Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 09-05-2018 10:00 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Antonino_75
Apprentice
Options
I wait and hope for the next months. But if Samsung decide to not update the KS series (2016) to latest HDR software algoritms, my next TV brand will be Sony.
SammyMan
Apprentice
Options

I wait and hope for the next months. But if Samsung decide to not update the KS series (2016) to latest HDR software algoritms, my next TV brand will be Sony.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@AntS  Hi Moderator.   we are still waiting for a statement . Please can you escalate up your Samsung management.    I know there is a  petition going around for  HDR10+ support.  Samsung keeping quite is not helpling us.

stevej190
Pioneer
Options
Not that any of us would be aware, but the BBC have now put up a football trial in UHD HLG on the beta iplayer site, most people are reporting that its very impressive , especially in a darkened room. Its certainly looking possible that the world cup and maybe Wimbledon may be broadcast using it. Not that we would know.
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@stevej190 wrote:
Not that any of us would be aware, but the BBC have now put up a football trial in UHD HLG on the beta iplayer site, most people are reporting that its very impressive , especially in a darkened room. Its certainly looking possible that the world cup and maybe Wimbledon may be broadcast using it. Not that we would know.

I've yet to test to test it  but noticed the football trial was reported on a few sites and encouraging for the future (though would be more interested in Wimbledon myself), looks like some will be missing out.  You'd think there would've been far more publicity.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Also note that (if you're interested) Sky News have started doing limited UHD programme tests, and have announced they'll be showing the Royal Wedding in UHD live, and simulcasting on Sky One UHD.

https://news.sky.com/story/world-first-for-sky-news-royal-wedding-coverage-11355412

(And creepily, they're employing face-recognition tech to identify the guests as they arrive at the Church)

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

I dont think Sky's approach is a test mate. This is how they have been handling live broadcasts with UHD for the past 18 months (UHD stream behind a red button)

cheers

stevej190
Pioneer
Options
To be honest, in my opinion UHD without HDR is just meh, nothing to write home about at all. I'm just worried that my KS7000 will be left behind when HDR is done by the BBC and SKY, actually mad and worried.
0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

I dont think Sky's approach is a test mate. This is how they have been handling live broadcasts with UHD for the past 18 months (UHD stream behind a red button)

cheers

Yes this is why people can be forgiven for thinking it's a test!

Who would actually launch a service where there are:

• no visible stations carrying 4K  content,
  • no listings for the programmes in the EPG,
  • no way of setting a recording up until only 1-2 days before hand,

- it's all so slapdash and half-hearted it's ludicrous. But yes, incredible but true, this is Sky's actually launched 4k service!!

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

cheers

I know there's a Sky One UHD channel as that shows up in the EPG (mrtickle, it does show up in the new Sky Q software update but right down at the bottom of the EPG), but I wasn't aware Sky News were running a UHD service.

Thanks!