Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 09-05-2018 12:57 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
chopples123
Voyager
Options

Sky got there fingers burnt with 3d, they launched a channel and 90% of the time it was a loop

This way they have it now is 1 transponder dedicated to 2 channels which sit behind the scenes and light up when content is being broadcasted, you access it either by a notification on the HD broadcast or by accessing the Ultra HD section. Not sure about the recording 1-2 days in advance I can schedule recordings for the footy on sunday? There has been instances where the F1 wasnt available but this was a glitch, and not by design. The Programmes are not in the EPG but everything both broadcast and on demand is viewable in the Ultra HD section. Its been like this since August 2016 (when it launched) and besides the bugs people seem to be generally happy with the platform

cheers

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

I dont think Sky's approach is a test mate. This is how they have been handling live broadcasts with UHD for the past 18 months (UHD stream behind a red button)

cheers

I know there's a Sky One UHD channel as that shows up in the EPG (mrtickle, it does show up in the new Sky Q software update but right down at the bottom of the EPG), but I wasn't aware Sky News were running a UHD service.

Thanks!

There is 2 channels mate U1 and Sky Ultra HD both broadcast from 11758H 

edit... Sky will be using one of these for the wedding, hidden behind the red button or availabe via the UHD section

cheers

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

Sky got there fingers burnt with 3d, they launched a channel and 90% of the time it was a loop

This way they have it now is 1 transponder dedicated to 2 channels which sit behind the scenes and light up when content is being broadcasted, you access it either by a notification on the HD broadcast or by accessing the Ultra HD section. Not sure about the recording 1-2 days in advance I can schedule recordings for the footy on sunday? There has been instances where the F1 wasnt available but this was a glitch, and not by design. The Programmes are not in the EPG but everything both broadcast and on demand is viewable in the Ultra HD section. Its been like this since August 2016 (when it launched) and besides the bugs people seem to be generally happy with the platform

cheers

Sky One UHD was showing in the EPG for me at least earlier in the week, whether that was an error or not I don't know (but possibly since our main box is only the 1tb version)

chopples123
Voyager
Options

could be an error, especially with all the EPG/UI updates.

I cant see anything on my 2tb silver, I cant actually seem to see the BBC trial on it anymore either. I looked as i wondered if the footy clip might be there

cheers

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options
This phone can record video in HDR10: https://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-G7-ThinQ-hidden-HDR10-video_id104593

So can Sony's new 2018 phone, as well.

Let's hope broadcasters start using similar technology to record live in HDR10 as well, so that way we don't have to put up with this whole HLG EDID mess. :winking-face:
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@AntS  Hi Moderator.   we are still waiting for a statement . Please can you escalate up your Samsung management.    I know there is a  petition going around for  HDR10+ support.  Samsung keeping quite is not helpling us.

those who are hoping for any updates from Samsung should accept that this is never gonna happen

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1525936564fpup.JPG

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

@AntS  Hi Moderator.   we are still waiting for a statement . Please can you escalate up your Samsung management.    I know there is a  petition going around for  HDR10+ support.  Samsung keeping quite is not helpling us.

those who are hoping for any updates from Samsung should accept that this is never gonna happen

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1525936564fpup.JPG

Good on flatpanels! I was going to ask why you included that link, as the text doesn't appear in the email alerts I get.

But I can see that the recent fiasco has gone a long way up the chain if they are doing this. They are going to take upgradeability of the core OS into account when scoring the TV, and an indication of the company's attitude to support. Bravo.

My take on their text inserted below:

===begin quote

Q9FN is built on a well-functioning Tizen operating system and offers one of the best user experiences integrated in a “Smart TV”, but unfortunately Tizen IS NOT GETTING UPDATES, WHICH IS A VERY BAD PRACTICE that has FORCED us to change our test criteria this year.

[...]

Samsung has told us that it has no intentions of updating previous years’ models to the latest Tizen software (version 4.0). It will not commit to updating this year’s Tizen software once the next major version arrives next year either.

[...]

Change in test parameters: Starting this year we will make a change to a test parameter that relates to the features score, following YEARS OF POOR PRACTICE in the TV industry. Unless a manufacturer of a given “Smart TV” can provide FlatpanelsHD with assurance that the TV platform will be updated to the next major version, the feature score will be lowered by 10 points. We hope that our initiative can help HIGHLIGHT THE PROBLEM, START A DISCUSSION, AND CHANGE THE PRACTICE. 

Negative points:

Narrow viewing angles
Backlight sometimes gets “confused“
Tizen not getting updates

===end quote

So there you have it - they've put Tizen not getting updates right up there as a negative with the same impact as narrow viewing angles etc. This is a very welcome spotlight.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@AntS  Any update on what Samsung are doing for  2015/2016 model TV owners?  

Jay108
Voyager
Options

Seems  many of us have given up on Samsung to do the right thing. Company that promise things and never delivers. There must be a law to protect consumers from companies like Samsung. 

About-Time
Explorer
Options
Maybe Maybe, just fired up Roku Stick +, BBC IPlayer UHD loop now working, showing Southampton v WBA tie, and my Samsung KS7000 reporting HDR UHD 3840x2160/50 (info button), via connect HDMI input and via my Denon AVR. Can somebody else please check.