Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 19-05-2018 05:36 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
chopples123
Voyager
Options

Dont want to add to the confusion fellas but isnt the roku 4k and roku streaming stick + actually 2 different devices? 

The streaming stick + is alot newer i think, released late last year. The original roku 4k was released in 2016, just be careful what you buy because as far as i can tell only the newer product has been  confirmed

cheers

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

agreed, what hifi have just read the BBC article posted earlier this week and drawn there own conclusions

Indeed. What Hi-Fi is a pathetic joke these days and not taken seriously by anyone in the industry.

Markbo
Explorer
Options

Posted this earlier but think there was a problem so posting again

Some additional questions for those who have bought the Roku Stick.

How does the picture compare with built in apps for YouTube and Netflix when showing 4K HDR content?

I have a JS8000 and have been dissappointed with the picture quality of Netflix 4k HDR, although YouTube's 4k even without the HDR (as the JS series built in app doesnt support HDR on YouTube) is quite good. However, the LG Jazz demo clip in 4K HDR is quite spectacular. I'm waiting for someone else with a JS TV to report on the Roku's results as I don't want to shell out for something that doesn't give me much more than I already have.

0 Likes
About-Time
Explorer
Options

@Markbo wrote:

How does the picture compare with built in apps for YouTube and Netflix when showing 4K HDR content?

I have a JS8000 and have been dissappointed with the picture quality of Netflix 4k HDR, although YouTube's 4k even without the HDR (as the JS series built in app doesnt support HDR on YouTube) is quite good. However, the LG Jazz demo clip in 4K HDR is quite spectacular. I'm waiting for someone else with a JS TV to report on the Roku's results as I don't want to shell out for something that doesn't give me much more than I already have.

@Markbo wrote:

Netflix 4k HDR10 about same as KS series, but you have a JS. YouTube 4K HDR10 only, no HLG support, Amazon Prime no HDR10 support only 4k (only US has HDR10 support and Amazon or Roku have time timeframe for implementation for the UK)

ROKU STICK + Cost at Currys just under £60, with saving of £20 applied, well at least at my local Currys. 

Roku 4K, Roku ULTRA etc ONLY available in US (but can be imported from US Amazon cheaply), and BBC apps not supported at all. 

Of course my TV is a KS series, hope above helps.

0 Likes
stevej190
Pioneer
Options
https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/compare#sku=3900EU&3810EU

According to the Riki site, there are 2 products, one in hd only and the other in 4k so hopefully it should be straightforward enough.
0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@stevej190 wrote:
https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/compare#sku=3900EU&3810EU

According to the Riki site, there are 2 products, one in hd only and the other in 4k so hopefully it should be straightforward enough.

Should be simple enough as the price is your clue.  The 4K one is at its cheapest about £60.  I ordered mine from Amazon - see link below.  For those with Prime order now and get it tomorrow!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076FH18TC?aaxitk=2GQ8kB39g7Js5y1YA0Wm8A&pd_rd_i=B076FH18TC&pf_rd_m=A3P5...

0 Likes
Markbo
Explorer
Options
@Markbo wrote:

Netflix 4k HDR10 about same as KS series, but you have a JS. YouTube 4K HDR10 only, no HLG support, Amazon Prime no HDR10 support only 4k (only US has HDR10 support and Amazon or Roku have time timeframe for implementation for the UK)

ROKU STICK + Cost at Currys just under £60, with saving of £20 applied, well at least at my local Currys. 

Roku 4K, Roku ULTRA etc ONLY available in US (but can be imported from US Amazon cheaply), and BBC apps not supported at all. 

Of course my TV is a KS series, hope above helps.

Thanks About-Time

0 Likes
About-Time
Explorer
Options

@blenky wrote:

@stevej190 wrote:
HDMI , I thought it was but suddenly panicked as people refer to these as usb sticks sometimes and that wouldn’t work with my Denon receiver so all good, the good wife is picking one up for me today.
Next week Samsung will no doubt update the tv rendering the Roku pointless!!

Not really. Even if they sort out the EDID I still need an iPlayer that will be 4K enabled  

Just for info I power my Roku Stick + (4k) from the connect lower amp USB port. I would recommend  you get the free HDMI EXTENSION LEAD FROM ROKU UK, APPLY BY ONLINE FORM, BUT YOU WILL NEED THE SERIAL NUMBER OF STICK.

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

A few futher points to add now that I've had the evening to play with the Roku Streaming Stick+

(1) The PQ on the UHD HLG stream was still awful, far too bright and washed out. I changed the Roku display setting from AutoDiscover to 4K 60Hz and also the HDR Color Profile to 4:4:2 in advanced settings. After applying these changes the FA Cup UHD loop looked a lot better.

(2) To benchmark against other services is a little unfair. The HDR colour *was* there, with some impressive contrasts on close ups. The 'main camera' was pretty average and slightly worse than Sky's UHD sports broadcasts. Frankly, this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who watches MOTD and can see the degradation in quality after the BBC have got their hands on the footage!

(3) Intriguingly the FA Cup Final from today had a "Watch UHD Trial" option tagged on it but selecting this returns an error. This may have been a closed trial but I don't know - no amount of tinkering got this to work.

(4) The UHD trial content would only work in iPlayer Beta Mode - anything else returned an error.

(5) Genuinely impressed with how much better the Roku Apps are compared to the built in Samsung Smart TV apps - so refreshing to select channels which actually load quickly and work properly!

stevej190
Pioneer
Options

Just got my Roku Streaming+ set up and straight to iPlayer I went! 

Watching the football test loop now and yes it’s playing in wonderful HDR - just as others have confirmed.  Info button on my KS7000 confirms HDR and backlight went to 20 so all good. 

Quality, as someone else said is occasionally less than perfect but the close ups are very good - I’m being picky here, it is a test after all. 

This could be the cheapest solution for iPlayer for  KS owners, can’t comment on the JS.