Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 19-05-2018 10:35 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@About-Time wrote:

Misinformation from whom, please my original posting "Quick update, just changed Roku Auto-adjust display refresh rate to disabled and still showing HDR  UHD 3840X2160/60 as expected, hdr sampling on 422. Last october my fire tv 3 box, showed HDR as well, but after a few days, BBC iplayer had Animal Planet loop removed, plus in developers page HLG got removed. So maybe Amazon will restore. "

And see follow up post were hlg mentioned.

I like the nice big letters, but HDR is not HLG.

0 Likes
About-Time
Explorer
Options

In my original post I said "In Theory", following article explains in simple terms, my statements:

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hybrid-log-gamma-explained-new-hdr-tv-broadcast-format

Of course over the internet construction/component parts of stream can be different.

I agree that some TV's do not recognise HLG STREAM , including KS series, just turn off HDMI UHD color setting for Roku Stick +, and you have a snow scene. So make sure HDMI port set to ON IF YOU TEST THE ROKU STICK +.

Plus my Panasonic 700 Uhd bluray player, from SUB stick, will identify LG Hlg Jazz clip as HLG, but my KS7000 tv will not recognise it as HLG, but if you set the HLG / PQ Conversion, to automatic the hlg signal converted to HDR (PQ) format. PERHAPS ANOTHER ROUTE FOR HDR LIVE SIGNAL.

OH BOY ALL I DID WAS TO REPORT ROKU STICK + BBC IPLAYER HLG STREAM.

NOW I KNOW WHY I DON'T NORMALLY POST ON THIS FORUM.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

For the planet earth 2 demo u just need to have iPlayer selected in the try new features bit and then play Ultra HD trial. For the footy you have iplayer BETA selected in the same bit (will probably restart the app if not already ticked) then select the same Play Ultra HD Trial button

cheers

Thanks, and also to @TastyBurger666 . I'm not seeing it so it's clearly not supported at the moment. Which leads me to: @About-Time I'm sorry I misread your post earlier. I join you in hoping that Amazon will restore the functionality.

Have a nice weekend all.

0 Likes
About-Time
Explorer
Options

Of course I meant HLG HDR, HLG is a form of HDR. AT LEAST FORUM NOW ALIVE AGAIN.

About-Time
Explorer
Options
SAME TO YOU, HAVE A NICE WEEKEND, PERHAPS HLG STREAM FOR ROYAL WEDDING ONLY, AND NOT FOR SPORT.
0 Likes
About-Time
Explorer
Options
Just one last thought hope BBC repeat Blue planet II, as great in 4K, when shown, so Roku Stick + / Samsung KS series owners can enjoy it in HLG HDR.
0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@About-Time wrote:
SAME TO YOU, HAVE A NICE WEEKEND, PERHAPS HLG STREAM FOR ROYAL WEDDING ONLY, AND NOT FOR SPORT.

Don't see royal wedding in hlg, instead footie seems to be in loop for uhd

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@About-Time wrote:

Can confirm no royal wedding in hlg. Also looks lime no world football in 4k hlg from iplayer.  Source from What HiFi. 

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

@About-Time wrote:

Can confirm no royal wedding in hlg. Also looks lime no world football in 4k hlg from iplayer.  Source from What HiFi. 

Football world cup isn't ruled out yet, probably discussing with ITV who are yet to roll out uhd

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

agreed, what hifi have just read the BBC article posted earlier this week and drawn there own conclusions

0 Likes