demo loop - football.  Its very impressive. Out of interest I have my settings as follows:

Display type: Auto detect (if I manually set it to 4K 60Hz HLG would not kick in)

In System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings I have

Auto-adjust display refresh rate : Enabed  (this then plays the demo in 50Hz and not 60Hz)

Pretty impressive.

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@blenky @About-Time @dunwell @stevej190 @rozel   Hi. It's been asked a couple of times but so far gone unanswered. As far as the sharpness/ detail is concerned, how does the roku+ compare to Over The Air broadcast 1080p BBC1? Can you see more detail in the faces of the footballers, of the football and the pitch in longshot? I'm not asking about the colours or brightness as I own the JS set and the HLG is not supported. Please tell me about the picture sharpness and movement/ judder when the ball is in motion.

Many thanks in advance. Cris.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@crashcris wrote:

@blenky @About-Time @dunwell @stevej190 @rozel   Hi. It's been asked a couple of times but so far gone unanswered. As far as the sharpness/ detail is concerned, how does the roku+ compare to Over The Air broadcast 1080p BBC1? Can you see more detail in the faces of the footballers, of the football and the pitch in longshot? I'm not asking about the colours or brightness as I own the JS set and the HLG is not supported. Please tell me about the picture sharpness and movement/ judder when the ball is in motion.

Many thanks in advance. Cris.

It varies - must be down to bandwidth.  Mostly though it is sharper than 1080i BBC (comapring to my VM V6 box).  The 4K loop is very sharp, bright and colourful.  Not quite as impressive as HDR10 but still good.  I set the Roku to match display rate so the TV is reporting

HDR UHD 3840x2160 / 50p HDMI UHD Color.

Smooth as a babys botty!