Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 23-04-2018 08:01 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

Has any one updated their TV with 1220.7 firmware?  

Yes, many of us. 

I own a colorimeter and have measured a dramatic increase in brightness in HDR, after lot of people were posting anecdotally that it seemed brighter. It's true.

fw1208, peak brightess problem:

2pt-HDR-greyscale-eotf-before.png

new f1220.7:

Movie-HDR-greyscale-eotf-Auto White.PNG

you know what they say - a picture tells 1,200 words :smiling-face:

Peak brightness was 600 nits prior to 1220? That doesn't seem right based on all of the reviews of the KS series TVs. Seems way off.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

Yes it was way off. I wasn't happy about it. We don't know when it happened but it would have been a recent firmware. Possibly the November one.

Equally, I am VERY happy now!

Lots and lots of people have noticed the brightness has increased, so it wasn't my panel being faulty and miraculously repairing itself, which is my main relief :smiling-face:

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

Yes it was way off. I wasn't happy about it. We don't know when it happened but it would have been a recent firmware. Possibly the November one.

Equally, I am VERY happy now!

Lots and lots of people have noticed the brightness has increased, so it wasn't my panel being faulty and miraculously repairing itself, which is my main relief :smiling-face:

I wonder if it was a European firmware issue. Were you guys on 1208 long? I was on 1208 for about a week, and then 1209 became available on the SK site. So I didn't spend much time with 1208.

For me, the picture has remained consistently great and bright since I purchased the TV a couple of years ago. I haven't noticed any variation between the firmware updates. 

Alternatively, are you sure something didn't go wrong in your measurements? If firmware 1208 would have been responsible for such a large reduction in peak brightness, surely many people would have noticed and complained about it. The depth and overall quality of the HDR would have taken a huge hit.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@UHDHDR wrote:

I wonder if it was a European firmware issue. Were you guys on 1208 long? I was on 1208 for about a week, and then 1209 became available on the SK site. So I didn't spend much time with 1208.

1208.2 since 14th Nov 2017. 1209 was never available here 😞

Alternatively, are you sure something didn't go wrong in your measurements? If firmware 1208 would have been responsible for such a large reduction in peak brightness, surely many people would have noticed and complained about it. The depth and overall quality of the HDR would have taken a huge hit.

I can't be sure, no 😞 But I double and triple-checked that I had Smart LED=High. Either way, very happy now :smiling-face:

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

So... still twiddling fingers waiting for that update, while the BBC crack on and figure out how to do live HLG broadcasts through iPlayer...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/04/23/live-4k-world-cup-coverage-in-the-uk-just-got-a-l...

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

So... still twiddling fingers waiting for that update, while the BBC crack on and figure out how to do live HLG broadcasts through iPlayer...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/04/23/live-4k-world-cup-coverage-in-the-uk-just-got-a-l...

Interesting article, thanks.

"High quality real-time HEVC encoding of UHD is still in its infancy, and is much more demanding for live programmes than for on-demand. That means we need to use higher distribution bitrates, and that people’s TVs will need to work harder to show the best picture."

They really hate using decent high bitrates, don't they? I've noticed their satellite HD bitrates have been reduced again recently. Must keep that quality in check and prevent it looking too good! :smileyfrustrated: :smileymad:

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

so what are the chances the KS will be able to show the world cup on Iplayer 4K HLG?

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Interesting article, thanks.

"High quality real-time HEVC encoding of UHD is still in its infancy, and is much more demanding for live programmes than for on-demand. That means we need to use higher distribution bitrates, and that people’s TVs will need to work harder to show the best picture."

They really hate using decent high bitrates, don't they? I've noticed their satellite HD bitrates have been reduced again recently. Must keep that quality in check and prevent it looking too good! :smileyfrustrated: :smileymad:

Who has reduced their bitrate - the BBC or Sky?  Also how do you know the HD bitrates have been reduced?  

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

so what are the chances the KS will be able to show the world cup on Iplayer 4K HLG?

I would guess zero chance.  The only way is for Samsung to fix the EDID so the set recognises incoming HLG and then to feed it a 4K HLG iPlayer stream from another device that supports it.

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

It sounds like BBC, Its really easy to tell as its FTA, linux boxes, PC  with Sat cards are all capable of showing the bitrate in realtime. Another way which can be done on a sky box for example is to check a recording and do a sum involving the file size and length and also adjusting for 8 bits in a byte. 

cheers

0 Likes